Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Dulwich Hamlet v. Eastbourne Borough, 28th January 2023

Maybe if the manager wasn’t hamstrung by the players on contract that he can’t get rid of and wasn’t having to cut the budget whilst getting the team out of trouble.
Knowing what is wrong is one thing, getting players in with no money is a whole different thing.

I honestly didnt think it was bad at all. Draw would have been a fair result, IMO. We had two shots cleared off the line - if they'd gone in different game altogether. Our defending is ropey, clearly, but we create chances and have plenty of shots, even against decent, well-managed sides like Eastbourne.

Deflating to lose certainly, but until their 2nd one I thought we matched them pound for pound pretty much. Their 16 was different gravy, mind - I'll be staggered if he's anywhere the NLS next season.

Definitely some players in there that we could do with letting go, and if I were Barnes I wouldn't know what to do with some of them. One of starting 11 today was very evidently not match fit - but if they're contracted and he can't get anyone new in, what's he meant to do. (I'd take Eweka back in a heartbeat.)

It's a bad run, but I still think we play some good football. Think we've just got to grit our teeth and ride it out until the summer.

Who’s on contract s then u must be in the know Nothing to do with recent results contract players don’t have to play where’s all the academy players gone. Budgets can’t be a problem 3.000 again today

Maybe if the manager wasn’t hamstrung by the players on contract that he can’t get rid of and wasn’t having to cut the budget whilst getting the team out of trouble.
Knowing what is wrong is one thing, getting players in with no money is a whole different thing.
And without any playing infrastructure below the first team squad to boot. It’s a shocking hand that Barnes has been dealt.

How about nearly every player.

Simplistic to think the club is awash with money when costs of matchday are large plus a stadium that costs a fortune to maintain.
Do you seriously think Academy players could play at the current level? You are aware who ran the Academy?

Last edited:
Who’s on contract s then u must be in the know Nothing to do with recent results contract players don’t have to play where’s all the academy players gone. Budgets can’t be a problem 3.000 again today

You mean the Academy set up and run by our former management team that was Dulwich Hamlet in name only?

16 goals conceded in the last 5 games, or something like it, only Dulwich could turn a hard fought 1:0 win into a 3:1 loss, at home, in front of a huge crown. Maybe its down to dry Jan, but I've come away bitterly disappointed and let down after todays performance. On the plus side, we created loads of chances, just can't seem to get the finishing. great when Joe Felix cam on to see an immediate injection of pace and enthusiasm, great asset. Would go to Weymouth, but rail replacement bus as well as the cost of the train mean a break for me, maybe it will all be different next time....

There seems to be a Catch-22 situation with players and management something that new managers have to face in all levels of football, with varying degrees of success. Was trying to remember what it was like for Gavin all those years ago though of course so much was different with that, players & budget wise. Safe to say Gavin was given plenty of time to bed in and create his squad. As far the current squad as a player it must be pretty demotivating to read in forums like this that their manager & club is keen to offload them. Hardly surprising that some aren’t performing to the best of their abilities.

Paula G. You are so right I’m sure players do read this forum. It’s people on forum. Make it worse than it is. We must be positive. 5/6 people moaning all the time about this or that.

I believe Ebbsfleet and their massive budget were even lower not so long ago. Happens to every side, every season. I don't think all hope is lost just because we're in poor form.
The team formerly known as Gravesend & Northfleet had a run of four defeats on the spin from mid December to New Year. This included conceding eight goals to Dartford home and away over the “not so festive for them” period. This saw them drop from the first spot they had occupied since day one of the season down to the depths of third. They’ve promptly recovered and won five on the spin to reclaim top spot. Can we recover to win five games on the bounce? The jury must be out on that one.

I've thought on a number of occasions that we seem to lose interest in pressing in the second half, whereas I thought we did well in the first half.

Meanwhile Josh Hill doing a great job at Hemel. Surely we needs to be straight in the team alongside Jack when his loan is up. He’s not lost a game I don’t think at either Enfield or Hemel when he’s played

That's a good point. I wonder though if we have the budget to take him back - I assume Hemel and Enfield have paid his wages up until now?

