Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Chucky- 2021 TV series

T & P

|-o-| (-o-) |-o-|
Only one episode in, but thoroughly enjoyable so far. Well produced and a perfect mix of horror, comedy and drama with a slight Stranger Things look.

Strong recommendation based on the first episode, but don’t take my word for it anyway- very well received across the board so far

Only one episode in, but thoroughly enjoyable so far. Well produced and a perfect mix of horror, comedy and drama with a slight Stranger Things look.

Strong recommendation based on the first episode, but don’t take my word for it anyway- very well received across the board so far

Yes, this got surprisingly great reviews and it appears to be rather queer from what I read. I enjoyed some of the films, especially the last two (not the remake), not many horror franchise really hit their stride by film number 6 &7. I will binge this when done.

Half season update: certainly a solid recommendation for anyone who likes decent entertaining horror comedy escapism. Perfect weekend binging fodder :)

I’d considered giving it a shot, but did I hear that it was created for the ‘syfy’ network; or am I mistaken? That’s literally the only reason I havent yet - although I likely would have eventually regardless, but anyone familiar with ‘the syfy network’ and their output will understand that my hesitation was/is perfectly valid. lol. Unless I’m wrong about that, in which case I have no fucking clue where I got that from.

But seeing that Devon Sawa is in it made me really want to try it out. He was one of my favorite actors /in some of my favorite movies when I was a kid - Idle Hands, Final Destination, SLC Punk etc - and it’s honestly kind of eerie to see how much he’s aged. Not that he’s aged poorly - I wouldn’t know - but the last I’d remember seeing of him he still looked almost like a teenager, he was always a really young looking guy. I’d started following him on Twitter (rip my twitter account) recently, and he’s been raving about his new movie Black Friday, also starring Bruce Campbell, which I was pretty stoked about, so excitedly I gave it a watch the other night; and holy fuck man does it suck. harddd. one of the worst movies I’ve seen in a really, really long time.. Which makes me really sad to say, I wanted to be able to say ‘hey everybody remember Devon Sawa, give his new movie a shot it’s great!’ I want to say that. But alas it’s trash and I simply cannot. Bruce Campbell is this boring ass toy store manager who does fuck all and then kills himself for no reason near the end, too, fucking stupid/waste; so, if you liked Campbell in Evil Dead!

…you’ll wonder just who the fuck signed off on this!

I’d considered giving it a shot, but did I hear that it was created for the ‘syfy’ network; or am I mistaken? That’s literally the only reason I havent yet - although I likely would have eventually regardless, but anyone familiar with ‘the syfy network’ and their output will understand that my hesitation was/is perfectly valid. lol. Unless I’m wrong about that, in which case I have no fucking clue where I got that from.

But seeing that Devon Sawa is in it made me really want to try it out. He was one of my favorite actors /in some of my favorite movies when I was a kid - Idle Hands, Final Destination, SLC Punk etc - and it’s honestly kind of eerie to see how much he’s aged. Not that he’s aged poorly - I wouldn’t know - but the last I’d remember seeing of him he still looked almost like a teenager, he was always a really young looking guy. I’d started following him on Twitter (rip my twitter account) recently, and he’s been raving about his new movie Black Friday, also starring Bruce Campbell, which I was pretty stoked about, so excitedly I gave it a watch the other night; and holy fuck man does it suck. harddd. one of the worst movies I’ve seen in a really, really long time.. Which makes me really sad to say, I wanted to be able to say ‘hey everybody remember Devon Sawa, give his new movie a shot it’s great!’ I want to say that. But alas it’s trash and I simply cannot. Bruce Campbell is this boring ass toy store manager who does fuck all and then kills himself for no reason near the end, too, fucking stupid/waste; so, if you liked Campbell in Evil Dead!

…you’ll wonder just who the fuck signed off on this!
TV movies made by Syfy like the Sharknado and Asylum mockbuster rubbish, are usually very bad, their tv series on the other hand are often very good. Battlestar Galactica, The Expanse, Channel Zero and Resident Alien are among the best genre shows of the 21st century.

TV movies made by Syfy like the Sharknado and Asylum mockbuster rubbish, are usually very bad, their tv series on the other hand are often very good. Battlestar Galactica, The Expanse, Channel Zero and Resident Alien are among the best genre shows of the 21st century.

Ah, the only syfy television series ive seen anything of in (perhaps ever idk) was some zombie show iirc that I’d thought would be right up my alley, and I recall watching maybe half an episode before deciding it looked too much like something I should have assumed syfy would be putting out. Ie the production quality was total shit (again, iirc). I’ve only seen like one clip and several stills of the chucky show online but I admit it (seems like it looks) a lot better than something I’d have thought to be made by syfy; that’s why I was questioning/considering whether I could been wrong about which network was producing it, I guess.

I quite enjoyed the recent film remake, but I have no idea why a Chucky story would be required to be drawn out over a TV series. (I'm assuming it hits exactly the same beats as the films.)

