Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Court finds 11 inaccuracies in Al Gore's An Inconvenient Truth

ONE of the world's foremost meteorologists has called the theory that helped Al Gore share the Nobel Peace Prize "ridiculous" and the product of "people who don't understand how the atmosphere works".

Dr William Gray, a pioneer in the science of seasonal hurricane forecasts, told a packed lecture hall at the University of North Carolina that humans were not responsible for the warming of the earth. His comments came on the same day that the Nobel committee honoured Mr Gore for his work in support of the link between humans and global warming. "We're brainwashing our children," said Dr Gray, 78, a long-time professor at Colorado State University. "They're going to the Gore movie [An Inconvenient Truth] and being fed all this. It's ridiculous."
Dr Gray, whose annual forecasts of the number of tropical storms and hurricanes are widely publicised, said a natural cycle of ocean water temperatures - related to the amount of salt in ocean water - was responsible for the global warming that he acknowledges has taken place. However, he said, that same cycle meant a period of cooling would begin soon and last for several years.
Dr Gray also said those who had linked global warming to the increased number of hurricanes in recent years were in error. He cited statistics showing there were 101 hurricanes from 1900 to 1949, in a period of cooler global temperatures, compared to 83 from 1957 to 2006 when the earth warmed.

"The human impact on the atmosphere is simply too small to have a major effect on global temperatures," Dr Gray said. He said his beliefs had made him an outsider in popular science. "It bothers me that my fellow scientists are not speaking out against something they know is wrong," he said. "But they also know that they'd never get any grants if they spoke out. I don't care about grants."

http://www.smh.com.au/articles/2007/10/13/1191696238792.html

bigfish said:
So the Manmade Global Warming house rag leaps to Gore's defence. No surprise there.

Bigfish, out of interest, do you accept that there is a phenomenon of "global warming"? On the arctic ice sheet thread you appear (to me) to be claiming that there is no such thing.

Dr William Gray, a pioneer in the science of seasonal hurricane forecasts, told a packed lecture hall at the University of North Carolina that humans were not responsible for the warming of the earth. [. . .] Dr Gray, 78, a long-time professor at Colorado State University

How come so many of the screw-the-environment brigade are so old?

Isaac Asimov's First Law of Prediction: "When a distinguished but elderly scientist states that something is possible, he is almost certainly right. When he states that something is impossible, he is very probably wrong."

bluestreak said:
so there is actually good scientific evidence i favour of the stuff the judge rejected? good grief ::mad:

I don't think the judge can be blamed much - the real hoot is the way it's been reported and the New Party claiming a "landmark victory" :rolleyes:

co-op said:
I'd like to see the actual court reports on this, because - on a really quick skim-read - at least one of Bigfish's claimed "inaccuracies" is just cock, to whit;

I mean - "the Claimants evidence"....says nothing whatsoever about whether it's true or not. When people post horseshit like this, you kind of know they are highly partisan.

Wonder what the court really did say though, it'd be interesting to know.

Mr Justice Burton does not agree with you. His judgement is available here:

http://www.bailii.org/ew/cases/EWHC/Admin/2007/2288.html

co-op said:
- anyway, if GW is happening then extreme weather events will become more common, of that I think there can be no doubt. So to that extent, attributing Katrina to GW is mistaken, but saying there will be a greater number of Katrinas if sea temperatures rise is correct.

I' afraid that's simply not true. Dr William Gray, one of the worlds leading authorities on hurricane, says that:

Those who had linked global warming to the increased number of hurricanes in recent years were in error. He cited statistics showing there were 101 hurricanes from 1900 to 1949, in a period of cooler global temperatures, compared to 83 from 1957 to 2006 when the earth warmed.

http://www.smh.com.au/articles/2007/...696238792.html

So according to Dr Gray warmer = fewer hurricanes not more as you're suggesting above.

co-op said:
Bigfish, out of interest, do you accept that there is a phenomenon of "global warming"? On the arctic ice sheet thread you appear (to me) to be claiming that there is no such thing.

