Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Crowdfunding a small covered stand at Dulwich Hamlet

editor

hiraethified
This was discussed on the General Chat thread but I thought it might be worth opening up the chat.

Even a small, ultra basic covered stand would make a real difference to the atmosphere (and give the loudest supporters some much needed cover) and judging by this one at Clapton they can't cost that much (can they?).

CWCEyPbW4AAHbXP.jpg

I'm hoping that we could get the man/woman power in house and maybe try an appeal for the materials and crowdfund for the rest. I'd be happy to do a benefit.

What do you think?

I think it looks pretty shit myself, a scrapyard.

It also has to be done properly as it's a health and safety issue. Knowing a bit about scaffolding the whole thing can become a parachute if its not tied in or down correctly. I'm all for having a covered end and scaffolding is probably the cheapest and quickest option but I think it needs to look good too and be done correctly.

Personally, I wouldn't waste a penny on it. Fingers crossed there will be cover at the new ground, if it's supported by southwark council, once the planning application goes in. That's good enough for me.
If I've got money to spare I'd rather put it toward getting The Hamlet closer to the title. by putting it into the "12th Man" bucket....First you have to raise money, then you have to get planning permission. Then you need the safety certificate. Which all takes time...by which time it might almost be time to move into a new ground...

Be aware you'll lose 7.5-10% of the amount you raise to platform and transaction fees. Given the platform you've got here, I'd be inclined to say you can probably do it yourself with the expertise around the forum and site generally. Happy to chat through the logistics if itd help. But the comments about timing and stuff are pretty relevant too.

While I like the idea of having covered ends - hopefully they'll be in place in the new ground - I have to say I wouldn't be too keen on putting one on the current ground. I'm assuming it would be at the carwash end. For me the big problem at the moment is that it's getting to the point where it's really hard to actually see the game in the second half and I really wouldn't be keen on anything that would make that worse, and I think a cover would do that. Especially if it was only part of the width of the pitch.

The covered ends at Bury Town yesterday made a massive difference. Whilst the Dulwich away turn out was not as big as more recent away games, we were proper loud when we got going.

Though doing it at our place, it has been discussed a few times before but shelved due to moving to a new ground.

I do like a scaffold stand though.

Last edited:
I think it looks pretty shit myself, a scrapyard.

It also has to be done properly as it's a health and safety issue.
The one above has passed health and safety. I don't care much how stylish it looks if it's helping create a bigger and better atmosphere at Hamlet and keeping me dry in the process.

While I like the idea of having covered ends - hopefully they'll be in place in the new ground - I have to say I wouldn't be too keen on putting one on the current ground. I'm assuming it would be at the carwash end. For me the big problem at the moment is that it's getting to the point where it's really hard to actually see the game in the second half and I really wouldn't be keen on anything that would make that worse, and I think a cover would do that. Especially if it was only part of the width of the pitch.
How so? People might crowd into the stand, but that would then create more space around it, no?

Personally, I wouldn't waste a penny on it. Fingers crossed there will be cover at the new ground, if it's supported by southwark council, once the planning application goes in. That's good enough for me.
If I've got money to spare I'd rather put it toward getting The Hamlet closer to the title. by putting it into the "12th Man" bucket....First you have to raise money, then you have to get planning permission. Then you need the safety certificate. Which all takes time...by which time it might almost be time to move into a new ground...
True, but unless we ask, who knows how cheaply we might get a stand?

It starts with stands and ends with prawn sandwiches.

Back in my grandfather's day they didn't even have umbrellas. A soggy newspaper held overhead was good enough.

Just say no to the gentrification of Dulwich football club.

It starts with stands and ends with prawn sandwiches.

Back in my grandfather's day they didn't even have umbrellas. A soggy newspaper held overhead was good enough.

So fucking hilarious.

Reactions: YTC
I'm not a DH fan, but I love these threads about it. If I'm ever in the UK at the right time and place I'm going to a game. It seems to be great fun.

• It starts with stands and ends with prawn sandwiches.

Dulwich Football Club folded over a hundred years ago..we ARE Dulwich Hamlet!

"we were proper loud when we got going."...yes...when we got going.
Unfortunately, especially in the first half some seemed more interested in trying out long-winded tunes to entertain their mates, and winding up the keeper, that will be included in the referee's official report...rather than keeping it simple & loud, and, um you know called me old fashioned, backing the team.

True, but unless we ask, who knows how cheaply we might get a stand?
No matter how cheap I still think it would be a waste...I'd rather people were concentrating their energies on making sure we have decent cover behind the goals at the proposed new ground.

Well yes. I'm probably being a bit selfish but I don't particularly want to start watching games from the corner of the ground.
A number of fans already do...because it's too crowded behind the goal. Imagine how many more would 'migrate' when loads try to crush under the proposed cover, and with sccaffold supports blocking views further...& you can bet your bottom dollar that some of those who cry out for cover will still not stand under it, but at the front of it, like at most away games. The only reason Bury Town's cover works 'properly' is because the cover stretched right to the pitch perimeter at the front, as their ends are quite narrow.

Actually, serious question. Are there requirements about cover for Conference South? As in, you must have a certain amount, or, if you do have some, it must meet certain standards?

Well yes. I'm probably being a bit selfish but I don't particularly want to start watching games from the corner of the ground.
I'm not sure how big you're imagining this stand to be, but I'm not thinking it's going to be something that covers the entire end. But, there again, if it covered a narrow strip at the back there would still be plenty of room in front. Anyway, it's just an idea. I don't like standing in the rain myself and I know how much louder the crowd would be with even a rudimentary roof above our heads.

There's a actually a very good covered stand at Champion Hill already but it's on the side so why not go under there for atmosphere.

I can hear it now "but we want to be behind the goal".

Clapton's is on the side though.

Back
Top Bottom