I quite enjoyed the recent film remake, but I have no idea why a Chucky story would be required to be drawn out over a TV series. (I'm assuming it hits exactly the same beats as the films.)
Horror nerd-out ahead:

Nothing is required to be drawn out over a TV series but if it works, why question it ? Chucky/Child's Play is the rare horror franchise where its creator, (Don Mancini) retained creative control for the entire series. The films are hit and miss and the first two sequels play it safe, but eventually they go quite wild, with Mancini (an out gay man) bringing an increasingly queer- and meta sensibility to the films. Apart from Phantasm, it's the only long running, auteur driven horror franchise, (which is one reason why I didn't care for the Mancini-less, CGI-Chucky remake). The TV series is one of the best reviewed of the year, Mancini apparently had free reign and he decided it to centre it on a gay teenager coming to terms with his sexuality, who also has to deal with homicidal Chucky. Mancini can only get money for anything Chucky related, because that was his one big success, but within those limitations, he does everything he wants to do as a writer-director.

Ah, the only syfy television series ive seen anything of in (perhaps ever idk) was some zombie show iirc that I’d thought would be right up my alley, and I recall watching maybe half an episode before deciding it looked too much like something I should have assumed syfy would be putting out. Ie the production quality was total shit (again, iirc). I’ve only seen like one clip and several stills of the chucky show online but I admit it (seems like it looks) a lot better than something I’d have thought to be made by syfy; that’s why I was questioning/considering whether I could been wrong about which network was producing it, I guess.
I'm not saying all Syfy TV series are great, no TV channel has a 100% but don't discount this because its on Syfy. :)

I've never seen any of the films, but this thread makes this sound quite interesting. Where is it to be seen?

Unless it is only on Syfy tv. Other SyFy shows are on other platforms in the UK. The expanse on prime for example.

Probably wouldn't hurt to mention it again.
On my screen the answer is half an inch above your question. The Expanse is now on Amazon because after the first three seasons, Syfy cancelled the show and Amazon picked it up to produce seasons 4-6. Chucky consists of one season so far and it has not been cancelled. If in doubt, this type of thing is researchable within seconds via a search engine and/or wikipedia.

This is all for nought though, as you will probably hate the show anyway. :(

Last edited:
We’re watching it on Sky Max ATOMIC SUPLEX . It comes with our tv package. I would imagine it’s available to anyone with Now TV or a Sky subscription.

Anyway, enjoying it throughly as an entertainment vehicle. It works just as well as Cobra Kai works as a series spinoff of the Karate Kid films.

We’re watching it on Sky Max ATOMIC SUPLEX . It comes with our tv package. I would imagine it’s available to anyone with Now TV or a Sky subscription.

Anyway, enjoying it throughly as an entertainment vehicle. It works just as well as Cobra Kai works as a series spinoff of the Karate Kid films.
Ah OK, I will have to wait. I don't have sky or now.

I've watched some of it for work, and it definitely is a lot better than you'd expect. The kids seem way more like real modern kids than most shows portray - they even look their age, for the most part. The horror aspects are horrific but not actually that bad - and they fit the story. The characters are all totally 3 dimensional, including, bizarrely, Chucky, or who he used to be.

Also I like that it's advertised as a coming of rage story. :D

I'm 3 episodes in and I'm enjoying it too. Child's Play/Chucky has always been a daft premise and the show handles it with just the right mix of horror and comedy.

I'm 3 episodes in and I'm enjoying it too. Child's Play/Chucky has always been a daft premise and the show handles it with just the right mix of horror and comedy.
He does come up with some brilliant one-liners in this :D

Found it so boring. Switched off before the end of the first episode. that kid they caste as the main human character is just annoying. should have found someone else to play him.

Found it so boring. Switched off before the end of the first episode. that kid they caste as the main human character is just annoying. should have found someone else to play him.
Are you generally a fan of the original film(s)? If so you should definitely give it another chance. I have been known to abandon series after watching just the first episode, but only when the pace was too slow or I wasn’t so keen on the theme. This is fast paced and even if you find a few of the characters annoying, it really is about Chucky.

Fun fact: the actor playing Charles Lee "Chucky" Ray in the 80s flashbacks is Fiona Dourif, Brad Dourif's daughter who has also been playing the character Nica Pierce since Curse of Chucky.

Fun fact: the actor playing Charles Lee "Chucky" Ray in the 80s flashbacks is Fiona Dourif, Brad Dourif's daughter who has also been playing the character Nica Pierce since Curse of Chucky.
I was also pleased to see Jennifer Tilly back to reenact her character from the films. She hasn’t changed much at all either :D

Last edited:
It's good fun, though it becomes quite mythology heavy when several characters from the films start popping up by the middle of the season. I've rewatched the original Child's Play last night and it still holds up quite well. I may work my way through all the films over the holidays.

It's good fun, though it becomes quite mythology heavy when several characters from the films start popping up by the middle of the season. I've rewatched the original Child's Play last night and it still holds up quite well. I may work my way through all the films over the holidays.

Yeah, I'm 6 episodes in and much of the mythology stuff goes over my head. I get the reference to Bride of Chucky, but it still leaves me confused. On the plus side, some of that stuff has an almost bizarre Lynchian vibe.

The tv series got me to revisit all the Child's Play films and I'm just watching Seed of Chucky, which is the only one I'd never seen.

Back
Top Bottom