Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Coen Brothers general thread

PR1Berske

Alligator in chains by the park gates.
Inspired by recent posts in the "films you've walked out of" thread.

There are individual film threads but why not bring it all together.

I love Fargo, and Big Lebowski. I think I've mentioned before that Hail Caesar was a real struggle, though not a walk out. They've not been on form for a while, in my opinion, sinewaving up and down the quality scale.

What do we think?

Burn After Reading & Intolerable Cruelty were both fairly meh - by their standards anyway.

In fact none of their films after Burn have been truly great, they've all got their moments and things to admire and enjoy, but they are nothing like as bold and interesting as their earlier stuff. Still, when your earlier stuff was that good, who cares?

Relatedly, this is a role-playing game that explicitly references Cohenesque storytelling. It's fun with a small group of nerdy mates :thumbs:

20230908_181305.jpg

I like these films, so much it's hard to choose a favourite. Possibly O Brother Where Art Thou for the soundtrack or Millers Crossing for the tension, No Country for Old Men for the photography.

Blood simple and fargo are currently free to watch on freevee (amazon).
Maybe more. I know also watched miller's crossing quite recently.

Burn After Reading got panned but I liked it quite well, it's got some really funny moments.
the guy who plays the CIA boss does lots of commercials over here and i had never seen him in a movie and he was good so that added.

I liked the first nine best, though also enjoyed Burn After Reading, True Grit, NCFOM and Hail Caesar to some degree. Fell asleep early on in Buster Scruggs so can't offer an honest opinion. Not seen the other four. Crimewave I loved and would slot it in with the others at the start for a perfect 10.

I liked the first nine best, though also enjoyed Burn After Reading, True Grit, NCFOM and Hail Caesar to some degree. Fell asleep early on in Buster Scruggs so can't offer an honest opinion. Not seen the other four. Crimewave I loved and would slot it in with the others at the start for a perfect 10.
Did they not just do the first bit in Buster Scruggs? Maybe not, maybe that's the only bit I liked.
I wish the whole film was actually just the ballard of Buster Scruggs.

I also wish they didn't just keep killing people off. Quite a shock once or twice, and nice to see viewer expectations subverted one way or another, but is it a bit depressing? I'm torn. I prefer stuff like A Simple Man.

Did they not just do the first bit in Buster Scruggs? Maybe not, maybe that's the only bit I liked.
No, they did the lot. Just checked the six stories and I can only remember the first story & the gold prospecting one properly. They got less and less memorable as they progressed.

The Coen brothers strike me as people who just get on with making films. I imagine the very morning after they've finished editing one, they go into the office and brainstorm an idea for the next one, and after about an hour they just go with the best idea they've had - or perhaps the very first idea they have - and then just crack on with writing it, no matter how good the idea really is. And sometimes they make something really great, and other times it's just watchable.

No, they did the lot. Just checked the six stories and I can only remember the first story & the gold prospecting one properly. They got less and less memorable as they progressed.
Yes that is my memory too. Less and less memorable. I loved Buster Scruggs. I could have watched a whole hour and a half of him just being great and not dying.

The Coen brothers strike me as people who just get on with making films. I imagine the very morning after they've finished editing one, they go into the office and brainstorm an idea for the next one, and after about an hour they just go with the best idea they've had - or perhaps the very first idea they have - and then just crack on with writing it, no matter how good the idea really is. And sometimes they make something really great, and other times it's just watchable.
I agree. And I think its a fab way to be able to approach film. Like writing a song. You just enjoy the one you are making and have fun with it. They are very lucky to be in that position without interference.
Everything they make is at least worth a watch. I've never not been engaged on some level, even if I don't come out loving the film overall in the end (Fargo)

Back
Top Bottom