Yes, I accept that the planet has warmed by about 0.7 degrees Celsius through something called rebounding (natural recovery) since the end of the Little Ice Age. According Dr. Syun-Ichi Akasofu, a Founding Director of the International Arctic Research Center of the University of Alaska, the rebounding rate is estimated at 0.5 degrees Celsius per century. Since our present warming rate is roughly 0.6 degrees Celsius per century, the greenhouse effect caused by CO2 may represent only a 0.1 degree Celsius increase in temperature over the course of a century, if that. Which in my view is nothing to get alarmed about.

mauvais said:
What in the name of envirocock is the New Party, and what exactly does this cretin stand to gain from banning the film in schools?

His gain would be that his children don't become brainwashed like you.

bluestreak said:
so there is actually good scientific evidence i favour of the stuff the judge rejected? good grief ::mad:

I know, why don't you launch an appeal against the High Court ruling? That way you can call New Scientist, RealClimate and the IPCC as expert witnesses. Personally, I'd pay money to watch those guys being cross examined under oath.

danny la rouge said:
I thought it was 9 innaccuracies?

Anyway: rich, liberal opportunist. The Bono of politics.

Apparently, Boneo was in the running for the peace prize too, but it was decided his utility to the cause of the European bourgeoisie wasn't as great as Gore's.

bigfish said:
Isn't that the site founded by Michael Mann the famous hockey stick fraudster?
Yes the BBC and New Scientist are all liars and anyone who publishes a paper that disagrees with you is a fraudster.

Science is easy when you are totaly right and everyone who has data you dont like is lying.

david dissadent said:
Yes the BBC and New Scientist are all liars and anyone who publishes a paper that disagrees with you is a fraudster.

Science is easy when you are totaly right and everyone who has data you dont like is lying.

Science is an open subject, wherein scientific theories must be able to withstand theoretical criticism, in order for them to stand.

The BBC is the British State's personal propaganda megaphone, witness their performance during the invasion of Iraq, for example.

New Scientist has been shilling for "manmade global warming" since the get go, just like the BBC.

Michael Mann's hockey stick study was not able to withstand theoretical criticism and has been comprehensively demolished... but you wont read that on the BBC website.

Bigfish

What is your role in the New Party then? Are you one of its more important members? Are you perhaps a big fish in a small pond? How small or big is it, how many members? As I said before you come across as an American Republican. Your location is no clue either.

bigfish said:
Science is an open subject, wherein scientific theories must be able to withstand theoretical criticism, in order for them to stand.
I am sorry but this is an increadibly weak definition of science for a science forum. What does "open subject" mean? Why only theoretical criticism not that from experimental data or field research? Of the top of my head Id say that science is the process of accumulating knowledge using the scientific method, that is to say a falsifyable hypothesis is proposed with testible predicitons to try to develop a better model of a phenominon in the universe.

Hypoheses and theories can be altered to better conform with data when they do not meet predicted outcomes. (this is called learning) or (relevant here) methedological flaws are pointed out in them.

Where you fail badly on science is to believe that a published paper challanging elements of a hypotheses or theory automaticaly invalidate it, if it agrees with your expected outcome. However anyone with a reasonable knowledge of the history of science will know that evidence that has appeared to kill a hypotheses dead can later be incorperated into the framework to provide a better model. Further more, often many discoveries and data, lead up blind allys.

Constantly turning up with one paper and declairing you were right all along about everything ever is as far from science and close to faith as you can get.

