Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

dropped my phone in the toilet and now it's stopped working :(

Yeah really let it dry out - like a couple of days- before trying to turn it back on.

I had one that went in the bath and I nearly killed it totally by trying it out too early.

Airing cupboards a good place for them. It might still be salvageable froggy but you'll probably have to leave it alone for a good couple of days.

This has reminded me of when I dropped mine in melted goat fat.

Anyway, to your problem, I'm told a bag of rice for a day or two, don't turn it on or off. And keep your fingers crossed.

I have saved a phone by switching it off and leaving it in a tub of rice. I think I left it for 24 or 48 hours. Don’t be tempted to switch it on.
Middle Q dropped her phone into the sink and put it in a bowl of rice for a day which someone told her would work, I completely poo-poohed the idea but it did in fact actually work.
You will probably have to throw the rice away but its a lot cheaper than a new phone.

I think if you've been using it before it had totally dried out then it's likely to be bad new soz froggie

That's the usual story, unfortunately, isn't it?

However I did this with the one I dropped in the bath. Impatiently turned it back on, it worked for a bit, then all these green lines came up on the screen and it died.

Gave it up for dead, bought a new one, stuck it in a drawer, forgot about it. Idly tried it about a year later and it worked fine. Use it as a backup now.

Anyone got any idea what to do? It was working intermittently earlier and I put it on the radiator in the hope it would dry out but it just seems to have killed it altogether :(
Don't bother with rice but try those sachets they put in with electrical goods and lateral flow tests

Rice itself doesn't do anything special - a phone will dry out just as well if left on a shelf or whatever - though this writer argues that might be effective because people are less likely to turn on their phone before it's completely dry if it's out of sight under some rice.

Of the seven household desiccants they tested, uncooked rice was the least absorbent, behind cat litter, couscous, oatmeal, and instant rice. Unless you’re willing to spend serious money, leaving your phone on a shelf to air dry, they suggested, may be your best option.

...The grain may not guard the device from the destructive powers of water, but the trick does temporarily remove a much more dangerous element: us, and our impatient, tech-driven neuroses.

Back
Top Bottom