Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Combermere Road, Brixton

jamerin

Hi

In the 1980's I knew someone who lived at 32 Combermere Road (near the Marquis of Lorne).

I found the house fascinating because it had obviously been modified extensively over the years.
The surrounding houses were a peculiar mixture too.

Does anyone know of a written history of that area?

james

Hi

In the 1980's I knew someone who lived at 32 Combermere Road (near the Marquis of Lorne).

I found the house fascinating because it had obviously been modified extensively over the years.
The surrounding houses were a peculiar mixture too.

Does anyone know of a written history of that area?

james
Dunno if this Lambeth conservation area appraisal helps you https://www.lambeth.gov.uk/sites/default/files/pl-stockwell-green-CA-appraisal-2016.pdf

Only one property in Combermere Road is in the conservation area, but there is some info nevertheless.

Dunno if this Lambeth conservation area appraisal helps you https://www.lambeth.gov.uk/sites/default/files/pl-stockwell-green-CA-appraisal-2016.pdf

Only one property in Combermere Road is in the conservation area, but there is some info nevertheless.

Thank you. That is an interesting document in itself.

I only lived in South London for about a year (Tulse Hill) but it holds many good memories for me. Revisited around the year 2000 and got completely lost, of course, even though it still felt like a kind of home.

The house in Combermere was also interesting because (I'm told) it was run as a meeting place for (how to put this...) groups of consenting adults. Who knows what goes on behind suburban shutters on quiet afternoons :) It did have the advantage of having no immediately adjoining neighbours, though google maps now shows a new build next door.

Any further information on the location much appreciated...

j

Thank you. That is an interesting document in itself.

I only lived in South London for about a year (Tulse Hill) but it holds many good memories for me. Revisited around the year 2000 and got completely lost, of course, even though it still felt like a kind of home.

The house in Combermere was also interesting because (I'm told) it was run as a meeting place for (how to put this...) groups of consenting adults. Who knows what goes on behind suburban shutters on quiet afternoons :) It did have the advantage of having no immediately adjoining neighbours, though google maps now shows a new build next door.

Any further information on the location much appreciated...

j
This council photo is dated 1968 https://boroughphotos.org/lambeth/combermere-road-brixton/
Lambeth10410-1024x690.jpg

However I sense that you are seeking social history. Indeed if I may make so bold, did you have in mind the social mores depicted in the notorious and controversial novel and BBC series Tropic of Ruislip? Tropic of Ruislip - Wikipedia

There are threads on Urban dealing with such matters - though not necessarily covering wife-swapping: eg The Brixton Fairies: 1970s gay squat

This council photo is dated 1968 https://boroughphotos.org/lambeth/combermere-road-brixton/
View attachment 287217

However I sense that you are seeking social history. Indeed if I may make so bold, did you have in mind the social mores depicted in the notorious and controversial novel and BBC series Tropic of Ruislip? Tropic of Ruislip - Wikipedia

There are threads on Urban dealing with such matters - though not necessarily covering wife-swapping: eg The Brixton Fairies: 1970s gay squat

Lovely photo, thanks. I grew up in very similar housing at a similar time (but in Bradford :))

I think I'd find any history of the area interesting - the explosive growth of the Victorian suburbs speaks to this confirmed city dweller. The social mores of my own lifetime are also fascinating, (especially since I can't believe in the idea of social progress, instead considering that people are by-and-large equally horrible in different times, only in kaleidoscopically different ways :)).

You know, I'd almost completely forgotten that wife-swapping actually existed! So 1970s, like the Milk Tray Man.

I think I'm probably really seeking stories of individual lives. I follow the conceit that a house that looks different from its neighbours, and is indeed physically separated from them, must necessarily have attracted unusual people and events. This is, of course, a romantic and literary notion that is not true in reality unless, as with the Brixton Fairies, some vivid people shaped their surroundings in some lasting or echoing way.

maps from varying eras can be found here (link to 1895 OS, but you can select other maps as well)

bit more about Waltham Bros brewery here

chunk of 1896 London Suburbs directory (these are public domain on Leicester University website, but it's a bit long winded to search) - generally, individual householders weren't listed except in the posher bits of town

1631041614067.png

doesn't mention the brewery, which was postally on Stockwell Green.

