Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Cocteau Twins

For the first time in years (10, 20 maybe even closer to 30 years?) I've been listening to Garlands.

It's great. Like, really great.
Unrelated, but I had a similar experience with the Young Marble Giant's (1980) Colossal Youth recently.

Have lived without a record player for may years and recently got one for the long winter nights...first album I cleaned to put on was YMG...not sure I'd ever heard it as it was meant to sound (previous player = a Dansette). Thought it was great!

I would maybe say Victorialand.

I adore this LP. It has a very special place in my internal record collection becauuse I first heard it the very first time I took mushrooms. Afterwards I eagerly sought out their other stuff but nothing else quite hits the same spot for me. I always assumed that was down to the mushroom connection, but maybe even without the mushrooms, this would be my favourite CT LP.

I once sat in on a CT interview for one of the weekly inkies. When the journo later tried to transcribe the cassette he couldn’t make out what EF was saying. He called me in to help him try to remember what she’d said and in the end we basically made it up.

I adore this LP. It has a very special place in my internal record collection becauuse I first heard it the very first time I took mushrooms. Afterwards I eagerly sought out their other stuff but nothing else quite hits the same spot for me. I always assumed that was down to the mushroom connection, but maybe even without the mushrooms, this would be my favourite CT LP.

I once sat in on a CT interview for one of the weekly inkies. When the journo later tried to transcribe the cassette he couldn’t make out what EF was saying. He called me in to help him try to remember what she’d said and in the end we basically made it up.
playing now :thumbs:
futuristic, ancient and medieval all in one

just realised how funny this is :thumbs:

Unrelated, but I had a similar experience with the Young Marble Giant's (1980) Colossal Youth recently.

Have lived without a record player for may years and recently got one for the long winter nights...first album I cleaned to put on was YMG...not sure I'd ever heard it as it was meant to sound (previous player = a Dansette). Thought it was great!
I found this video of a 1982 Young Marble Giants show the other night, highly recommended. They were a remarkable band.

They've just reissued all their EPs on a couple of double CD compilations. The earliest stuff is very proto-goth. It's all pretty much gold though.

If you've never heard their cover of Frosty the Snowman, seek it out.

Last edited:
They did a great album with Harold Budd, The Moon and it's Melodies, which must be near the top of the ethereal scale? The lyrics are fairly easy to hear though, so I guess that removes points.

Back
Top Bottom