Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Dog walking etiquette

Mumbles274

running from law and the press and the parents
Hi. We took Meatball for a walk today down to the sandy beach. As usual let him off the lead and let him run and there is obviously lots of other dogs. We've found this issue with some dogs.. Big, fast, playful dogs that bound up to him and don't seem to have any sense of him being little. They go straight in for really boisterous play. It freaks him out a bit and he can growl or yelp at them to stay away. The thing is, the owners are also the ones that have no recall skills with the dogs. He's had lots of bigger dogs, and smaller dogs approaching him and hes cool if it's calm and bum sniffing type stuff and has fun and played with all sorts, its the uncontrolled ones that bother him. He's been knocked off his feet by a staff charging at him that was totally uncontrolled (the owner also tried to start a fight with me on a busy sunday afternoon beach), today a greyhound type dog charged at him, so lamb1979 picked him up and the GH jumped up at them. We've no problem with any breed but... The owners took a while to attempt recall and that didn't even work when they did. We are a little unsure of what to do. Picking him up seems that it could reinforce the fear but if left to stand up for himself he will potentially snap and nip at these bigger dogs. The owners always say this 'oh he's friendly' line but they don't have any control or don't even try to control. We recognise he's just a little dog but why should he have to avoid places like the beach...and we think its good to walk around other dogs of all sizes? What do you think?

The vast majority of people with dogs are great, a tiny minority are completely idiotic and shouldn't be allowed to be in charge of any animal.

When I was younger I used to exercise horses (I grew up in Surrey where being poor is not necessarily an impediment to being horse-mad - I used to exercise horses for a local farmer) on woodland bridlepaths, once I had someone refuse to call their alsatian away from sniffing the belly of my increasingly nervous mount when I requested that they call their dog back to them, "it's ok, he won't hurt your horse" they said. Well my horse sadly didn't understand that exchange and was only concerned that a predator was right up to them sniffing around and eventually after a lot of nervous jigging about and snorting lost the plot, threw me off (injuring me a bit) and kicked the dog (I don't think the dog was seriously injured, the horse wasn't shod). I was winded and unable to move when I fell, fortunately I was with another rider who went and caught/calmed the horse I was riding. Idiot dog walker was upset and furious with me...

Last edited:
But it sounds as if they might deserve it! Didn't you say he growls first? That should be adequate warning.
He does but they aren't really hearing that before they are in his space, towering over him. Think how fast a greyhound can cover the ground... Its rapid

I wouldn't worry, Meatball is just telling the other dog he doesn't want to play.

Cassie does similar, if a dog comes bounding up, she has a bark and growl at them. It has in the past looks aggressive but only with those dog which persist in harassing her. On all those occasions the owners of the dog have been fine and even said to her 'you tell him' or 'don't worry, she's only putting him in his place'.

He does but they aren't really hearing that before they are in his space, towering over him. Think how fast a greyhound can cover the ground... Its rapid
Aha, still seems unfair that meatball might lose out on off the lead time because of it.

Are they always playful these other dogs? Because if they are I wouldn't worry so much ..

After I got mine (collie x alsation) I discovered she was really aggressive with other dogs (fine with horses and cars, I just call her into the side of the road and she stands watches them go by - incidentally until I was told I made the mistake with horses of tucking right into the side of the road which sometimes meant we were invisible to the horse until it came up close which made them nervous).

She's loads better now but I still put her on the lead until I see the reaction to another dog - tail wags sideways she's happy to meet them, tail whirls round means she's stressed so stays on the lead.

Beaches are difficult though, as you say dogs race up. She's always been a different dog on the beach I think because she's got loads of room to get away if she wants to - it's always been on paths that she was most aggressive.

And yes I did see somewhere that it's not good to lift them up, can't remember why though. I've always been really apologetic if she goes for another dog. Like you say some owners (I think the really experienced ones) say they'll sort it out between them but it only takes one aggressive experience to change a dog's confidence permanently. You often get people saying there's no reason dogs should get on with each other because not all people do. Well yes but I don't normally bite people I don't get on with.

Cosmo would lose out if she took on a jack russell type - she'd be towering over it and it would just go for the throat :eek:

Bit of a ramble but not a lot of help sorry :(

IMO, growling/the threat of a nip at the other dog is fine - reward when it works but be ready to step in if you think it might escalate.

Not sure if you were after solutions (and I'm not an expert) but what I would do is bring your dog in to heel, then if the other dog continues with the game, use your body language to get and remain between your dog and the other. Deny the other dog access to your dog. Throw in some eye contact, a frown, maybe the hine of a teethe bare. Obvs not aggressively but definitely silently. Never pick up.