The hockey stick model of Mann et al has been amended to take onboard some of the criticism of McIntyre and McKitrick et al. And do declair as an article of faith that the hockey stick is dead is simple minded faith not science the general conclusions have been reached by several research groups independently. Because on paper criticised Mann et al for there methodology does not make the general conclusions wrong but opens them to debate. Nor does it make Mann a fraud. This is gross slander without any evidence.
bigfish said:
The BBC is the British State's personal propaganda megaphone, witness their performance during the invasion of Iraq, for example.
And yet many anti war campainers regarded the BBC as being the most anti war out of BBC Sky and ITV, and certaily compaired to ABC, CBS, CNN, Fox or MSNBC and so on.
bigfish said:
New Scientist has been shilling for "manmade global warming" since the get go, just like the BBC.
Not to mention the "gas sun model". No psuedoscience is to far for them.

bigfish said:
Michael Mann's hockey stick study was not able to withstand theoretical criticism and has been comprehensively demolished... but you wont read that on the BBC website.
Your idea of comprahnsively demolished differs from the US National Research Council.

http://www8.nationalacademies.org/onpinews/newsitem.aspx?RecordID=11676
Lie machine? Frauds? Shills? Psuedoscientists..... I await your criticism of this body.

david dissadent said:
.... Where you fail badly on science is to believe that a published paper challanging elements of a hypotheses or theory automaticaly invalidate it, if it agrees with your expected outcome.

But isn't that precisely your position with regard to Michael Mann's infamous hockey stick study? Prior to its miraculous appearance, the generally accepted view of global temperature over the Holocene was that the Medieval Warm Period and the Little Ice Age really did exist. In fact, there are more than one hundred published peer reviewed papers that document the existence of the MWP from about 900AD to 1400AD in Europe, North America, South America, Asia, Australia, New Zealand and Africa including South Africa. Perhaps you can explain how it came to pass that a single paper, the product of a young and relative novice to the field, managed to overturn the whole of the prevailing scientific paradigm as developed and enunciated by the founding fathers of climatology?

Constantly turning up with one paper and declairing you were right all along about everything ever is as far from science and close to faith as you can get.

Yes, I completely agree with you, david, but that's precisely what happened with Mann's hockey stick, no?

david dissadent said:
And yet many anti war campainers regarded the BBC as being the most anti war out of BBC Sky and ITV, and certaily compaired to ABC, CBS, CNN, Fox or MSNBC and so on.

Which anti war campaigners were those then? Can you back up your claim with something a little more substantive than mere verbiage?

Here's an example of what I mean:

Biased broadcasting corporation

A survey of the main broadcasters' coverage of the invasion of Iraq shows the claim that the BBC was anti-war is the opposite of the truth

Among its findings were:

* The BBC was the least likely to quote official Iraqi sources, and less likely than Sky, ITV or Channel 4 News to use independent sources of news such as the Red Cross. Channel 4 used these sources three times more often than the BBC, and Sky twice as often.

* Across all four broadcasters, the bulletins were three times more likely to present the Iraqi population as pro-invasion than anti-invasion. The exception to the ratio was Channel 4, where it was just less than two to one.

Indeed, far from revealing an anti-war BBC, our findings tend to give credence to those who criticised the BBC for being too sympathetic to the government in its war coverage. Either way, it is clear that the accusation of BBC anti-war bias fails to stand up to any serious or sustained analysis.

· Professor Justin Lewis is deputy head of Cardiff University's school of journalism

http://media.guardian.co.uk/print/0,3858,4705363-111303,00.html

The Daily Telegraph was gung ho about the invasion of Iraq too. What's their stance on global warming been like?

The Bush government was extremely gung ho about the invasion of Iraq - they made it happen. What's their stance on global warming been like?

bigfish said:
managed to overturn the whole of the prevailing scientific paradigm as developed and enunciated by the founding fathers of climatology?

Are you saying there was great confidence in some earlier version of mwp?

After all there's no instrumental records that far back - we're talking about proxy evidence here, which surely we must have got better at finding and analysing. How many attempts have there been at the global mean T that far back exactly?