God, what a mess.

I've thought on a number of occasions that we seem to lose interest in pressing in the second half, whereas I thought we did well in the first half.

Agree. Thought the pressing sloped off in the second half. The second goal came about bc we gave their best player by a country mile buckets of time to cut inside and shoot.

Interesting that it happened towards the end, and we looked like we were hanging on. I didn't think we lacked effort, but I wonder how fit the squad is generally. Eastbourne seemed to have a greater intensity for that last 20 mins.

The team formerly known as Gravesend & Northfleet had a run of four defeats on the spin from mid December to New Year. This included conceding eight goals to Dartford home and away over the “not so festive for them” period. This saw them drop from the first spot they had occupied since day one of the season down to the depths of third. They’ve promptly recovered and won five on the spin to reclaim top spot. Can we recover to win five games on the bounce? The jury must be out on that one.

But we don't need to win 5 games on the spin to make this all OK. Ebbsfleet would find that much easier given their budget must be at least 5 times the size of ours.

I can't remember who said it earlier, but there was a post about needing 6 wins until the end of the season to stay safe. That has to be the objective. We just need to stop the rot and chalk up a win or two (even a draw) soonish to just level things off and restore a bit of confidence.

That is no small task though, given that we have a pretty small budget, we have a squad that, bar Powell and Thompson, has not been signed by the current manager, and we have a group of players that are contracted and not easy to move on. It is a difficult set of circumstances. Now there's question marks over fitness. If he can win 5 games on the bounce in those conditions, I should think we'll do well to keep him in the summer.

Agree. Thought the pressing sloped off in the second half. The second goal came about bc we gave their best player by a country mile buckets of time to cut inside and shoot.

Interesting that it happened towards the end, and we looked like we were hanging on. I didn't think we lacked effort, but I wonder how fit the squad is generally. Eastbourne seemed to have a greater intensity for that last 20 mins.
I wonder how fit they are as well. With 2 x 2 hour training sessions a week fitness must be down to the individual. Is it monitored/tested? Do the wear their 'bras' for monitoring?
Paula mentioned that things said on here might demotivate players; I think it should be the kick up the arse some need. Those not putting in a shift know who they are, and the good guys 'to their own selves are true '

So we have players that (apparently) the club/management is trying to move on, something being very publicly stated on here, yet we’re also expecting those same players to go out and get the results that are needed to keep the club in NLS. I hope to (insert relevant deity here) that this is not the case as it seems a pretty bizarre approach to management from this position.

I wonder how fit they are as well. With 2 x 2 hour training sessions a week fitness must be down to the individual. Is it monitored/tested? Do the wear their 'bras' for monitoring?
Paula mentioned that things said on here might demotivate players; I think it should be the kick up the arse some need. Those not putting in a shift know who they are, and the good guys 'to their own selves are true '

Yeh, I don't know. I guess a certain level of basic fitness work is expected outside of training hours. Guess that's not something you can really define in a contract though.

I do know pre season can have a lot to do with it. For those that assume that I'm just GR-bashing again, I know Craig Edwards does a notorious pre season fitness programme (it's got a name but I can't remember it). Think the logic is that you have to build/maximise the fitness of the players in the summer, so that they're fit enough for the rest of the season. If there's one thing you can say of Craig's sides, it's that they're extremely fit!

Again, I think it just points to another problem that we can only truly unpick in the summer.

So we have players that (apparently) the club/management is trying to move on, something being very publicly stated on here, yet we’re also expecting those same players to go out and get the results that are needed to keep the club in NLS. I hope to (insert relevant deity here) that this is not the case as it seems a pretty bizarre approach to management from this position.
Paula I am pretty sure that if the manager is stating this some players need to be moved on that those players also know that already. Some will choose to down tools and others will battle to prove him wrong. To free up budget some need to move and that is just how football works at every level.

Back
Top Bottom