So, in dog language - 'our pack doesn't want to play with you'. 'Our pack doesn't want you here anymore'. By which time, hopefully, the other owners will have arrived - no doubt yelling the same sound over and over.
And/or the rogue dog might pick up on your actions and remember their manners, then it's game on :)

Aha, still seems unfair that meatball might lose out on off the lead time because of it.

Are they always playful these other dogs? Because if they are I wouldn't worry so much ..
Yeah, they are trying to play, but the mismatch of size is the thing, Meatball can't compare to speed or boisterousness

I've seen instances of people riding their bikes with their dogs running besides them on a leash. find that stupidly cruel to force a dog to run while you cycle.

I've seen instances of people riding their bikes with their dogs running besides them on a leash. find that stupidly cruel to force a dog to run while you cycle.

Depends on the Dog: if it's a running breed in good health like a Pointer or Spinone it's not just fine, it's good, but if it's some fat, wheezing lump with 3 inch legs then it's not good, or fine....

I wouldn't worry, Meatball is just telling the other dog he doesn't want to play.

Cassie does similar, if a dog comes bounding up, she has a bark and growl at them. It has in the past looks aggressive but only with those dog which persist in harassing her. On all those occasions the owners of the dog have been fine and even said to her 'you tell him' or 'don't worry, she's only putting him in his place'.
Clarissa squeals like a struck pig when the approaching dog is about a yard off...that puts to dog off and generally elicits profuse apologies from the owner. it’s odd, because she’s never been physically hurt by another dog, it just seems to be here coping mechanism. She doesn’t seem stressed.

IMO, growling/the threat of a nip at the other dog is fine - reward when it works but be ready to step in if you think it might escalate.

Not sure if you were after solutions (and I'm not an expert) but what I would do is bring your dog in to heel, then if the other dog continues with the game, use your body language to get and remain between your dog and the other. Deny the other dog access to your dog. Throw in some eye contact, a frown, maybe the hine of a teethe bare. Obvs not aggressively but definitely silently. Never pick up.

So, in dog language - 'our pack doesn't want to play with you'. 'Our pack doesn't want you here anymore'. By which time, hopefully, the other owners will have arrived - no doubt yelling the same sound over and over.
And/or the rogue dog might pick up on your actions and remember their manners, then it's game on :)
That's along the lines of what we are starting to conclude about how to deal with it

Yep that sounds all good. Worth saying "WAIT THERE" and hold out palm as command to the other dog? If they do stop, Meatball gets the chance to have a sniff and a greet if he wants.

Also tells other dog owner clearly.

My dog is of the boisterous playing type. There are a number of smaller dogs that tell her to piss off pretty regularly, a couple of them will play with her. She's never aggressive with them but she's bigger than them and bouncy, so some of them get a bit scared.

I'm never worried that one of them will bite her though and if one did nip her then she would run a mile. Most of the time they are working out pecking orders and who will play and who won't.

It’s a difficult one. Your key role is always to look after you dog what ever size. dogs don’t necessarily know how big or rough they are. The good thing is that Meatball will soon enough tell them to bugger off. That’s the joy of dogs they are communicating on levels and speeds we don’t even see.

meatball is probably much much tougher than you think and if he gets bumped and rolled by another dog it’s probably not going to hurt him and as above he will communicate he’s not having it. snapping, growling showing teeth isn’t the end of the world it’s another element of communication and he is unlikely to move to biting anyone if you’ve never seen that behaviour Before. On the plus side he Is unlikely to do any damage to a big dog if he did

a boisterous dog Isn’t neccessarily a threat or owned by an irresponsible owner. The beach is a space where dogs are let off to zoom in safety.

problems come with arseholes who let dogs off which are aggressive/dominant and meatball is tiny, you could both end up being bitten

when I foster, primary concern is protecting the safety and reputation of the dogs I’m looking after. I don’t know enough about them to trust their or other dogs responses unless I’ve had them for ages (that’s not a guarantee either) So I always err on the side of caution and don’t expose them to any risks. If that means avoiding a certain type of walk area that’s what I do

if your dog doesn’t like big dogs zooming around and being boisterous don’t take him to places where bigs dogs zoom around being boisterous. It’s not necessarily fair on a human level but you wouldn’t take a child to somewhere that scared it. You can’t Police the beach or stop other dogs having fun

best bet is introduce fun into the beach when its quiet and introduce him to Zoomy dogs of a smaller variety and work up to bigger dogs Find his level But ultimately he doesn’t have the legs for his own zooming :D you should have got a springer spaniel.

try to be relaxed when out an about. If your first emotional response when going to the beach is what if shit happens meatball isn’t going to be relaxed or enjoy himself nether are you

