Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Cod Reggae

This is fucking horrific :D

im missing the lyrics - did i hear Ethiopian Gwyn in there? :D something about Babylon?

only just hearing this Sinead reggae cover for this first time - vaguely remember hearing she had a reggae moment. I have to say i really like this. The whole album is reggae covers it seems. Going to check it

ETA: just looked on discogs, Sly and Robbie on this, and Dean Fraser on sax, amongst others

Has she done any other reggae records anyone know?

* a couple of tunes work on the album i think - Marcus Garvey, He Prayed and Y Mas Gan really suits her voice. Three tunes then, the rest less so. Singing a song of praise makes sense for her - singing Curly Locks doesnt

Last edited:
just heard this on the radio

"Johnny Reggae" is a 1971 novelty song[1] credited to The Piglets. The single cover states that it was "conceived, created, produced and directed by Jonathan King".[2] It was released on Bell Records.

King himself has explained in comments on his YouTube channel[3] and in his autobiography 65 My Life So Far that the vocalists were session singers "coached to sound like teenage scrubbers", and that the lead vocalist was session singer Barbara Kay, who also recorded as Kay Barry for Embassy Records.

The lead vocals have been at various times been incorrectly attributed to Adrienne Posta or Wendy Richard.

Last edited:
A substantial amount of awful, cod reggae here with a few good tunes in the mix

Irish Reggae & Ska : Recorded work (1960s-1980s)

1985's charidee cod abomination mercifully overlooked. Created by Paul Cleary I think. Sexy sax and cowbell and all.

Not read the whole thread, so don't know if we've already had this. Does it qualify as cod reggae if an original composition and they play it in their own style?

I've always quite liked it.

Last edited:
It's not really cod reggae because it's a cover of the Kingstonians (prod Derrick Harriott) but it is Three Dog night...

Actually, it's not that bad.:)

Never been able to decide if this is terrible or not.

I think have to go terrible.
A good example of how reggae is harder than it looks to get right
Think they were hanging out with Peter Tosh around that time.

Maybe thought they might as well give it a go...

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom