Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Cool towns in Spain (that aren't Madrid/Granada/Barcelona)...

Malaga. It is more cosmopolitan than many Andalucian towns. It's more expensive than most but still very cheap by UK standards, except at the marina.

Went back there for the first time in 10 or 11 years this summer. They've managed to really jam the bars/restaurants on the front now haven't they? Last time I was there, the road between the beach and the bars was visible from the beach - now there's a solid line of restaurants the full length of the beach. Each with their own chunk of sand with those big 4-poster sunbeds in front. Looks like the rest of the coast further south now; Torremolinos, Fuengirola etc.

I don't know if this counts as it's not on the mainland, but we visited Palma this summer. Amazing view of the cathedral right by the sea, an ancient Arab bath with a lovely garden, some attractive Art Nouveau buildings and some decent bars. Definitely worth a trip if you in Mallorca.

I'm going to have to put Sitges on the list also.

It's a very glam, abfab little seaside town. Very gay also. Carnival is absolute craziness. I don't know why I like it so much, but I like it much. It's sort of just about hanging on to respectability as a fashion scene, but promising to go way too far anytime soon. Cool as fuck IMO. Very real at the same time as being so far up it's own arse the sun may stop shining.

Beach after beach after beach. Two main promenades on either side of the very picturesque church. Couple of seafront restaurants display my very fine art work on their walls.

It sort of evokes a feeling of real glam without any pretention. You know there are no film stars around, but can imagine this is where they would be if they had any sense. Fascinating little town. Love it.

Very well described , I have lost count of how many times I have partied in Sitges , several times a year for the last 25 years , it somehow has always stayed the right side of pretentious , should you want to buy Versace swimming trunks you could choose from half a dozen shops BUT the beautiful underbelly of Sitges offers so much opportunity to have fun and mostly locally instigated , it is not just a holiday resort but a loving breathing spanish town , I love it . Live music every night if you know where to look and the home of the Original Pacha and in spite of the Glam appearance if you know where to wine and dine it is cheap . Just booked carnival in Feb , £56 return from Stansted .

Very well described , I have lost count of how many times I have partied in Sitges , several times a year for the last 25 years , it somehow has always stayed the right side of pretentious , should you want to buy Versace swimming trunks you could choose from half a dozen shops BUT the beautiful underbelly of Sitges offers so much opportunity to have fun and mostly locally instigated , it is not just a holiday resort but a loving breathing spanish town , I love it . Live music every night if you know where to look and the home of the Original Pacha and in spite of the Glam appearance if you know where to wine and dine it is cheap . Just booked carnival in Feb , £56 return from Stansted .
Was there in the summer as a family destination, it was also brilliant for that. Friendly, loads of excellent places to eat, beaches, and close to Barcelona on the train, Recommended.

Córdoba The cathedral inside a Mosque

IMG_1681%20899%20CORDOBA_zpsendi9sae.jpg

inside the Cathedral arches open into the surrounding mosque

IMG_1618_stitch_zpstzsvxsuq.jpg

IMG_1604%20899%20INSIDE_zpsid5y5egh.jpg

IMG_1595_zpscloiloot.jpg

IMG_1604%20899%20INSIDE_zpsid5y5egh.jpg

play of light from the stained glass windows running into the mosque
IMG_1597%20899_zpsofsmebv9.jpg

Just had a fantastic few days in Cadiz and Jerez.

Had never been Jerez before but it was wicked. Cádiz i know very well but always go back, I just love the place, probs my fav place in Andalucía to visit...

I found Malaga pretty dull tbh. I went back after 20yrs and actually didn't recognise alot it with so much recent construction. :eek:

Ronda was ace :cool: It's a great base from which to explore and you can come back each evening to a relaxing sunset on the terrace :

rondas-spectacular-sunset-with-the-with-the-22new-bridge22-ronda-provence-of-malaga-andalusia-spain-image-id-194308172-1425053586-axom-1457441107-Sqm7.jpg

I loved Cordoba too and would like to visit Cadiz & Jerez too. It's so easy to get around on the train or cheap buses.

They say it's all gone now. It was just two days of freaky rain and all the water running down to the sea.
There's been some very odd weather along the coast recently. There's been water spouts, flooding, incredibly heavy rain. We're pretty much back to normal now.

Back
Top Bottom