Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Dilemma: report a very sweary bus driver, or not?

trabuquera

Modesty Bag
I need to consult the hive mind consensus on this one please.

Yesterday mid-afternoon got on a bus for a short bus journey SW9-SE24 on the 37 route. Driver seemed WELL stressed out - he was absolutely YELLING abuse at other road users (not the people boarding or using the bus tho) and some of it was clearly audible to all the passengers on the bottom deck and probably some of the ones at the front of the top deck too. I couldn't drive a London bus in a million years, I know how stressful it must be, some of the public are really annoying, maybe he'd got problems at home, and certainly the "Sunday drivers" were testing his patience beyond the limit. Still I'm not sure that full-throated shouting "YOU F****** C** WHAT THE ***** IS WRONG WITH YOU * WHAT IS THAT YOU NEED A KICK IN THE *" etc etc etc (it wasn't just to one person on the road, either, this went on for about 5 straight minutes) is right for a bus driver. His driving itself was OK (bit less aggressive than many others I've ridden with TBH) and not erratic or dangerous in any way. But his behaviour and language were pretty scary for some of the kids and the older people (70s, 80s) on the bus, who were gasping and looking shocked at each other.

So what should I have done there? I sort of worry that he's either a psycho himself, or cracking under impossible demands or bad management - and either of those could be dangerous to the public. But I don't want to be the **** myself, making a hard working man's life harder by grassing him up and ringing his employers. I didn't say anything at the time because ... too cowardly and also I thought 'well maybe he's right there ...'
What do you think? Have a word? Shut up and take it? Ring the bosses? What's right to do?

Did you try talking to him rather than storing up your frustration and anger to be dealt with later (probably what this bloke is doing too). Really bad that everyone could hear and im sure it was intimidating though.

However, I think its important to communicate this to someones face in as tactful a way as possible. I think his language is totally inappropriate and not having a go btw. Not sure I would consider reporting unless anything had been directed towards passengers etc, personally. It's possible he was totally unaware of just how much he had lost it... cant be typical daily behaviour surely.

Many years ago I was on a 14 bus in Crouch End. The driver swore at a woman with a pram for taking too long getting off the bus. I swore back at him when I got off. I made the mistake of going in front of his bus when I got off. He actively swerved the bus across the road to try and knock me down.

I got on the next bus and got off at the Nags Head Holloway Rd to report him to the depot. I was met with blank looks and denial they could do anything as I hadnt got his number (little yellow number on the side of the bus). He drove the same route, same time the next day. Again I failed to get the yellow number, as I was too busy trying to punch him through the side window.

I'd say its not worth your time and effort based on that.

I don't think anyone should behave like that whist carrying out a public service. If there were kids in earshot of that someone should of told him to turn it in and have a word with himself.

Never witnessed anything like up here but my experience of using public transport in the smoke leaves me unsurprised by what is described above. I bet no one said anything.

not sure i want to get in to the whether you should or not.

in terms of practicalities, if you are going to, then complaints about buses in London should be directed to TFL not the operating bus company - more here

bus 37 runs from Peckham bus garage - phone is (020) 7064 5740 (info from here, so it's public domain) but they will probably refer you to TFL.

ultimately, they will want something in writing if they are going to consider disciplinary action against the driver, not a phone call from someone who doesn't want to leave their name. they are unlikely to go and 'have a quiet word'

and did you note any of the detail of the bus? e.g. bus registration number, or the 'running number' (yellow plate on the side or front of bus)? they may be able to trace the bus if you give an exact time, but if you say "it was about half past three" then it could have been one of two or three buses, and all the drivers will deny everything. i'm not sure if TFL can / will try to trace your journey from your oyster / payment card info.

I need to consult the hive mind consensus on this one please.

Yesterday mid-afternoon got on a bus for a short bus journey SW9-SE24 on the 37 route. Driver seemed WELL stressed out - he was absolutely YELLING abuse at other road users (not the people boarding or using the bus tho) and some of it was clearly audible to all the passengers on the bottom deck and probably some of the ones at the front of the top deck too. I couldn't drive a London bus in a million years, I know how stressful it must be, some of the public are really annoying, maybe he'd got problems at home, and certainly the "Sunday drivers" were testing his patience beyond the limit. Still I'm not sure that full-throated shouting "YOU F****** C** WHAT THE ***** IS WRONG WITH YOU * WHAT IS THAT YOU NEED A KICK IN THE *" etc etc etc (it wasn't just to one person on the road, either, this went on for about 5 straight minutes) is right for a bus driver. His driving itself was OK (bit less aggressive than many others I've ridden with TBH) and not erratic or dangerous in any way. But his behaviour and language were pretty scary for some of the kids and the older people (70s, 80s) on the bus, who were gasping and looking shocked at each other.

So what should I have done there? I sort of worry that he's either a psycho himself, or cracking under impossible demands or bad management - and either of those could be dangerous to the public. But I don't want to be the **** myself, making a hard working man's life harder by grassing him up and ringing his employers. I didn't say anything at the time because ... too cowardly and also I thought 'well maybe he's right there ...'
What do you think? Have a word? Shut up and take it? Ring the bosses? What's right to do?

London bus drivers are horribly overworked these days. Unless his driving was dangerous I wouldn't report him. Kids say worse to each other as a matter of course and the old folk will have forgotten about it by now.

