Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Question Ditching Mac, want PC running Linux, about £600

LDC

Sorry if this is an annoying question to all you knowledgeable techie people....

I gave up on PCs a while ago as keep getting viruses and crashing and have been using a refurbished Macbook Pro for about the last 8 years, but it's finally giving up the ghost after a few refurbs (new battery and more memory and numerous power cables) so I need a new laptop.

What I want is something that's slim, metal body, light as possible, screen 13-14".

I use it mostly for web browsing, word processing, Google Earth, watching films/TV, and looking at photos.

I hate Windows 10 which seems to be standard in all the PCs I've looked at. So have been thinking about getting one and then putting Linux (Unbuntu/Mint or something?) on it. I assume I could put Linux on a PC and run Thunderbird, Firefox, Open Office, and some photo program?

I looked at an Lenovo Ideapad S340, but then looking about it says putting Linux on that is really hard/impossible? My hardware/software skills are next to zero too...

Any suggestions to make/model for up to £600 (although could go over a bit if needed). Is it pretty simple to install Linux etc for someone with low tech skills? Could I possibly be going to catastrophically fuck up my new laptop trying that?!

Last edited:
They look a bit pricey on that site but might be worth it for the support / no hassel.

Modern distrobutions of Linux, Ubuntu and Mint are easy to install. You can run them off a usbstick without installing to test first as well. The trouble comes if you have some imcompatible bit of hardware or need to use a particular piece of software that isn't available in the repository. Troubleshooting Linux problems is teadious as fuck though. If you don't go down the buying preinstalled route and don't have a spare machine to test on, check out forums like
Linux - Laptop and Netbook Forum

Reactions: LDC
Chromebooks meets those needs, not your specific software requirements, but there are plenty of alternatives available including Firefox if you get a CB that can run Android apps.

Most modern/newer models support linux too (dual boot or summat I assume)

Chromebooks meets those needs, not your specific software requirements, but there are plenty of alternatives available including Firefox if you get a CB that can run Android apps.

Most modern/newer models support linux too (dual boot or summat I assume)

Fuck Google though.

Kinda decides that, 'eh.
Dunno what the deal is if you run/install linux - whether you can go without/around Google's services - you probably can

I only use Firefox, Thunderbird, Word, and a few other simple applications. I use Google for search but with all privacy things tight as fuck. So I think that's as good as it gets. Don't Chromebooks use apps all from the Play store and they use storage in the cloud and that? You can probably tell I'm a bit old school tech wise. :D

They look a bit pricey on that site but might be worth it for the support / no hassel.

Modern distrobutions of Linux, Ubuntu and Mint are easy to install. You can run them off a usbstick without installing to test first as well. The trouble comes if you have some imcompatible bit of hardware or need to use a particular piece of software that isn't available in the repository. Troubleshooting Linux problems is teadious as fuck though. If you don't go down the buying preinstalled route and don't have a spare machine to test on, check out forums like
Linux - Laptop and Netbook Forum

The Apollo one looks about right specs and gets good reviews, bit over priced for me though.

I only use Firefox, Thunderbird, Word, and a few other simple applications. I use Google for search but with all privacy things tight as fuck. So I think that's as good as it gets. Don't Chromebooks use apps all from the Play store and they use storage in the cloud and that? You can probably tell I'm a bit old school tech wise. :D

I use my Chromebook as it was designed. I use Google's services, email, browser etc. I have no real concerns and anything I don't want Google to see or have logged is done elsewhere. I do use a VPN and lots of ad/tracker blocking stuff on my Chromebook.

If that's not for you I'd use summat else or it just makes using the device more difficult. I know that Google have committed to making all new Chromebooks 'linux ready' I think they called it. I understand that you're using a linux OS so I don't see, if you are doing that, how you would have to goGoogle. But there ain't much point buying a Chromebook if that's the only way you're going to use your Chromebook in my opinion. Get summat better suited to the task.

Recent list of vendors here: 10 Places to Buy Linux Laptops in 2019

Starlabs advertise on www.distrowatch.com https://starlabs.systems
Various distros available on a range of machines.