I mean you contrarian types are often busy attacking modern measurements which we have direct instrumental records for and here you are implying high confidence in early work with PROXY evidence like tree-rings etc. It's a bit rich.

bigfish said:
Mr Justice Burton does not agree with you. His judgement is available here:

http://www.bailii.org/ew/cases/EWHC/Admin/2007/2288.html

OK Bigfish, I am still trying to work out whether you are just a time-waster so I will accept that you have misunderstood my original post that you quoted.

The website of the New Party that you cut and pasted from said something like (from memory) - "the Claimants evidence was that the ocean conveyer theory was wrong...etc".

My point? - I could file an affadavit in support of a writ today at the High Court stating that the Earth is flat and black is white. It would all be "Claimant's evidence", the fact is it's also obvious bollocks.

So Mr Justice Burton does not disagree with me - my point was to do with obviously tendencious reporting of the case by the NP.

Interestingly though, Mr Justice Burton does down the ocean conveyor claim made by Al Gore. And for why? And on what authority pray? - Why it's the IPCC. So you are relying on IPCC evidence here. How can you pick just one little bit of it and believe that whilst rejecting the rest? (I don't say this is impossible of course, merely that you'd better have some credible reasons)

Also Bigfish, if you think Mr Justice Burton is an authority here, what do you make of his finding (in the link you helpfully posted) that;

"I turn to AIT, the film. The following is clear:

i) It is substantially founded upon scientific research and fact, albeit that the science is used, in the hands of a talented politician and communicator, to make a political statement and to support a political programme.

ii) As Mr Chamberlain persuasively sets out at paragraph 11 of his skeleton:

"The Film advances four main scientific hypotheses, each of which is very well supported by research published in respected, peer-reviewed journals and accords with the latest conclusions of the IPCC:
(1) global average temperatures have been rising significantly over the past half century and are likely to continue to rise ("climate change");
(2) climate change is mainly attributable to man-made emissions of carbon dioxide, methane and nitrous oxide ("greenhouse gases");
(3) climate change will, if unchecked, have significant adverse effects on the world and its populations; and
(4) there are measures which individuals and governments can take which will help to reduce climate change or mitigate its effects."
These propositions, Mr Chamberlain submits (and I accept), are supported by a vast quantity of research published in peer-reviewed journals worldwide and by the great majority of the world's climate scientists. Ms Bramman explains, at paragraph 14 of her witness statement, that:

"The position is that the central scientific theme of Al Gore's Film is now accepted by the overwhelming majority of the world's scientific community. That consensus is reflected in the recent report of the IPCC. The role of the IPCC is to assess on a comprehensive, objective, open and transparent basis the scientific, technical and socio-economic information relevant to understanding the scientific basis of risk of human-induced climate change, its potential impacts and options and adaptation and mitigation. Hundreds of experts from all over the world contribute to the preparation of IPCC reports, including the Working Group I report on Climate Change 2007: The physical Science basis of climate change, published on 2 February 2007 and the most recent Mitigation of Climate Change, the Summary for Policy-makers published by Working Group III on 4 May 2007. A copy of both documents are annexed to the Witness Statement of Dr Peter Stott. The weight of scientific evidence set out by the IPCC confirms that most of the global average warming over the last 50 years is now regarded as "very likely" to be attributable to man-made greenhouse gas emissions."
For the purposes of this hearing Mr Downes was prepared to accept that the IPCC Fourth Assessment Report represented the present scientific consensus."

Again I am curious as to what allows you to cherry pick elements of this judgement and leave out the massive substantive finding that the Judge has accepted the IPCC take on climate change.

I should just add that "Mr Downes" in the quote above is counsel for the Claimant (ie the New Party/Dimmock) and "Mr Chamberlain" counsel for the DES/DCSF. In other words both counsel accept the IPCC report as - well, if not true - then "the present scientific consensus"; ie true in effect.

bigfish said:

You need to look up what 'straw man' means, weird one. It is your frothing-mouthed tangent on the BBC which is of no relevance. Lest we forget, what got you started on this was the BBC faithfully reporting a press release from the Danish National Space Center.

Back
Top Bottom