Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Does anyone go SCUBA diving?

Unfortunately I can't afford the time, or the cost of trotting off to the carribean..... most diving trips there look like they're a couple of grand.

You'll need to do a dry suit speciality before using one.

I've got a few padi certs but have very few dives under my belt.

I've dived in Eilat, Thailand and......Peterborough

I'd love to get in the English sea and do some wreck diving.

I've just complete my pool training and really keen to get my open water certification done......

Does anyone else here ever go?
As the son of a long time BSAC instructor I feel obliged to suggest you join a local club... a way to learn without paying for commercial instruction but also a social thing, and if you want to dive in the UK then you can do more interesting stuff as part of a club which has access to boats and so on. With the right bunch of people, these local clubs can do some quite adventurous expeditions and get to places that you never could by yourself, or without it becoming horribly expensive.

Me, I spent enough time as a kid sitting on boats watching people fiddle with equipment with fingers blue from the cold to not take up diving. But they all seemed to love it and when you see the photos it's amazing what there is down there.

PADI would be upset that you're not wearing a snorkel.

Nah, opposite really. BSAC and in the UK you use a snorkel as getting lost at sea in rough conditions is a possibility.

In Asia with PADI the sea is calm so nobody wears ones. I took mine off to fit in with the locals ;)

Done a few but it is amazing and quite concerning, in retrospect, how loose some of them were.

I did some dives in some cenotes in Mexico which were again, in retrospect, pretty dodge - wander out in to a jungle, get your kit on and then jump in to a massive sink hole. The thermocline stuff was amazing but quite scary too. Much more full on than open water diving.

Nah, opposite really. BSAC and in the UK you use a snorkel as getting lost at sea in rough conditions is a possibility.

In Asia with PADI the sea is calm so nobody wears ones. I took mine off to fit in with the locals ;)
Not in my dive school. PADI standards state that all students must have a snorkel. It is allowed to be folded in your BCD pocket though

I've done some but a few years ago,in NZ and the Barrier reef,Shippy and his Da have done a lot.PADI is known as "put another dollar in" by the way.
(got open water,advanced and several other certificates that cost a fortune)

I got up to rescue diver under PADI but I never did that much diving. My dad does a lot more and goes on dive holidays.

I don't mind diving but neither am I that into it.

My favourite dive spot was in Kerry. I've been to more exotic places but that place seemed to have the most life.

Im doing my course on saturday and sunday, and so hopefully should be PADI open water certified...... but what do I do from there? I don't have the money to fly off on diving holidays, but I really like being in the water...... and want to keep up this sport.

I've had a short experience (in a pool, obv) would love to get more involved - but I can't blow a snorkel clear of water ! is there a knack to it ? I don't have a massive expired peak flow but I can hold my breath and swim a length underwater.

Im doing my course on saturday and sunday, and so hopefully should be PADI open water certified...... but what do I do from there? I don't have the money to fly off on diving holidays, but I really like being in the water...... and want to keep up this sport.
UK diving is ace, I'd do it if I had a dry suit and would work towards next padi level. Lots of wrecks and reefs, new MCZs as well as existing ones. A lot of sites are deeper than open water allows so level up if you can, some dive clubs do excursions so you can go with other divers too. 'Put another dollar in' as they say!!!

UK diving is ace, I'd do it if I had a dry suit and would work towards next padi level. Lots of wrecks and reefs, new MCZs as well as existing ones. A lot of sites are deeper than open water allows so level up if you can, some dive clubs do excursions so you can go with other divers too. 'Put another dollar in' as they say!!!

Ah there are dive clubs, I wasn't sure how that all worked.

I have to do a dry suit orientation anyway, and I think that counts toward 3 of the add ons you do when you work toward the next cert...... I'd like to do wreck diver too, but I'm not sure about the other

All done, am now an open water diver, and a dry suit diver according to PADI.

Quite liked the centre, there's lots of things sunk there to check out.

Find your local bsac club.

Dive with them for fun, unlike padi they are not a commercial organisation. Go to their club nights, get to know the people and have fun diving with friends.

Dive with them for fun, unlike padi they are not a commercial organisation. Go to their club nights, get to know the people and have fun diving with friends.

Do this if possible ^^

If you want sun/holiday, do PADI or SSI

Where were your OW Dives?

Next cert is Advanced Open Water (ignoring adventure diver, cos it's shit). Deep and Nav are mandatory.. then pick what you want to do for the other 3 dives. (5 dives total)

Last edited:

Well the club I've just done it with are PADI, they explained the difference and said you progress through PADI quals quickly and BSAC takes much longer, but said at the end of the day both are good qualification systems.

They run club nights and trips, so I think I'll probably join them as they are literally just down the road.

I much preferred using a dry suit rather than BCD for buoyancy I've discovered.

Next cert is Advanced Open Water (ignoring adventure diver, cos it's shit). Deep and Nav are mandatory.. then pick what you want to do for the other 3 dives. (5 dives total)
Wraysbury dive centre.

The one thing they did say is that visibility isn't great there. This weekend was some of the best they've had (8-10m) mainly due to lack of people diving and silt settling quicker because the water was cold - 6 C this weekend.

Wraysbury dive centre.

The one thing they did say is that visibility isn't great there. This weekend was some of the best they've had (8-10m) mainly due to lack of people diving and silt settling quicker because the water was cold - 6 C this weekend.

Well the club I've just done it with are PADI, they explained the difference and said you progress through PADI quals quickly and BSAC takes much longer, but said at the end of the day both are good qualification systems.

They run club nights and trips, so I think I'll probably join them as they are literally just down the road.

I much preferred using a dry suit rather than BCD for buoyancy I've discovered.

Padi are not a club, they may say they are. Bsac are people with real jobs and no skin in the game when it comes to diving because they enjoy it. Padi are like the mcdonalds of the diving world. Great, but it does stand for Put Another Dollar In. Join bsac is my recommendation.

Padi are not a club, they may say they are. Bsac are people with real jobs and no skin in the game when it comes to diving because they enjoy it. Padi are like the mcdonalds of the diving world. Great, but it does stand for Put Another Dollar In. Join bsac is my recommendation.

I don't mean the club is PADI, the club I did it with teach PADI iyswim.

There's a BSAC club near me too, I'll see how it goes. I really like the group I just did it with.

So despite repeatedly trying to call the PADI club, I've not been able to get hold of them.

So I've been in contact with the BSAC club near me, they say I have to do some kind of conversion course, and it costs money to join (where as PADI ones are free) - but it seems the PADI ones only actually ever go diving in order to run courses, and doing courses isn't the reason I learnt to dive, I learnt to dive as I like the idea of exploring underwater.

So I may just bite the bullet and join the BSAC club, they run regular tips to the coast, and places like lobster quay, have their own rib...... all I've got to check is whether they hire equipment. If not I'll have to go to a PADI club as I can't afford to buy everything.

Considering its a sport, they don't half make it a pain in the arse to get involved.

PADI isn't a 'club' it's a training organisation. Once you're a certified diver you can go dive... all the training organisations work to RSTC Standards. You don't need to be a member of a club. Just phone a dive shop, tell them you're certified and want to go diving. Go dive with seals in the Farne Islands off Northumberland!! 1st on my list if/when I come back to UK.

BSAC are a club and will organise social events as well as training events. They're training is very very good but in my opinion a bit eliteish and geeky :)

Back
Top Bottom