Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Does fish sauce go off?

Maggot

The Cake of Liberty
I have some fish sauce, Best before March 2015. I can't tell from the smell, as fish sauce smells funny anyway.

I would go by the smell test. No reason to ruin good fish with shitty sauce.

This isn't sauce for fish, it's the stuff you put in Thai curries.
If it smells dodgy then bin it or eat it. I not keen on fish sauce so I would bin it but I am sure it is okay to eat. Anything in a jar should be fine.

I decided against using it, although I think it probably would have been ok. There wasn't much left in the bottle.

Gonna buy another one and make Thai curries more often.

Nooo it’s sauce.

(Joke - as above, you should be able to tell. Not that it might not be deadly before exhibiting symptoms.)

I once had some oyster sauce go off - it was horrific, there was absolutely no doubt as to whether it should be used or not - mould on the top of it and an odour that would knock out an elephant from half a mile away
Sounds perfect for revenge against a cunty employer, secreted in inaccesible places. :thumbs:

What's the deal with having ingredients for so long that they go years out of date? If you buy it why don't you use it?

What's the deal with having ingredients for so long that they go years out of date? If you buy it why don't you use it?
Have you never had anything sitting at the back of your cupboard and forgotten?

I only use fish sauce for making Thai curries, and as you only use a tiny amount in each dish, it takes ages to get through.

Have you never had anything sitting at the back of your cupboard and forgotten?

I only use fish sauce for making Thai curries, and as you only use a tiny amount in each dish, it takes ages to get through.
I don't normally have stuff left in cupboards. I usually use two bottles of fish sauce a year. I use it in some of my Indonesian recipes and for seasoning in other dishes. I don't use much salt per se so use soy or fish for this.

Back
Top Bottom