Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Crystal Palace Festival with headliners Stereo MC’s and Polarbear, 11th-17th June 2018

editor

hiraethified
It's back again this year!

stereo-mcs.jpg

Crystal Palace Festival returns in June 2018 with headliners Stereo MC’s and Polarbear

I have to say I didn't enjoy it much last year. To be fair, that was partly the appallingly hot weather, but also it's got bigger and bigger every year - it sucks in more and more people but there's not really that much on and it all feels a bit soulless. The early days were much more DIY fun with all the local pubs and shops putting local bands on and the like.

The Sunday is still a bit like that, but the Saturday has been a bit rubbish for some time.

It will never top Tony Hatch leading everyone through a stirring rendition of Downtown at Westow Park.

I’m just seeing this thread now. I was there yesterday and it was a good day out. I was there with my two kids and by the time faces were painted, an ice cream for each of them, a go on the rides and two pints for me, I was £60 down.

Security was very heavy, a lot of them dressed to look as much like police as possible. There were searches on the way in with piles of booze which had been confiscated. I saw some tooled up security frogmarch two guys out. I’m not sure what they had done, but I did see that it was an undercover guy and girl who directed them to where they were. The undercover guy was dressed very scruffily but had a walkie talkie. The girl looked like a suburban housewife and tried to direct the heavy mob without being seen.

There was some good music on, although I didn’t stay for the Stereo MCs. There was a village green stage which had a great gospel choir and a new acts stage with some singer songwriter stuff on. The one time I was down by the main stage, it was the act just before Stereo MCs who were apologising that a power cut was forcing them to abandon their set.

Strangely, there were crates and crates of orange squash with very short date being given away. Thousands upon thousands of bottles. People carrying crates at a time. Nobody giving them out, just a free forall. What I would expect to cost 50p a bottle in the tramp’s buffet and people were breaking their backs to carry a year’s supply with them, even though it will be past its sell by in a month.

Gipsy Hill brewery had a stall doing pints of their Hepcat for £6 a pint which, while expensive, was tasty and efficiently served with minimal queueing. The bar at the main stage was charging £4.50 for a 440ml of Red Stripe, which would be hard to hand over.

A good day out nevertheless and I’ll go back next year.

They were selling generic pilsner and ipa for a fiver a pint which was alright.

Last year we went with a load of mates and this time it was just us so it was slightly different. Lots more waiting around for the kids to do art stuff instead of just sitting by the main stage drinking.

I thought it was decent though. Lots of security like you say but no trouble that I saw. Apart from the group in front of us who kept pulling each other's pants down. Could have done without that. Hairy arses everywhere. :(

Bought a t shirt though and is that fuck extra large. :mad:

I really enjoyed that. Last year felt very bland but this was much better. Rodney P and Skitz were great and overall there was a pleasing undercurrent of dirty rave. Plus it was not impossibly hot like last year. More shenanigans round the Triangle today.

Coming past the Royal Albert on the triangle at 4 yesterday and it looked brilliant with a DJ out front, playing on the flat bed of a pickup, and loads of people enjoying it. If I hadn’t had the kids, I mightn’t have made it to the festival site.

I thought it was pretty good, beer wasn't the cheapest, but its a free festival so can't complain. My other half spent most of the day stroking random dogs.

Generally a really friendly crowd, sound quality was good, thought stereo MC's and rodney p and skitz were really good.

Rodney P & Skitz were great. Drinks were a rip off but we didn't go there for a booze up. Left before Stereo MC's to organise the teenager's party but had a nice afternoon. Not too many Palarse shirts either, thankfully. Albion.

Did anyone take pics? I couldn't make it but would love to use a few quotes form here and stick up a mini feature on Buzz to support the festival.

Rodney P & Skitz were great. Drinks were a rip off but we didn't go there for a booze up. Left before Stereo MC's to organise the teenager's party but had a nice afternoon. Not too many Palarse shirts either, thankfully. Albion.
Not many of them live in London.

I thought it was decent though. Lots of security like you say but no trouble that I saw. Apart from the group in front of us who kept pulling each other's pants down. Could have done without that. Hairy arses everywhere. :(
you could have moved, you didn't have to see it

Did anyone take pics? I couldn't make it but would love to use a few quotes form here and stick up a mini feature on Buzz to support the festival.
I've got two vids on my phone and thats it.

I'd like to take my camera next year, and my partner was wondering if she should contact them as the kung fu school she co runs has started doing lion dance performances with the kids.

I've got two vids on my phone and thats it.

I'd like to take my camera next year, and my partner was wondering if she should contact them as the kung fu school she co runs has started doing lion dance performances with the kids.
And they good enough to grab some still from as well?

And they good enough to grab some still from as well?
Probably not..... I was pretty drunk. Ill have a look when I'm not in the office.

I've also got a photo of the the morley's jubilee meal on the board, and me absolutely hammered in morleys with about 4 bottles of squash.

Back
Top Bottom