Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Dulwich Hamlet Transfers Summer 2020

Wonder which one of them will be played left wing.

Looking at the way people have played preseason, I think we could actually be looking at a 3 - 4 - 3 . Both Moore and Hyde like to come in from wide areas, leaving Mills as the focal point of the attack. Timlin drops in between the centre half pairing, with Musampa, Ming or Barnes as the wide men. Higgs and Sammut in the middle.

Allassani is obviously a bit of a Hamlet legend but to be honest given his lengthy injury list I just want to see him stay fit at first - probably as an impact sub. I've done the cruciate in my right knee twice, and broken my right ankle: I've lost a lot of pace as a result despite the best efforts of my physio. I didn't exactly have any spare to start with...

Allassani is obviously a bit of a Hamlet legend but to be honest given his lengthy injury list I just want to see him stay fit at first - probably as an impact sub. I've done the cruciate in my right knee twice, and broken my right ankle: I've lost a lot of pace as a result despite the best efforts of my physio. I didn't exactly have any spare to start with...

Agree re Allassani. Apart from Erhun and Ethan, I don't think I've seen a better player in a Dulwich shirt. I do wonder, however, where he's going to fit in. We never play two up front and I don't think we'll play him as a free-roaming No. 10 either (which is where I'd want him to be). If we are playing wing backs, maybe he'll form part of the front three. Not sure.

Alternatively, maybe we could shove him out on the left like we did with Ade Yuss... Maybe not.

Agree re Allassani. Apart from Erhun and Ethan, I don't think I've seen a better player in a Dulwich shirt. I do wonder, however, where he's going to fit in. We never play two up front and I don't think we'll play him as a free-roaming No. 10 either (which is where I'd want him to be). If we are playing wing backs, maybe he'll form part of the front three. Not sure.

Alternatively, maybe we could shove him out on the left like we did with Ade Yuss... Maybe not.

Or Akinyemi or Mullings...

Even without the pace Allassani is a threat due to his natural finishing ability which has to be one of the best at this level. I’d like to see him play high and around Mills with little distance to cover when he receives the ball. From what I’ve seen of our wide players and Full backs pre-season we have the legs to get up the pitch. Allassani will bring the goal threat we lacked last season.

I think this is the definitive squad for the start of the season, based on the assumption that all other pre-season triallists will now have been discarded:

Retained:
Diogo Barbosa
Aaron Barnes
Charlie Grainger
David Kuagica
Danny Mills
Maliq Morris

Jamie Splatt (on loan to Westfield)
Quade Taylor
Lewis White

Signed:
Reise Allassani (Coventry City)
Sandro Embalo (CD Fatima - Portugal)
Jesse Debrah (Millwall)
Korrey Henry (Welling United)
Jordan Higgs (Bromley)
Tyrique Hyde (Colchester United)
Sanchez Ming (Dartford)
Deon Moore (Hemel Hempstead)
Taiwo Daniel Ojo (Yeovil Town)
James Pardington (Wolverhampton Wanderers - loan)
Ruben Sammut (Sunderland)
Michael Timlin (Ebbsfleet United)

Departures:
Lionel Ainsworth (Welling United)
Thomas Chambers
Ben Chapman (Ebbsfleet United)
Nyren Clunis (Carshalton Athletic)
Jack Connors (Dagenham)
Preston Edwards (Brentwood Town)
Connor Hunte
David Ijaha (Dartford)
Dylan Kearney (Hayes & Yeading)
Marvin McCoy (Romford)
Jeffrey Monakana (Fjölnir - Iceland)
Kieran Monlouis (Horsham)
Shamir Mullings (Diosgyori VTK - Hungary)
Richard Orlu
Christian Smith (Hampton)
Nathan Smith (Welling United)
Aryan Tajbakhsh (Cray Wanderers)
Dominic Vose (Kingstonian)

Interview with Ruben Sammut in the Athletic. Mostly about his time at Chelsea.

This quote stood out to me: "I got caught under the blanket of playing under-23s football for too long and should have gone into men’s football a year earlier."

I would 100% agree with that. He is 23 and has played a dozen mens games.

Though that is easy to say from afar and when someone like Sunderland offers you a nice contract and security to sit in their U23s for a year it's can imagine it's not an easy choice.

Last edited:
Interview with Ruben Sammut in the Athletic. Mostly about his time at Chelsea.

This quote stood out to me: "I got caught under the blanket of playing under-23s football for too long and should have gone into men’s football a year earlier."

I can only read the first paragraph of that article as it's behind a paywall, but I think this is a common problem with gifted young players who don't quite make the grade at the club where they've played through all the age group teams. Ben Chapman was a classic example for me - had all the technical attributes, didn't want for lack of effort, but simply didn't have the experience to boss a men's game from his natural position in the centre of the field.

