Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

CPO for Astoria music venue, central London, issued

Been on the cards for a while, but finally happening. I'm torn.

it is a total shitpit, but it's MY total shitpit, if you follow me :D

But... there will be nowhere left to go at this rate. Except the stupid big places. And Im developing a dislike bordering on hatred for that bloody O2 arena. :(

Seen some great bands there, Front 242 being the best by far especially when someone tear gassed the bar for a giggle... happy days indeed.

This really annoys me. If it was a theatre with a history of showing crappy musicals it would have been listed years ago. Their plan is to replace it with a 300ish capacity theatre to put on yet more plays. Great. It was the only centrally located music venue of that size and allowed all of London a fair chance of getting there easily. I've seen so many amazing gigs there. I now hate Crossrail.

i think it's probably a victim of bad planning around the area for decades particularly the whole street level/underpass centre point stuff. Not sure sure why the opposite street corner isn't a better bet mind.

At least it means cross rail is going ahead which is good news as it was a bit up in the air.

Unlikely to be squatted, too high profile.

i went to some great gigs at the astoria. i saw king kurt there once and it was one of the most bonkers nights that i've ever been at.

i miss venues with sticky carpets and smelly corners and flooded loos.

Just to note, its not only Astoira + Astoria 2 which will be demolished. Metro round the corner on Oxford Street will also close, and the block of buildings opposite Astoria next to Centre Point will also be demolished, which includes the club 'Sin'.

So a total of four music venues to be lost in one fell swoop.

I've also heard that, despite some campaigns, they just silently went ahead with approvals to demolish the Electric Ballroom in Camden.

Honestly, I cant think where all these extra small/medium bands are going to play now.

Just to note, its not only Astoira + Astoria 2 which will be demolished. Metro round the corner on Oxford Street will also close, and the block of buildings opposite Astoria next to Centre Point will also be demolished, which includes the club 'Sin'.

So a total of four music venues to be lost in one fell swoop.

I've also heard that, despite some campaigns, they just silently went ahead with approvals to demolish the Electric Ballroom in Camden.

Honestly, I cant think where all these extra small/medium bands are going to play now.

And we lost the Gheto just behind the Astoria. Its all because its the cheapest building to pull down. They could pull the virgin mega store building down instead or put it under soho square. There a church just behind the astoria. That could go. How may of those do we need in this city. The Astoria is special.

i do indeed follow you.

who wants to go to gigs solely at venues like O2.

not me.

I remember reading a while ago, the editor of the NME saying something along the lines of:

"The O2 isn't a "commercial" venue, unless by that you mean that the sound is great, the toilets aren't overflowing and everyone can see the band"

that man just does not get it does he:confused::(

e2a, in that article it says that no replacement will be built 'til after crossrail is finished, thats no nu Astoria until 2017:mad:

Problem is, is that the place (on the outside) - and the junction is a bleedin' eyesore. There is so much more they could do with TCR - thinking that waste-of-a-space water feature that could help ease the congestion and widen the pavements.

The shame is that a fairly large music venue that is on many bus routes is going to go, but with Crossrail coming in, it was always on the cards.

And we lost the Gheto just behind the Astoria. Its all because its the cheapest building to pull down. They could pull the virgin mega store building down instead or put it under soho square. There a church just behind the astoria. That could go. How may of those do we need in this city. The Astoria is special.

Given the state of some of the churches I'm surprised that some of them aren't converted - if anything just to get some more usage out of buildings that are otherwise vacant for 22 hours a day.

It was a bit of a shit venue layout-wise (god, that bloody crush for the cloakroom), but it was probably my most attended venue, so I am sad to see it going.

e2a, in that article it says that no replacement will be built 'til after crossrail is finished, thats no nu Astoria until 2017:mad:

2017? That's ages! Anyway, I thought the point of this was, amongst other things, for the Olympics?

It was a bit of a shit venue layout-wise (god, that bloody crush for the cloakroom), but it was probably my most attended venue, so I am sad to see it going.

Been there. But at least it has cloakrooms unlike the bigger venues, like Wembley Arena, not sure about The O2 but I assume its the same situation.

Never had to use the cloakrooms, but I did like the massively tiered design. If you were in a 'watching from the back' mood, you could go all the way to the top, get a perfect view, with a not-too-busy bar right where you were standing. Very civilised.

Back
Top Bottom