Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Cooker installation - capped off gas pipe and other considerations

Epona

Sonic: 1 Nov 2006 - 8 Jan 2022
I have a capped off gas pipe in my kitchen, does anyone have any idea what it would cost to get a valve fitted for a dual fuel cooker (ie a gas hob)?

Next question, is this something that is considered normal installation for a retailer (like ao) as part of their installation, or would I need to get a certified gas engineer to uncap the pipe and fit a valve before delivery and installation of a cooker?

I have a capped off gas pipe in my kitchen, does anyone have any idea what it would cost to get a valve fitted for a dual fuel cooker (ie a gas hob)?

Next question, is this something that is considered normal installation for a retailer (like ao) as part of their installation, or would I need to get a certified gas engineer to uncap the pipe and fit a valve before delivery and installation of a cooker?

AO managed to bodge up connecting a dishwasher to the water pipe resulting in a flood so doubt I'd trust them for gas.......

AO managed to bodge up connecting a dishwasher to the water pipe resulting in a flood so doubt I'd trust them for gas.......

OK I have bought stuff from them before but not with installation.

Any idea what it would cost to get a valve fitted to my capped off pipe?

I hate trying to organise stuff like this, trying to co-ordinate it all makes my brain hurt

According to that AO’s installers are gas safe, so in theory there’s no reason why they couldn’t modify the pipe work. They’d probably charge extra though, so it might work out cheaper to just get them to deliver then get a local engineer to modify and install. It’s probably a couple of hours work max.

Yes thank you I am fully aware of that, that wasn't my question, I am not going near the fucking thing myself!! That wasn't what I asked.
It will depend who you buy through but most people that can sign it off won't be humping around white goods to stop from getting bored. Is a piece of piss though. (though only pissed about with gs on a boat that wasn't residential)

I got the heating engineer who fixed my not tall enough to meet regulations oven gas pipe to connect up my new oven afterward I bought it from AO- sir do D it as a private job and it cost £80.
Same to disconnect the old one a while before.

To disconnect and then connect a new oven it's £100. That's without the pipe changes though.

If you own your property, get a gas safe registered (NOT corgi!!!!) engineer to come out and sort the pipe , if you're in social or private housing, then your landlord should do any work to make it connection safe; whether or not you have to pay for connection will depend on your contract etc.

Afaik.

Sorry if I've got the wrong end of any sticks :oops:

OK I have bought stuff from them before but not with installation.

Any idea what it would cost to get a valve fitted to my capped off pipe?

I hate trying to organise stuff like this, trying to co-ordinate it all makes my brain hurt
A value if you want to add one costs about £5 the connector hose costs between 15-20

It will depend who you buy through but most people that can sign it off won't be humping around white goods to stop from getting bored. Is a piece of piss though. (though only pissed about with gs on a boat that wasn't residential)

Aye but I also know that plenty of folks can be certified to do things but don't necessarily want to work for themselves or run a small business so end up working for large companies. Just because it is potentially possible to make more money going freelance doesn't mean everyone wants to or is able to do so.

Also does anyone know anything about cooker hood/extractor installation? We don't have one at all currently, and it would be a massive benefit to get one installed - it makes a massive difference to condensation and grease buildup.

As we don't currently have one, what would be involved in getting one installed?

Also does anyone know anything about cooker hood/extractor installation? We don't have one at all currently, and it would be a massive benefit to get one installed - it makes a massive difference to condensation and grease buildup.

As we don't currently have one, what would be involved in getting one installed?

Depends where it would vent to. Is it in an outside wall or would you need some ducting. Ours was fitted by an electrician who drilled the big hole himself.

Depends where it would vent to. Is it in an outside wall or would you need some ducting. Ours was fitted by an electrician who drilled the big hole himself.

Thankfully because of the way our block is designed, our kitchen has plenty of wall space that is external! So technically it could be fitted right over where the cooker currently is without additional ducting. The council can't possibly object to that, right? (I'm a leaseholder)

Thankfully because of the way our block is designed, our kitchen has plenty of wall space that is external! So technically it could be fitted right over where the cooker currently is without additional ducting. The council can't possibly object to that, right? (I'm a leaseholder)

Sounds like an easy fit. You can get folding external grills which can be fitted through the hole, which are useful if you’re on a higher floor.

You probably need to ask the leaseholder for permission, but in most cases it’s not something they’d be able to unreasonably refuse. I guess the external wall probably has quite a few bathroom/boiler/kitchen vents already.

Aye the external wall already has my own gas boiler flue and similar from all the downstairs flats - they are all tenants though so everything of theirs was installed by the council.

I think I'll just have to end up going without a cooker hood, the likelihood of me getting a response from the council giving permission before I am dead of old age is between slim and no chance.

Also I haven't paid my service charges for 2 years so am not about to go and poke the bear.

You could install a recirculating one that doesn’t need an outside vent. Useless for steam but could do a decent job with grease if it has good filters.

Back
Top Bottom