Can't recommend any of the vendors above as I've never used them. I have used Linux in the past with varying levels of success. Did a year of my Masters Degree using an Ubuntu machine (on dial up! long time ago) with no problems writing, researching, printing etc.

If I were going Linux again I'd be tempted to buy a refurb thinkpad X1 Carbon off ebay and use that for booting a few different distros.

YMMV obvs

Recent list of vendors here: 10 Places to Buy Linux Laptops in 2019

Starlabs advertise on www.distrowatch.com https://starlabs.systems
Various distros available on a range of machines.

Can't recommend any of the vendors above as I've never used them. I have used Linux in the past with varying levels of success. Did a year of my Masters Degree using an Ubuntu machine (on dial up! long time ago) with no problems writing, researching, printing etc.

If I were going Linux again I'd be tempted to buy a refurb thinkpad X1 Carbon off ebay and use that for booting a few different distros.

YMMV obvs

Why varying success? I've not used it more than once on someone else's machine briefly so all ears if there's better options. Isn't it just simple and virus free and able to run the stuff I want?

Why varying success? I've not used it more than once on someone else's machine briefly so all ears if there's better options. Isn't it just simple and virus free and able to run the stuff I want?

Well, i haven't used linux for 4 or 5 years with any serious intent.
I know a few people on here share the opinion that Linux wasn't (still isn't?) ready for the mainstream in the same pointy/clicky it works way that Windows/MAC OS is/was.
Without exception there was always something that didn't work properly/as it should/or, in some cases, at all. Wifi. Sound. Printing. Always something. Machine/Driver/BIOS dependent I imagine.
This said, I was always installing onto machines that had been designed or built with Windows on mind. And this was between 2004 and 2015.
Dual booting was generally a pain in the ass.
Installing was sometimes problematic - usually lack of driver support. This pushed me towards using live distributions and running linux from a CD/DVD or USB stick.

The successes always felt more 'oh that was lucky' rather than 'I did it'.

Ubuntu and Puppy linux were my favourites due to more stuff working than not. Usually everything.

I never managed to get things like Word working under WINE emulation and used word processors like Abi Word etc.

You'll have more success if you are buying a machine that was designed to have linux installed, I'm sure.

That will be a problem. You can use libre office instead but there will be a few compatibility problems. If you have office 365 you might get away with using it solely in the browser.

But you won't be able to run it natively in Linux.

Yeah, I mean I use Word now, but more than happy to fuck that off for Open Office.

Just been sent a link to refurbished Macbook Airs for low prices. Bah, being dragged back.

“I hate windows 10” which involves logging in, opening word or a web browser. Finishing the work and then shutting it down. Occasionally rebooting when updates are due before shutting down.

Devastating.

Yeah, I mean I use Word now, but more than happy to fuck that off for Open Office.

You should be grand then. Use Mint or Ubuntu and most things will just work. My preference is CentOS but I use that a lot with work so I know my way around it. I still need to check forums and the docs pretty regularly though.

You should be grand then. Use Mint or Ubuntu and most things will just work. My preference is CentOS but I use that a lot with work so I know my way around it. I still need to check forums and the docs pretty regularly though.

The machine that sounded and felt OK to me was that Lenovo Ideapad S340. Think that can have Windows deleted and Linux installed OK, or will I be left with a expensive folding metal tray?

The machine that sounded and felt OK to me was that Lenovo Ideapad S340. Think that can have Windows deleted and Linux installed OK, or will I be left with a expensive folding metal tray?

I just did a quick google and found someone on the ubuntu forums talking about the memory not working so you might want to do a bit of research before you commit.

You could get a cheapo macbook and stick linux on it.

I've recently installed popos on my dell 7390 and was surprised how slick and stable it is. Everything just works, from the bluetooth to the touchscreen, and apart from the on screen keyboard being a bit enthusiastic it's fantastic, I've used loads of linux distros and am very impressed with this one. It uses the latest version of ubuntu as a base and just fixes and tidies up a load of bits that make it a really easy distribution to work with, it uses gnome shell, which is a bit of a marmite environment, I love it and find it very productive but you might not, it's easy to change to something else though.

Back
Top Bottom