Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Crows and vengeance

bimble

floofy
I am reading about crows and this is the best bit. If you didn’t know, don’t ever piss off a crow. They don’t just remember the face of the human who wronged them they can tell each other (?!) who it is and orchestrate years of comeuppance for you, generational grievances.

this man for instance, who meant well but ended up on the wrong side of the crows:

sciency stuff on crow grudges. Just don’t piss them off.

This is the experiment that demonstrates seriously don’t piss them off.

Lots of crows where I live (and ravens) and I’m properly wary around them now, in case they have chicks and I piss them off in some way and get divebombed for generations.

I got divebombed, lots, by crows on ecstasy. I was on ecstasy, not them. I was with my dog. Scared the life out of me, dog didn't give a damn.

Jays are the best crows, do amazing things with acorns. Crows clean the countryside for us. I saw one yesterday flying overhead with god knows what in it's gob but it looked a foot long at least. There's no way it was food. Maybe it was building a house, I dunno. They're clever bastards.

They (crows / corvids generally) may be clever so-and-so's but they still trespass into the airspace around our local lapwings.
Which is a really, really bad idea, unless you like being mobbed by lapwings. Who seem to have vtol abilities in the breeding season and are prepared to defend their patch / airspace.
Seen several crows / magpies over the years cross into lapwing zone, get mobbed and exit stage left at great speed. Lapwings then skydance to prove their point.
You would think the corvids would learn not to take chances ...

Used to live near some rookeries, they were very active at attacking birds of prey that came too close.

I think rooks are in groups and crows are solitary, is that right?

Lots of crows where I live (and ravens) and I’m properly wary around them now, in case they have chicks and I piss them off in some way and get divebombed for generations.
My dad has befriended crows by chucking dog treats when out with the dog. They got to know him and came to the house. Cawed on next door’s roof and he’d come out, chuck a treat on the garage roof and off they went.

On the whole, yes.

Yes I heard that if you see more than one crow they're rooks, which you can remember because there are rookeries there aren't croweries. Not always true though I did subsequently learn. Not often close enough to examine their trousers to distinguish them though.

My dad has befriended crows by chucking dog treats when out with the dog. They got to know him and came to the house. Cawed on next door’s roof and he’d come out, chuck a treat on the garage roof and off they went.
I bet the neighbours love him. You can't beat the sound of hungry crows at 5am.

Yes I heard that if you see more than one crow they're rooks, which you can remember because there are rookeries there aren't croweries. Not always true though I did subsequently learn. Not often close enough to examine their trousers to distinguish them though.

an dof course rooks look different to crows.

Back
Top Bottom