Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Coldharbour Lane, Brixton - news and updates

editor

hiraethified
There's so much change going on in Coldharbour Lane right now, I figured it was worth having a thread just to keep track of it all.

joy-queer-centre-brixton-4.jpg

At the top, Joy is still being squatted although I haven't seen much activity there recently.

coldharbour.jpg

Seven have expanded their empire with a new trendy foodie/wine bar with a particularly hideous metal grilled shop front. Don't think you can just pop in though: when I went past, there was a bloke with a clipboard controlling the social media informed queue.

coldharbour-lane-pop-up-1.jpg

The old Granada Cars is still plastered in adverts for a Pop Up shop although posh chain Rosa’s Thai Cafe has been reporting as being expanding their empire there.

walton-lodge-steam-laundry-brixton-01.jpg

There's still some debate as to who will be taking over the Walton Lodge building.

In Brixton Square, the award-winning visual effects company Jellyfish Pictures are moving in soon, while the Angel pub still has a for rent sign outside it. The units look finished at the back but I've seen no activity.

My Fathers Place is having some kind of clear out, while the old solicitor's office is being converted in to flats at the back.

Finally, the old Domino Club will soon be operating as a soup kitchen.

I'm sure I've missed loads of other things (there's more B BUzz stories here), so please add your own news!

Was in the Phoenix today. Confirmed they're staying in their new location and the old building is being knocked down or renovated. With buildings either side of them being demolished, I went to see Bookmongers who said they were safe.

while the Angel pub still has a for rent sign outside it. The units look finished at the back but I've seen no activity.
There's definitely people living there - I see them going in and out every now and then - but how they got in there in the first place when the units never appeared to be advertised for sale remains a mystery...

There's definitely people living there - I see them going in and out every now and then - but how they got in there in the first place when the units never appeared to be advertised for sale remains a mystery...

Lexadon don't sell properties, they are strictly in the business of private rentals......

Reactions: CH1
Yes there's people living above but I was referring to the old pub.

Elsewhere, the interior of Blacker Dread has been gutted.

Was in the Phoenix today. Confirmed they're staying in their new location and the old building is being knocked down or renovated.
That's a real shame because the new premises have none of the charm of the old, and a lot of regulars I know have given up completely on the super-shiny hospital-canteen allure of the nu-Phoenix.

Not been to Pheonix since it moved. Actually the one time I did try and go, it was closed (seems to be a running theme for me at the mo).

I do miss the old interior but if the food is the same, I'm happy

The food in The Pheonix was way over rated ime. Slightly better white bread for toast and slightly better coffee than the usual caff fare had people inexplicably raving. Great decor though.

The food in The Pheonix was way over rated ime. Slightly better white bread for toast and slightly better coffee than the usual caff fare had people inexplicably raving. Great decor though.
The toast was exceptional and the toasted halloumi salad sandwich remains one of the finest snacks I've ever eaten in Brixton.

The toast was exceptional and the toasted halloumi salad sandwich remains one of the finest snacks I've ever eaten in Brixton.

I'm not a hater of the new place but the toast served with my last fry there was thin sliced - perhaps even from a bag. I'm trusting that it was an "accident".
Also, the bubble'n'squeak has been replaced by a hash brown. That's just not cricket.

Do they still serve the same haloumi sandwich or has the menu changed as well ??

I'm not a hater of the new place but the toast served with my last fry there was thin sliced - perhaps even from a bag. I'm trusting that it was an "accident".
Also, the bubble'n'squeak has been replaced by a hash brown. That's just not cricket.
Oh, I don't hate it - it's just that I get better food* for - literally - half the price at Sam's.

*Except the toasted halloumi salad sandwich.

Probably worth mentioning that Granada Cars have just moved a bit to the corner of Coldharbour Lane & Atlantic Road. Took me a min to find them when I was looking a while ago. I admit this may not be news to many people, but it was to me.

The chip shop on Coldharbour Lane that was Jimmy's. Then was named something else. Is now Jimmy's again. My bit of useless information there lol. :D:thumbs:

Here's something I never knew: there's a saucy sex toy company operating right opposite the Barrier Block at 322 Coldharbour Lane!
It is very discreet. May I ask how you stumbled across it? ;)
It's the Brixton Cake shop - or above it or behind it. I wonder if they can supply cake and jellies in the manner of La Grande Bouffe?
La_Grande_Bouffe.jpg

Back
Top Bottom