Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Control your Xbox with iPhone with the updated My Xbox LIVE app

Kid_Eternity

Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
Nice! The beginning of SmartGlass roll I see...:D

screen-shot-2012-06-13-at-1-54-12-pm.png

Microsoft just updated its My Xbox LIVE app to include functionality for controlling content on your Xbox from your iPhone. The app which previously let you access Xbox LIVE achievements, connect with friends, and change your 3D avatar, now lets iPhone users “connect, control and discover content” from their console through a number of new features including a remote with “play, pause, fast forward and rewind”.

Earlier this month Microsoft previewed a new AirPlay-like wireless streaming app called “SmartGlass” that will allow users to share video content from their mobile devices (iOS included) with their Xbox. The previewed app will also include integration with Xbox games, but Microsoft only mentioned Windows 8 support for those features.

A full list of new features in version 1.5 of the My Xbox LIVE app is below:

What’s New in Version 1.5

iPhone:

• Use your iPhone with your Xbox to connect, control and discover content on your console. Connect your iPhone for access to a quick list of your most recent console activity. Control your content with play, pause, fast forward and rewind media controls. Find fresh entertainment to play in the new Discover section.

Interesting. I'll give this a try next time I'm watching a video, will saving switching a controller on or waving at the kinect :D

How annoying, if I search for it on my ipad I only get the ipad one which doesn't have the content controls. And if I want to message someone from it, which would be ten million times better than the stupid onscreen keyboard then I have to have Gold. You don't need Gold to message someone straight from the Xbox.

My mate has the windows phone app equivalent and says it's shit compared to the android one.

which would be ten million times better than the stupid onscreen keyboard

That keyboard is ridiculous. They go to the effort of having motion, voice and facial recognition and then you end up with a big line of letters. Even a phone style pad or if the letters were placed like a keyboard would be loads better. We use a usb keyboard instead.

You can get a messenger keyboard which plugs into the bottom of controllers....

One of the first accessories that came out for it iirc.

You can get a messenger keyboard which plugs into the bottom of controllers....

One of the first accessories that came out for it iirc.

I've never seen those until just!
£20 though, when you can get a full sized one for a fiver :hmm:

I've never seen those until just!
£20 though, when you can get a full sized one for a fiver :hmm:

Yeah, I got one for my daughter and it's really good but I don't really message enough to warrant having my own. I just thought I could use the Xbox app on my ipad but of course you have to pay extra.

How annoying, if I search for it on my ipad I only get the ipad one which doesn't have the content controls. And if I want to message someone from it, which would be ten million times better than the stupid onscreen keyboard then I have to have Gold. You don't need Gold to message someone straight from the Xbox.

Odd. I use my iPhone to message people in game while playing. Did have the chatpad couple years back but found the bulk and weight it added not very good...

Back
Top Bottom