Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Does anyone Zwift?

Fuzzy

Hearts Cov
following on from the TdF thread there appear to be lots of cyclists on here so was wondering whether anyone zwifts (or other platform). im a keen zwifter and use it about 4 or 5 times a week. anyone curious to try it or been put off by using traditional turbo trainers in the past?

Yeah, generally winter only though. Think there are major advantages to training on the bike in the real world. At least if your objective is cycling rather than general fitness.

I know some people don't like the cartoony graphics and gamification, but that's absolutely perfect for me (well, maybe not always the graphics, but totally understand the reasoning). Other problem I've had is that bluetooth can be absolutely terrible (with my macbook anyway). Rely on ANT+, but sometimes get lag with that.

I switched from open world riding to basically 100% erg mode workouts last winter... Quite liked that for more structured training. But crap for stuff like sprinting, and I imagine would get boring for some.

Cost is probably going to be a factor for many people. £12.99/month for subscription, plus upfront cost of trainer (and bike to put on it). You can wrangle a cheapish setup out of basic trainer and cadence/speed sensors mind you, and compatible wheel-on trainers are er... somewhat affordable. Noisy mind. Checking ebay now would seem to be a good time to pick up a used direct drive trainer though, Kickrs going for £300-400 (though check version numbers), probably a chance at getting lower. Tacx fluxes cheaper, been ages since I had a look at reviews though (managed to get a Kickr core right at the start of the pandemic, and has served very well). Anyone with uncarpeted flooring in a flat should probably also look at getting a rubber mat (I use a horse mat, big heavy thing, but good for vibration insulation, about £45 I think). Direct drive trainers are much quieter than wheel on, but still got complaints from downstairs (probably from bigger efforts) pre-horse mat.

Yeah, generally winter only though. Think there are major advantages to training on the bike in the real world. At least if your objective is cycling rather than general fitness.

I know some people don't like the cartoony graphics and gamification, but that's absolutely perfect for me (well, maybe not always the graphics, but totally understand the reasoning). Other problem I've had is that bluetooth can be absolutely terrible (with my macbook anyway). Rely on ANT+, but sometimes get lag with that.

I switched from open world riding to basically 100% erg mode workouts last winter... Quite liked that for more structured training. But crap for stuff like sprinting, and I imagine would get boring for some.

Cost is probably going to be a factor for many people. £12.99/month for subscription, plus upfront cost of trainer (and bike to put on it). You can wrangle a cheapish setup out of basic trainer and cadence/speed sensors mind you, and compatible wheel-on trainers are er... somewhat affordable. Noisy mind. Checking ebay now would seem to be a good time to pick up a used direct drive trainer though, Kickrs going for £300-400 (though check version numbers), probably a chance at getting lower. Tacx fluxes cheaper, been ages since I had a look at reviews though (managed to get a Kickr core right at the start of the pandemic, and has served very well). Anyone with uncarpeted flooring in a flat should probably also look at getting a rubber mat (I use a horse mat, big heavy thing, but good for vibration insulation, about £45 I think). Direct drive trainers are much quieter than wheel on, but still got complaints from downstairs (probably from bigger efforts) pre-horse mat.
cost of the trainer put me off for a few years but eventually dived in with a direct drive trainer. I don't mind the graphics. more interesting than looking at a blank wall and the data screen gives you something to chew over. I started doing the WTRL racing league at the beginning if thr year. quite enjoy that and gives matters an added tinge with a bit of competition.

Back
Top Bottom