Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Developing London

hash tag

Reaching out
Is it not time we had a thread specifically for developments in London; Battersea and Vauxhall excepted.
Given that the peasants are revolting because the allotments in Syon Park are about to fall to some greedy bastard.

Syon Park is a fine park to the West of London, on the river towards Brentford, dating back to 15th c.

Yeesh. My first job was spending a year in a shed in the south east corner of the Truman brewery, back when it was still possible to find a half-decent curry on Brick Lane.

As an aside, I already know that the answer is "it's cheaper" but why are almost all new builds this hideous faux-brick facade with square windows utterly devoid of ornamentation? It looks so stark and sterile. Around here there's a dozen low-rises springing up all done in the same style and they look dreadful, especially next to the victorian originals they're supposed to be blending in with. You can't heave a brick around London it seems without it being caught by a development firm who'll look at it disapprovingly, tossing it in to the face of an objecting local resident and recommend cladding instead.

The faux brick is a reaction to everyone complaining that everything is made of steel and glass these days :thumbs:

There is better and worse when it comes to brick cladding though. Some of it is pretty horrible but it can be good when done well.

This is quite old now and not unexpected - Army and Navy as was, in Victoria Street is for the chop?

Is this why Ashley has bought up these stores; not to keep them going but simply to redevelop?

The faux brick is a reaction to everyone complaining that everything is made of steel and glass these days :thumbs:

There is better and worse when it comes to brick cladding though. Some of it is pretty horrible but it can be good when done well.
This on Blackfriars Road, for example Google Maps

Screenshot 2021-05-02 232439.jpg

It's all slips on concrete panels, but looks very nice

Watching Chinatown this last twenty years has been fascinating.

The entire Soho area is just a theme park now with Chinatown especially getting a pasting.

Reactions: tim
I walked to Hackney Wick yesterday afternoon , that is starting to change a lot. It was mostly warehouses, and industrial units. There was one pub but it closed years ago. That pub (The Lord Napier ) is re-opening in June . And there are a couple of breweries now with tap rooms and other restaurant/bars too. It was heaving with folk.

I walked to Hackney Wick yesterday afternoon , that is starting to change a lot. It was mostly warehouses, and industrial units. There was one pub but it closed years ago. That pub (The Lord Napier ) is re-opening in June . And there are a couple of breweries now with tap rooms and other restaurant/bars too. It was heaving with folk.
I often heave as I pass through the area when I see what's happening to it

I find the weirdest thing is walking along Waterden Road on the Olympic site, 'cause, it use to be the site of many a squat party. sigh

I find the weirdest thing is walking along Waterden Road on the Olympic site, 'cause, it use to be the site of many a squat party. sigh

Its not all bad news. Pretty much all the land out that way was horribly polluted from industry. The remediation of the land that started with the Olympics is still going strong now and making it all safe again.

Christ. Please don't tell me any of the actual rooms will be below ground. £450+ a night to stay in a windowless basement?
Nah it's all plant, kitchens, ballroom, cinema, swimming pool, spa etc. Nothing that needs a window.

This is quite old now and not unexpected - Army and Navy as was, in Victoria Street is for the chop?

Is this why Ashley has bought up these stores; not to keep them going but simply to redevelop?

I can't imagine that the demand for new office space, particularly in an area as relatively perifferal as Victoria is going to be much higher than that for department stores in the next few years.

I don’t mind development but I just wish everything wasn’t so ugly and covered in cladding.

You could turn the Truman into something nice and scrap the car park that’s on site without throwing up a new mall or generic office block - medium density brickwork flats or offices.

The boards came down near Foyles over lockdown and it’s all just so fucking ugly

42D0C13C-7A4D-441A-AC0F-9E4F47851C0A.jpeg

Had a walk around New Kings Cross the other day , still loads of building going on , it's a massive scheme .

Back
Top Bottom