I used to drive a van for work. There was a lot of swearing invovled. The world is packed floor to ceiling with utter morons and there's nothing like half an hour on urban roads to remind you of that fact.

Report the matter to his garage, together with the time that it took place and a description of the individual concerned (and any of the other details mentioned earlier that you have) so that he can receive any support or advice that he needs before he or someone is seriously injured.

Try reporting it with just the day and your concerns about working conditions for drivers. They cant change the traffic but you could say your concern is management, working hours and that they have a responsibility to their bus drivers etc.

One driver on my local route gets sweary at times but is actually quite friendly and like yours drives better than others on the route. I would have few qualms about complaining about dangerous driving, but would not want to put someone's job on the line for swearing, however inappropriate it might seem.

There is also the wrong time & the wrong place to try and reason with someone at bursting point. Especially if they are your bus driver.

Everyone wants to be listened to and for someone to care, on some level. Maybe 10 seconds of offloading would make all the difference for this guy. Maybe rather than a fuck off you'd have received a more human response and it would have delayed the bus by 10 seconds at the most.

I find this kind of atomisation quite depressing. A whole bus is shocked and wont say anything to the guy's face but ponder reporting him to his bosses days later. I cant believe no one would have said anything round here... old people especially, given how inappropriate the swearing sounded.

One of the things a friend of mine claims he most liked about living in Israel is how direct people are in situations like this and how stuff like this doesnt generally build up. There would be a full on row, sure, but everyone would go home happy/happier having actually engaged with others in the moment, rather than letting it simmer.

Even though there's a lot of people getting on and off a bus I can imagine that it is also a lonely job these days. In the past there seemed to be time for a quick chat, especially with regular passengers and at termini. I can imagine that this makes the job a bit more stressful than it was. Then dealing with the traffic these days it must have become a difficult job in big cities.

Let the man be. It might not have been nice to hear him swearing, but why should his job and livelihood by threatened for it?

I wouldnt report someone who is doing their job properly...the driver did what he is paid for.
He wasnt directing his ire at you or the other passengers. Obviously his working conditions are stressful...

The time to say or do something if you really wanted to, was on the bus. To his face. Not behind his back to his employer a few days later. If you needed to think about it then you cant just complain later on. That's not exactly fair to the driver.

Leave it be would be my advice. You lost your opportunity to help the guy. Any written report to his employer would be viewed as a complaint and no doubt his working life would get worse. The guy might even get fired.

Btw. Most elderly people have heard bad language. And most kids hear worse on a school yard. If you felt uncomfortable yourself then the only course of action was to say something at the time to the driver.

If it happens again and you still feel he is wrong then as you are getting off the bus quietly advise him that his tirade of abuse can be heard by passengers including kids and elderly people.

It's not a great situation but who knows just what kind of day/week/life he's been enduring? As a kid, Dublin bus conducters could be terrifying to us and you'd not know why they'd have a go. Until you got older and saw some of the carry on from some lads, burning seats, drinking, spitting and in later years all the holdups with syringes. Mind, that could have been after the buses became driver only.

Maybe a genuine "are you ok, mate" if it happens again.

I've just got on a 37 at Peckham Bus Station and am on my way to Clapham Common; waiting in baited anticipation for the swear-fest to commence. I shall report every "fuck", "cunt", "wanker", and all permutations in real time.

Had a thing here on the bus the other day which I thought went pretty well. Driver kept stopping longer at the stops and using his phone. A woman complained to him (she was more worried about the delay than safety and fair enough, he wasn't in motion), he turned it in but she wouldn't let it go, kept banging on and in the end got her own phone out to call the complaint line. At this point, other passengers who had broadly supported her said leave it, we all struggle to get through, let's just get on with the journey and it all resolved with no names no pack drill.

Was he Scottish and heavily tattooed by any chance?

I once got on a bus towards Brixton down Clapham Park Road, and im sure it was the 37. My card didn't initially work on the oyster machine, so i tapped it again and it did work. As in, clearly fucking worked with the positive noise and green light. The arsehole driving the bus didnt agree with his own machine that tells him i have paid my fare, and an argument quickly escalates due to his aggressive manner. It settles down as he probably realises he is wrong so he starts pulling out and as i move away from the cab i call him an idiot. Probably not the best idea, as he slams on the breaks sending half the bus going flying. Another short row ensues, by this time passengers are getting pissed off so i leave it, get off at Brixton, and we exchange obscene gestures at one another.

This driver was completely out of order, unhinged and frankly unsuitable to be doing a responsible job such as driving a public bus. Wonder if it was the same chap as the OP is discussing?

^nope - this guy was definitely NOT Scottish or tattooed - it's a different man.

To be clear: he was really sweary (obscene and misogynist) but the abuse was not racist or homophobic and it wasn't being blasted at any of the passengers. (I swear a lot myself and don't seriously believe anyone on the bus was scarred for life by the experience even if it was unpleasant.) Of COURSE I didn't ask this question here because I was looking/hoping to get him sacked or disciplined. It was more that the volume (right proper full-volume shouting) and the SHEER FUCKING LENGTH of the sweariness made me a bit worried about his state of mind and how safe he was to be in charge of the vehicle - it looked & sounded like someone really losing it. If he'd just been muttering stuff under his breath I wouldn't care at all. It really did leave me in two minds in the moment, and that's why I asked for opinions here.

Back
Top Bottom