Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Question Ditching Mac, want PC running Linux, about £600

Well, i haven't used linux for 4 or 5 years with any serious intent.
I know a few people on here share the opinion that Linux wasn't (still isn't?) ready for the mainstream in the same pointy/clicky it works way that Windows/MAC OS is/was.
Without exception there was always something that didn't work properly/as it should/or, in some cases, at all. Wifi. Sound. Printing. Always something. Machine/Driver/BIOS dependent I imagine.
This said, I was always installing onto machines that had been designed or built with Windows on mind. And this was between 2004 and 2015.
Dual booting was generally a pain in the ass.
Installing was sometimes problematic - usually lack of driver support. This pushed me towards using live distributions and running linux from a CD/DVD or USB stick.

The successes always felt more 'oh that was lucky' rather than 'I did it'.

I had similar experiences and am basically of the same opinion.
As a techy I for a while enjoyed messing around with dual booting but I never found a distro that I could honestly say 'just works'.
A lot of them work fairly well but even then you will find yourself presented with an instruction like 'open the terminal and enter the command sudo apt get thingamajig '.
It's not quite to the turn it on and just hit the nice shiny buttons.

I did get three units working at a workplace but people complained endlessly about two of them and I used the third.

admittedly I am about 5 years out of date on this.

Reactions: LDC
Shame because Chromebooks really do sound ideal for your needs (apart from the Fuck Google bit). Cheap, fast, affordable and no need for firewalls or virus checkers and never any time-sucking Windows/Mac system updates.

It's also the need to be constantly online for things to work, but maybe I should have another look as you're right, for what I use it for they sound great. Linux isn't sounding promising from what people on here are saying.

I had similar experiences and am basically of the same opinion.
As a techy I for a while enjoyed messing around with dual booting but I never found a distro that I could honestly say 'just works'.

This is actually what I have loved so far with popOS, everything just works, I'm pretty handy and will quite happily furtle about in the innards to make stuff work but I haven't needed to do anything at all.

It's also the need to be constantly online for things to work, but maybe I should have another look as you're right, for what I use it for they sound great. Linux isn't sounding promising from what people on here are saying.
I do loads of stuff offline. The real beauty of Chromebooks for me is that they're extremely fast to start up and there's no fucking about with firewalls, anti virus checkers and huge system updates that take an age to install. You can download movies and music, and work on documents and do most other things that you do offline with a regular computer.

I do loads of stuff offline. The real beauty of Chromebooks for me is that they're extremely fast to start up and there's no fucking about with firewalls, anti virus checkers and huge system updates that take an age to install. You can download movies and music, and work on documents and do most other things that you do offline with a regular computer.

I don't use Chrome or Gmail though, aren't you a bit stuck with them? And what abut if you're wanting to work on stuff offline and it's all in the cloud or something?!

I don't use Chrome or Gmail though, aren't you a bit stuck with them? And what abut if you're wanting to work on stuff offline and it's all in the cloud or something?!
Chromebooks have local storage where you can save work and there's plenty of apps that work offline - and there's no shortage of different browsers either, although I prefer Chrome by miles.
For me, I used to work on a Thinkpad - quite a good one, at that - but I have barely touched it since I bought a cheap Chromebook. My writing work requires Word, but I just switched to Google Docs and that fixed that - I prefer Docs too, to be honest. There are plenty of alternative office suites available too.

Reactions: LDC

It's a bit of a pain in some ways and good in others. It does work better if you use it way Google want you to. Stuff you've worked on recently is stored locally and choose to have offline versions available. However there is no way that I've found of being able to keep all your documents in this state. This may not actually be an issue to you though and tbh with being able tether it to my phone if needed, I've not really been caught out.

They are good for the reasons editor stated and fantastic value. I'm not convinced I'd like it as my only computer though.

It's a bit of a pain in some ways and good in others. It does work better if you use it way Google want you to. Stuff you've worked on recently is stored locally and choose to have offline versions available. However there is no way that I've found of being able to keep all your documents in this state. This may not actually be an issue to you though and tbh with being able tether it to my phone if needed, I've not really been caught out.

They are good for the reasons editor stated and fantastic value. I'm not convinced I'd like it as my only computer though.
There's some things that Windows is much better for - things like mass/batch photo editing - but I do wonder how I'd get on with a Chromebox and two monitors. I'd imagine that would narrow the gap a bit as all laptops have their own compromises.

I can't be arsed with Linux. I've tried several times and always got pissed off with it.

There's some things that Windows is much better for - things like mass/batch photo editing - but I do wonder how I'd get on with a Chromebox and two monitors. I'd imagine that would narrow the gap a bit as all laptops have their own compromises.

I can't be arsed with Linux. I've tried several times and always got pissed off with it.

Funnily enough I'm running the chromebook with an external screen and it's own with a separate mouse and keyboard as the main PC has died. It's certainly an improvement, but quiet there compared to Win 10 (for me).

Back
Top Bottom