My normal approach is to have eyes like telescopes and rather than look at dogs in the distance look at their owners, what are they doing. you can tell owner body language a mile off, are they tense are they shouting, do they have the lead in their hand trying to catch their dog Or are they smiling and relaxed but still focussed/aware of their dog. if I’m going somewhere I can’t see a great distance I’ll recall my hound and put them on the lead temporarily till my horizon opens up a bit more.

its a shame people can’t always have a relaxed anything goes, go anywhere vibe when walking dogs but that’s the responsibility that comes with having hounds in your life

have a sausage dog meet-up :D

It’s a difficult one. Your key role is always to look after you dog what ever size. dogs don’t necessarily know how big or rough they are. The good thing is that Meatball will soon enough tell them to bugger off. That’s the joy of dogs they are communicating on levels and speeds we don’t even see.

meatball is probably much much tougher than you think and if he gets bumped and rolled by another dog it’s probably not going to hurt him and as above he will communicate he’s not having it. snapping, growling showing teeth isn’t the end of the world it’s another element of communication and he is unlikely to move to biting anyone if you’ve never seen that behaviour Before. On the plus side he Is unlikely to do any damage to a big dog if he did

a boisterous dog Isn’t neccessarily a threat or owned by an irresponsible owner. The beach is a space where dogs are let off to zoom in safety.

problems come with arseholes who let dogs off which are aggressive/dominant and meatball is tiny, you could both end up being bitten

when I foster, primary concern is protecting the safety and reputation of the dogs I’m looking after. I don’t know enough about them to trust their or other dogs responses unless I’ve had them for ages (that’s not a guarantee either) So I always err on the side of caution and don’t expose them to any risks. If that means avoiding a certain type of walk area that’s what I do

if your dog doesn’t like big dogs zooming around and being boisterous don’t take him to places where bigs dogs zoom around being boisterous. It’s not necessarily fair on a human level but you wouldn’t take a child to somewhere that scared it. You can’t Police the beach or stop other dogs having fun

best bet is introduce fun into the beach when its quiet and introduce him to Zoomy dogs of a smaller variety and work up to bigger dogs Find his level But ultimately he doesn’t have the legs for his own zooming :D you should have got a springer spaniel.

try to be relaxed when out an about. If your first emotional response when going to the beach is what if shit happens meatball isn’t going to be relaxed or enjoy himself nether are you

My normal approach is to have eyes like telescopes and rather than look at dogs in the distance look at their owners, what are they doing. you can tell owner body language a mile off, are they tense are they shouting, do they have the lead in their hand trying to catch their dog Or are they smiling and relaxed but still focussed/aware of their dog. if I’m going somewhere I can’t see a great distance I’ll recall my hound and put them on the lead temporarily till my horizon opens up a bit more.

its a shame people can’t always have a relaxed anything goes, go anywhere vibe when walking dogs but that’s the responsibility that comes with having hounds in your life

have a sausage dog meet-up :D

Thanks. Some food for thought. One thing it makes me think is that by and large the big zoomy dogs run around with other zoomy dogs. Each time there has been any clash has been close to where most people get onto the beach s it may be they are just more excited and havent been able to identify suitable zoomy chums. Staying alert in the area or not going near there could be an option.

He loves the beach though and is happy to play and zoom himself and is fine with bigger dogs to a point. I'm pretty sure that talking about it helps foster confidence in us as owners, which i think was knocked a bit by the dick head that squared up for a fight.

Oh... And we have done a few sausage walks.. He loves them!

IMG_20200119_111309_057.jpg

Attachments

• IMG_20200119_111309_057.jpg
    IMG_20200119_111309_057.jpg
    476.9 KB · Views: 0
The body language of both the dog and owner is a really good point. You can always tell. If the dog is on a lead in a place where most others aren't then that's a warning sign to me and I'll try to call my dog back. If the owner isn't bothered then (most of the time) it's OK.

There is a lady near us who screams "no, no, no, no" whenever any dog comes near her dog. She's pretty easy to read.😁

Dog walking politics is a whole world to itself though. So much potential nonsense, you don't realise till you start doing it.

I put my dog on a lead if other dogs are around because he can be a bit of an arsehole with bigger dogs and he's a bit ill-mannered and very fast - running hell for leather at another dog is quite often going to put the other dog on alert because dogs don't have brilliant eyesight and they can't tell if the other dog is friendly until it's got quite close.

Never pick your dog up though - for your own safety as much as anything. A dog - if it wants to play with meatball or is being aggressive - is going to jump up at you.

If he's snapping at other dogs who are pissing him off, it sounds like he's pretty good at communicating how he feels :)

Back
Top Bottom