Well, do you?

• Yes

• Yes, but not enough to live in one

• Yes, but I like leaving them more after I've seen the good stuff

• No, but I have to live in one because work opportunities

• No, just fucking no

Results are only viewable after voting.

fucthest8

Cool people die horrible, preventable deaths.
Public. Two max, because people. Vote bitches.

Oh and before you say, sure, not enough poll options but fuck you. FUCK YOU.

14490208615.jpg

oh, sorry, misread

:p

When I see a megatropolis with its silver towers and concrete blocks stretching to the horizon, my response wavers between complete awe at the ingenuity of man, and conversely a kind of primal fear at the magnitude of what we're capable of - and whether it's New York or London or Paris or Tokyo, I often (at least some of the time) feel a kind of sadness, a melancholy over what we've done and how it might have been. And how we'll never put it back.:(:(

Can't stand the noise levels, the bustling about, people pushing,
alone in a crowd feeling.
How the sky seems so far away.
Go out on the countryside or stand on a beach. Out in nature and you can see the sky completely. You feel part of the environment.
Cities make you feel small...like you're an ant crawling around with thousands of other ants never looking up.

Last edited:
Living in a city is my major dissatisfaction in life but I really don't see a way out atm. Even a small city would be nicer.

My all time favourite is Miami. A city with good beaches is a perfect combination. If the weather was better I would forgo the beach and live in London. When I win the big one I'll spend part of the year in one and the rest in the other.

I like big but knowable cities. Paris, within the peripherique, totally knowable over time. Manchester, bit too small, but you can get to know every detail. London, goes on forever without a clear demarcation, probably not for me.

Love big cities. Grew up in Birmingham and by 16 found even that too small, as I knew the place like the back of my hand. Fecked off to London and haven't looked back from the moment I arrived at Euston in 2003 to all the people and traffic. I'm still just as much in love with the pulsating energy. You can live here for years and not discover all of it. Brum's massive but every time I visit, it seems so quiet and unfrenzied compared to the Smoke. I could never live in suburbia or the country.

I love big cities - even with extremely dodgy ones like Tegucigalpa, Honduras, there was a definite thrill when arriving there after a few months in villages and towns.

But I don't love them as much as I used to - in the big cities I've spent most of my life in, Hong Kong, London, and Toronto, the same theme is developing all over the place - gentrification is out of control and everywhere with a bit of character is being slowly transformed into places full of luxury flats and shops catering to the people who live in them.

Yes, does depend on the city.

Used to love London and Paris but don't now. Still love Amsterdam, Berlin, Edinburgh, Munich and Marseille, but happiest in smaller cities such as the one I live in, Exeter, which seems to be getting bigger rather rapidly.

Like visiting arty enclave towns like Falmouth. Have mates who live in Totnes, which is fine to visit but would do my head in if I lived there.

Really hate sprawling suburbia. There are a load of crappy smalltowns in my part of the world that give me the creeps - Okehampton, Bodmin, Honiton - but I'd still rather live in them than the outer suburbs of a big city.

A city has to be more than just big to make it enjoyable. For me I like a mixture of parks and public spaces, good transport links, wide variety of leisure and working options, proximity to other interesting destinations, a nice climate, affordable housing, a sensible city hall/mayor, a good music scene, not being over dominated by tourists, an after hours culture, a sense of freedom, an undercurrent of vice, but with low serious crime, and a 24 hour availability of eating and drinking places. Being able to get by in English, no laws against drinking or being gay. Not being segregated along racial lines. Support for those who are homeless or in need of help.

London has a lot of this better than most places. New York is definitely more 24-hours sure, but lacks the proximity to Europe and has a less good public transport network. LA has way better climate most of the time, but lacks a lot of what NY and London have in vibrancy, public transport, historic architecture, an after hours scene etc. Plus it's full of cunts and not very multicultural. Amsterdam or Paris are arguably as multicultural, but smaller. Sydney is lovely with better weather, but doesn't enjoy the center of the world feel that London, or Europe generally has. They all have their pros and cons.

Regardless, all of them are way expensive to live in and can do you head in if you don't get out once in a while.

Last edited:
Love the hubub but love to get out to the peace and tranquillity of the country. Think I may have it right, 45 mins from Waterloo, similar kind of travel time that saps in Kingston suffer. Miss the last train home and I'm fucked though.

I like big but knowable cities. Paris, within the peripherique, totally knowable over time. Manchester, bit too small, but you can get to know every detail. London, goes on forever without a clear demarcation, probably not for me.
You get to know your bits in London. Nobody knows the whole of London. But your bit is totally knowable.

I have never lived in a big city, I am suspicious of them, there was a time when I used to drive into central London at the weekend when it was easy to get around to the various attractions. I did the same in Berlin, but I didn't live in either place.

Back
Top Bottom