Reactions: CH1
Reactions: CH1
Lovely photo, thanks. I grew up in very similar housing at a similar time (but in Bradford :))

I think I'd find any history of the area interesting - the explosive growth of the Victorian suburbs speaks to this confirmed city dweller. The social mores of my own lifetime are also fascinating, (especially since I can't believe in the idea of social progress, instead considering that people are by-and-large equally horrible in different times, only in kaleidoscopically different ways :)).

You know, I'd almost completely forgotten that wife-swapping actually existed! So 1970s, like the Milk Tray Man.

I think I'm probably really seeking stories of individual lives. I follow the conceit that a house that looks different from its neighbours, and is indeed physically separated from them, must necessarily have attracted unusual people and events. This is, of course, a romantic and literary notion that is not true in reality unless, as with the Brixton Fairies, some vivid people shaped their surroundings in some lasting or echoing way.
This photo has added details below

There is another council one here https://boroughphotos.org/lambeth/combermere-road-stockwell/

With regard to oral history or info such as Puddy_Tat has unearthered, you may have to put yourself out - either diligent online research, or if you come to the area at all seeing if any Marquis regulars have reminiscences perhaps.

The only local street where residents have done detailed history studies is Loughborough Road - not near Combermere unfortunately for you

This sort of project takes hours of voluntary work by people who have the commitment.

maps from varying eras can be found here (link to 1895 OS, but you can select other maps as well)

bit more about Waltham Bros brewery here

chunk of 1896 London Suburbs directory (these are public domain on Leicester University website, but it's a bit long winded to search) - generally, individual householders weren't listed except in the posher bits of town

View attachment 287269

doesn't mention the brewery, which was postally on Stockwell Green.

Thank you Puddy_Tat, these seem very useful resources.

As you can probably guess, I come to this as an absolute beginner. I'm actually quite amazed that records of the (not so) distant past still exist and are accessible to the general public. My wife has done some exploration of her family tree but I didn't know that a neighbourhood could be examined in a similar way.

The list of professions is intriguing. The house I was asking about has an embedded entrance to some sort of courtyard at the back (I never went there). I'm guessing this could have held a workshop of some kind. I wonder what it was, sandwiched there inbetween other peoples' back gardens.

This photo has added details below

There is another council one here https://boroughphotos.org/lambeth/combermere-road-stockwell/

With regard to oral history or info such as Puddy_Tat has unearthered, you may have to put yourself out - either diligent online research, or if you come to the area at all seeing if any Marquis regulars have reminiscences perhaps.

The only local street where residents have done detailed history studies is Loughborough Road - not near Combermere unfortunately for you

This sort of project takes hours of voluntary work by people who have the commitment.

Thank you again, CH1.

Yes, I can see that a lot of work could be involved in tracing the relevant history. I'll have to investigate how others have done it, so the Loughborough Road project will be an encouragement and an example. Do you know of anyone who blogs this kind of thing?

Do you think there are such people as Marquis long-time regulars? From a quick look at Zoopla the house has been sold multiple times since I knew it, so I was guessing that it's all buy-to-let landlords and a transient tenant population in the area.

The list of professions is intriguing.

Usually, where they list a trade, then that means the trade was carried out from that address - some of the buildings look like they could have been small shops at one point in time (some elsewhere are a lot more obvious)

Dyos - "Camberwell a study of a Victorian suburb" (1966) - was a trendsetter and quite a rare and splendid book , plus of course the magnificent Alan A Jackson on "Semi-detached London" , - probably my favourite book of the many I own. And I mean , many.

Usually, where they list a trade, then that means the trade was carried out from that address - some of the buildings look like they could have been small shops at one point in time (some elsewhere are a lot more obvious)

Thank you. I will see what I can discover :)

Dyos - "Camberwell a study of a Victorian suburb" (1966) - was a trendsetter and quite a rare and splendid book , plus of course the magnificent Alan A Jackson on "Semi-detached London" , - probably my favourite book of the many I own. And I mean , many.

Thank you. Both pricey, but available at archive.org as well. They seem very readable and I look forward to enjoying them.

Back
Top Bottom