Ruben is only 6 months younger than Jordan Higgs, with whom he seems to be competing for a place now, who's been a regular starter for Bromley at National Division level for five years with around 150 first team appearances.

It's a bit silly how big clubs seem to carry players up to the age of 21 or 22 without ever giving them a first team chance. They may go out on loan to a lower division club, but a lot of the time they're only getting limited game time off the bench for a month or two in an unfamiliar environment and never make a real impact before returning to the parent club.

We now seem to have quite a high percentage of these players. Quade Taylor became one when he left us for Palace as a 17 year old ten seasons ago, although he's now been back at the Hamlet playing regular first team football for four seasons. So was Aaron Barnes, who will hopefully have benefitted from a season of regular starts for us. Jesse Debrah seemed to find his feet quicker than many, so hopefully that's one rally good young player we now have on our hands. Tyrique Hyde, Lewis White and even Reise Allassani (who still has only around 50 men's games behind him in between long injury lay offs) are others.

I used to work with the father of a professional footballer. He's now in the Championship but it nearly went horribly wrong for him

He spent six years at Fulham, never making a first team appearance. He made about 20 out on loan. He was quite happy there, he regularly made the bench thus qualifying for a 10k win bonus. This was far more than anyone else offered as basic.

There was bling culture in the changing room and he was sucked in. He bought a five bedroom house and top end Land Rover. Then Fulham released him. He couldn't get a club, the house and car went.

After a period of sofa surfing whilst undergoing trials, he got a contract in League One. Not much money but he built a reputation and has subsequently played in the Premier League.

You have to ask what these lads agents are doing. Are they giving good advice or are they looking for money? To be clear I have no idea what his agent advised, he may have ignored him, but it does seem rather common for players to stay further up the ladder without playing for too long.

I can only read the first paragraph of that article as it's behind a paywall, but I think this is a common problem with gifted young players who don't quite make the grade at the club where they've played through all the age group teams. Ben Chapman was a classic example for me - had all the technical attributes, didn't want for lack of effort, but simply didn't have the experience to boss a men's game from his natural position in the centre of the field.

He also had to carry Vose...

According to Dartford’s site we’ve signed Ronnie Vint on loan for a month:

Dulwich Hamlet claimed their first National League South win since March 14 as they defeated Bath City 4-1 on Tuesday night.

The South Londoners’ last success had come in their final fixture before the campaign was voided due to the Covid-19 pandemic.

Gavin Rose’s side are on a three-match unbeaten streak after also getting draws at Hemel Hempstead and Dorking Wanderers, who went top of the table in midweek.

Donovan Wilson put Bath into an early lead at Twerton Park but Michael Timlin’s free-kick levelled before the break.

Giovanni McGregor made it 2-1 on 47 minutes before Deon Moore extended their advantage before the hour mark.

Danny Mills made sure of the outcome as he netted with 11 minutes remaining – converting a cross from debutant Andre Blackman, who formerly played for Bristol City, AFC Wimbledon, Celtic and Crawley Town.

The result moves Dulwich up to 16th in the table.

“We started the season not too well but also played some of the better teams in the league,” said Dulwich boss Rose. “It’s just how it’s fallen.

“We’ve got quite a young team and they just need a little bit of confidence and reassurance. We’ve started to build that within the boys and performances have really improved.

“Bath have been a very, very good team over the last few years but our lads went there and passed the ball really well and were brave. They carried out our game plan.

“There is a bit of understanding growing in terms of knowing what needs to be done and I’m hoping that means we’ll only get better as the days and weeks go by.

“If the performances stay at the level we produced at Bath then I’m pretty sure we’ll be okay.”

Non-league football at all levels will resume after December 2 and that is likely to see Dulwich move on a number of players – which will clear some space for additions.

“We had one or two that would probably have gone on loan but because of the league below shutting down it meant we were unable to let them go,” said Rose. “But now there has been the news that they will be restarting and we’ve got three or four players in our squad who are ready to go and play.

“We’re probably looking at one or two boys coming in but we can’t do that until a few move on to pastures new.”

Dulwich are at home to Maidstone tomorrow.

Some general thoughts from Rose.

3 or 4 might leave on loan once the lower levels start up again, and a couple of faces may come in.

There was a round up of recent arrivals in Tuesday's programme, not all of which have been mentioned in this particular thread: Blackman (Ebbsfleet), Balarabe (Hemel Hempstead), Aghatise (Kettering), none of whom was actually in the matchday squad. (Will we see the last two again!) Plus the loan signings of Vint and Turnbull for a month each, while Clayden has signed for a second month.

Back
Top Bottom