Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Do you still keep your tape cassettes?

does anyone know of any low cost solutions to getting shed loads of cassette tapes transferred to something more permanent?

we have so much stuff that should be preserved and it's sitting gathering dust and probably falling apart, which would be such a shame.

I have loads of tapes, never listened to them untill i went to Yemen. The music industry over there still relies largely on cassttes, cd's are reare and vinyl are non-existing. I fell in love with Yemeni music and brought back a few hundred tapes. Roughly 30p a pop. That's mainly what I listen to these days, so cassttes are my main medium. I'm in the process of digitalising them all, writing reviews etc, and putting them up on a blog for the world to discover Yemeni music. Watch this space.

does anyone know of any low cost solutions to getting shed loads of cassette tapes transferred to something more permanent?

we have so much stuff that should be preserved and it's sitting gathering dust and probably falling apart, which would be such a shame.

Copy them onto a cheap digi recorder, then put them on your computer. That's what I do (see above).

I`ve kept all my homemixes , several labelled " Various Rock " or " Various Dance " . I still get a weird Deja Vu type feeling when a song I hear on the radio is not followed by the correct follow on track :D

Summer in The City by Lovin Spoonful should always be followed by White Wedding by Billy Idol.

I still have boxes and boxes of tapes. I have a tape player in the shed, and listen to them when I'm in the garden.

Don't think I'll ever be bothered to digitise them all, but I've started mp3ing some of the choicest morsels.

Still got hundreds of them - they were my main source of music between 1982 (when I got rid of my turntable) and 2009 (when I bought a new car with no cassette deck).

Still got hundreds of them - they were my main source of music between 1982 (when I got rid of my turntable) and 2009 (when I bought a new car with no cassette deck).

Yeah, me too. Cassettes are just so portable - what other source of music can you carry in your pocket?

Ridiculously cheap too if you frequent charity shops, mostly 50p or less.

minidiscs are great. i still fire up the minidisc walkman occasionally - you can get 5 hours on one disc, so i've some epic dj sets that i'm never likely to put on mp3 on them...

I have a couple of shoe boxes full of them. Loads of them didn't even work years ago but I wouldn't throw them away. It's the kind of guy I am !

Found an old tape last week of a recording I had made of Orbital on Radio 1 back in 1995 - donated to the Loopz (Orbital) website and they've since made it available ! :cool:

Nice one steph - I also recorded it, but lost the tape years ago. Better than the released version imo...

iirc there was a section of that show where people were emailing in samples, and sure is pure were using them to make a track live? It was a bit shit, but an interesting idea...

Nice one steph - I also recorded it, but lost the tape years ago. Better than the released version imo...

Yeah, it was disappointing that only the intro sample remained on the version that appeared on the Times Fly single - as the craftily edited Major speech really completes it IMO.

I still have an emotional attachment to me boxes of TDK C60 and C90. Just can't bear to chuck them out. Absolutely no reason to keep them.

I wish I had :( When I get home next month I'm going to have a good old rummage to see if I've got any stashed anywhere...

I've got loads of "homemade" ones where i only recorded songs i liked from the radio....proper 80's stuff.....yeah i'll keep em, i aint binning wham and/or adam ant or duran duran or prince etc etc etc...nope cant do it!!! :D

:D

Back
Top Bottom