Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Cyclist killed in Brixton

It’s the driver’s assumed duty to remain clear if pedestrians and cyclists
Let’s be absolutely clear though that there are certain situations in which pedestrians and cyclists can be 100% at fault, and there’s nothing at all the operator of the vehicle involved could have done even when paying full attention. The majority of accidents are the driver’s fault, but by no means all of them.

RIP Earl Martin Reynolds. 😔View attachment 447029

The late Mr Reynolds' family is well-known in Brixton and the surrounding area, having lived there for several generations and also having owned two separate businesses in Coldharbour Lane, only a short distance from the site of the earliest post-war Caribbean settlement.

Tragically, it appears that he was killed only a couple of hundred metres from where he and his siblings were brought up.

447033-5ed5313595c5af64d59bd1c91379dedc.jpg

Condolences to the many friends and family of the Late Earl Martin Reynolds in and around Brixton and beyond who will have been personally impacted by this sad news.

Last edited:
The late Mr Reynolds' family is well-known in Brixton and the surrounding area, having lived there for several generations and also having owned two separate businesses in Coldharbour Lane, only a short distance from the site of the earliest post-war Caribbean settlement.

Tragically, it appears that he was killed only a couple of hundred metres from where he and his siblings were brought up.

447033-5ed5313595c5af64d59bd1c91379dedc.jpg

Condolences to the many friends and family of the Late Earl Martin Reynolds in and around Brixton and beyond who will have been personally impacted by this sad news.

There are a number of very moving floral tributes on the traffic island today. His brother was there at lunchtime when I walked past and we spoke for a minute or two. I hope others also stopped to give a kind word and wish the family strength.

I cycle that stretch every day and always feel conscious of my vulnerability there. There’s a lot of late lane-changing as vehicles bound for Tulse Hill realise they’re being funnelled into the loop around St Matthew’s - a manoeuvre that takes them right across the short central cycle lane, or that can cause traffic in the left-hand lane to drift across the bike path next to the pavement.

There are a number of very moving floral tributes on the traffic island today. His brother was there at lunchtime when I walked past and we spoke for a minute or two. I hope others also stopped to give a kind word and wish the family strength.

I cycle that stretch every day and always feel conscious of my vulnerability there. There’s a lot of late lane-changing as vehicles bound for Tulse Hill realise they’re being funnelled into the loop around St Matthew’s - a manoeuvre that takes them right across the short central cycle lane, or that can cause traffic in the left-hand lane to drift across the bike path next to the pavement.
Too many vehicles approach that junction at pace.

Too many vehicles approach that junction at pace.
Such sad news, i agree the whole road scheme in that area is very poor, very little traffic calming / speed cameras. Starting at the crossroads of Brixton Road and Acre Lane / Coldhardbour and moving up to where this horrible accident occurred the highway is poorly designed. It certainly felt like the junctions have been designed with cars in mind and not to protect the more vulnerable pedestrians and cyclists. Unfortunately I can recall several horrific accidents over the years, and nothing seems to have changed. The fact Lambeth townhall overlooks the whole area just makes it feel worse somehow.

The LTNs have at least made it possible now to avoid central Brixton for some journeys (Atlantic Rd - Railton Rd - Herne Hill if you're going east and Lyham Rd if you're going west of Brixton Hill). There's a chunk in the middle that's still horrible to cycle through though.

On a related note, twice yesterday buses nearly put me in danger on my journey to Tulse Hill. On both occasions they were picking up passengers and still indicating left so I put my arm out to pass them, but they then pulled out without indicating, potentially pushing me into incoming traffic.

Despite all the improvements, cycling is still way more dangerous than it needs to be.

The dire state of the bricks that make up the road surface on that stretch outside where all the bus stops are also makes it worse. No idea why they thought bricks worked for such a high-traffic route, they look nice for about five minutes.

The dire state of the bricks that make up the road surface on that stretch outside where all the bus stops are also makes it worse. No idea why they thought bricks worked for such a high-traffic route, they look nice for about five minutes.
That whole stretch along Effra Road up to Water Lane is in appalling condition, with huge potholes that rattle bikes to the core.

The LTNs have at least made it possible now to avoid central Brixton for some journeys (Atlantic Rd - Railton Rd - Herne Hill if you're going east and Lyham Rd if you're going west of Brixton Hill). There's a chunk in the middle that's still horrible to cycle through though.
yes, I go through Brixton regularly but use Railton Road, which is great. and the A203 is OK. would avoid being on the high street as much as possible. and Atlantic Road is all about avoiding pedestrians.

I just won't cycle in London any more. I used to but I value my life too much to be dealing with all the bad drivers and unsegregated cycleways these days. Not to mention the bike thievery. It's a shame, especially when you see how much more cycle friendly other places are in Europe.
I switched to mainly using Lime bikes recently - they're heavy, sturdy but surprisingly nippy thanks to the battery power and it's great not having to worry about some scumbag stealing my wheels.

And seeing as it takes me just ten minutes to get from Coldharbour Lane to Tulse Hill station, it's faster than the bus/train!

I switched to mainly using Lime bikes recently - they're heavy, sturdy but surprisingly nippy thanks to the battery power and it's great not having to worry about some scumbag stealing my wheels.

And seeing as it takes me just ten minutes to get from Coldharbour Lane to Tulse Hill station, it's faster than the bus/train!
Quite pricey I thought for short journeys

RIP Mr Reynolds

Last edited:
On a related note, twice yesterday buses nearly put me in danger on my journey to Tulse Hill. On both occasions they were picking up passengers and still indicating left so I put my arm out to pass them, but they then pulled out without indicating, potentially pushing me into incoming traffic.

Despite all the improvements, cycling is still way more dangerous than it needs to be.
I remember from my van driving days never to trust bus indicators, they have their own logic which I used to tune into but can't remember the rules of now, basically ignore bus indicators

Rip Mr Reynolds

Quite pricey I thought for short journeys

RIP Mr Reynolds
Well it'll be cheaper than buying a new bike and expensive locks - and still maybe getting your bike stolen - but if you use them a fair bit, the £9/month Lime Pass makes them more affordable.

For example, a trip from the Railway in Tulse Hill to Hootananny cost me £1.74. And I got a bit of exercise in, too!

Back
Top Bottom