Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Electric Cooker Recommendations

Puddy_Tat

naturally fluffy
On the basis the last thread like this was 2009...

The grill on my electric cooker has died. I was quoted £ 180 for getting and fitting a new element (and didn't hear back from two other places who do repairs.) I found a new replacement element online for £ 15 and bought and fitted it. It still doesn't bloody work, so it's probably the thermostat which is going to be more complicated and expensive to replace.

Since the darn thing came with the flat nearly 20 years ago and wasn't new then, I've decided enough is enough. £ 15 was worth taking a chance, any more isn't.

Any recommendations (either to get or avoid) both in terms of cooker and who to get it from?

I can't face doing second hand and having to organise transport, connecting and disposing of old one separately, a few places will deliver, install and shift the old one.

Not looking for anything all that fancy - I live on my own and don't do a huge amount of cooking, but not in a position where I've got to look for the absolute cheapest out there.

I know gas hobs are better but can't face the prospect of un-capping the gas pipe and so on (or at least that's what i think it is - and it's in the wrong place the way the kitchen's laid out now.)

And are fan ovens good / worth it? I occasionally cook stuff in the oven, but not that often (I don't go in for baking or roasts.)

Air fryer? :)

Yeah - get an electric hob and an air fryer if you don't need an oven. Of course, this leaves you with a big oven shaped gap in your kitchen.

We have a couple of air fryers and they are great imho. We do also have ovens but these are used much less since we got the air fryers as they don't need to warm up for as long - so cook quicker. Easier to clean (smaller).

I would have thought you could use air fryer to grill stuff (cheese on toast and things). I did see one air fryer of decent size that would easily have done toast. Not sure what it was though :(

I'm so impressed with the one I was given. Does fish and chips (had tonight) and chicken and steak and all sorts of stuff. Much lower electricity use I'd have thought, too :)

eta: I think this was it. I've got a basic one but that and inductive hob does for me nicely.

eta eta: I'd make a list of the things you like to cook and then search them with 'air fryer' and see whether you can do them.

Last edited:
Being a keen cook I kind of baulk at the idea that you can replace an oven with an air fryer - I mean I love my air fryer but it's not going to do when I am cooking a massive roast dinner for relatives. It all sounds a bit student bedsit iykwim.

But if you never do that sort of cooking then your mileage may vary I suppose...

Being a keen cook I kind of baulk at the idea that you can replace an oven with an air fryer - I mean I love my air fryer but it's not going to do when I am cooking a massive roast dinner for relatives. It all sounds a bit student bedsit iykwim.

But if you never do that sort of cooking then your mileage may vary I suppose...
Take your point but there's only me and my sis and she lives 200 miles away. And I'm not inviting people round anyway :)

Take your point but there's only me and my sis and she lives 200 miles away. And I'm not inviting people round anyway :)

You see with my cooking habits I'm currently squarely in the double oven demographic, even though I am normally cooking for 2. And my god I would love a bigger one - 6 or 8 hobs, multiple oven compartments - I fantasise about having a massive cooker! As well as the air fryer :)

My Belling with top oven and lower fan oven has served me well since I got it getting on for 7 years ago. AO were v easy to deal with.

Judging by recent posts about cookers here, avoid Beko.

(I'll see if I can find the thread where RubyToogood was posting about issues with a new cooker from them).

Agree with avoid Beko sentiment.

I had a Belling electric cooker that lasted for years, was sufficiently impressed by its longevity/quality that I'm thinking of getting another when I finally renovate my kitchen. Although there's always the risk of 'They don't make things like they used to' and I don't know if the build quality is the same nowadays. They're reasonably priced too.

Sounds like Beko is a no, then (although my fridge / freezer is Beko - it also came with the flat about 20 years ago, but was new)

I have a Belling microwave, that was house-warming present from mum-tat at previous house so must be about 28 years old.

They don't seem to do the 'baby belling' thing any more which might be about as ambitious as my cooking gets (i think i might have used 3 hobs at the same time once or twice)

You see with my cooking habits I'm currently squarely in the double oven demographic, even though I am normally cooking for 2. And my god I would love a bigger one - 6 or 8 hobs, multiple oven compartments - I fantasise about having a massive cooker! As well as the air fryer :)
You could just get a second cooker. :)

Back
Top Bottom