Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Cheshunt v Dulwich Hamlet - FA Trophy 3rd Qual, Sat 7th October 2023

AveryDave

Six changes to the starting line up from last week including debuts for Lakin and Ayuk.

Ruddy, Gyebi and Ekpiteta all absent from the squad after starting last week.

Returns for Dougui and Pingling on the bench.

Chaos continues to reign.

Last week we announced a new GK on the morning of the fixture, so Ruddy probably knew his days were numbered before ko.

Whether that contributed to his error for their second which sealed the 3 points for them we will never know.

This morning history repeats itself with Preston being announced - presumably he hasn't come back to sit on the bench, so Lakin is under pressure from the start.

Six changes to the starting line up from last week including debuts for Lakin and Ayuk.

Ruddy, Gyebi and Ekpiteta all absent from the squad after starting last week.

Returns for Dougui and Pingling on the bench.

Chaos continues to reign.

Reads to me like 7 defenders/defensive players + a goalkeeper… so everything on mills and Luke again….

Last week we announced a new GK on the morning of the fixture, so Ruddy probably knew his days were numbered before ko.

Whether that contributed to his error for their second which sealed the 3 points for them we will never know.

This morning history repeats itself with Preston being announced - presumably he hasn't come back to sit on the bench, so Lakin is under pressure from the start.
The article on the club website said Lakin had signed as injury cover for Constable.

The Edwards signing is a completely different matter, of course.

Interesting choice of background for the those score updates which appears to be the wallpaper from the Champion Hill boardroom. Hope that doesn’t turn out to be a metaphor that involves “papering” and “cracks”?

He looked good and so was the performance to be fair. Set off positively from the first whistle snd dominated the game. New goalie also looked good with some good saves and catches. Good to see smiles on the Dulwich faces at the end. Defimitely needed that. Goal was a surge in the box by Ayak and toe poke into far corner. Very enjoyable afternoon in the sun .

He looked good and so was the performance to be fair. Set off positively from the first whistle snd dominated the game. New goalie also looked good with some good saves and catches. Good to see smiles on the Dulwich faces at the end. Defimitely needed that. Goal was a surge in the box by Ayak and toe poke into far corner. Very enjoyable afternoon in the sun .
That sounds very encouraging, and I'll now go on Tuesday.

Next round is in 3 weeks (so the home league match with Potters Bar is off) and the following round 3 weeks after that, when we're scheduled to play Folkestone at home in a league match. Folkestone were knocked out today, so we're guaranteed a fixture on that date, one way or the other.

The defence played well today helped by a confident keeper. Also thought Bennett Johnson was excellent in midfield. Helped him having Ricketts next to him so a bit more freedom and broke up a lot of their attacks . Also good to see sub appearances for Dougui and Siklawi. Both look to have good talent. I saw Siklawi score that freekick thunderbolt against us for Tooting in the friendly and he was practising fks on his own when the other subz were playing keepy uppy. before rhe start. Most found the target. He had one near the end of tge game but just clipped off the top of the wall

One more thing. I was critical of the decision to keep Krasniqi on after last season. Completely different player this season. Looks the fittest in the squad after looking the unfittest last seasin. Even on our losing run he has never given up and encourages others. So fair plsy. Deserves his stsrting place .

Good work from I assume Kian to get an interview with Hayrettin up on the same day of the game.

Let’s hope the men’s management want to speak after all games, not just wins.

Max pics:
Dulwich Hamlet progress to the next round of the FA Trophy after narrow win at Cheshunt FC, Sat 7th Oct 2023

Dulwich Hamlet progress to the next round of the FA Trophy after narrow win at Cheshunt FC, Sat 7th Oct 2023

That was the first Hamlet match I've made it to in almost two years, as I live in Scotland now and rarely find myself in London at weekends. So basically my first game since Gavin Rose left.

A lot of unfamiliar faces for me but I thought Krasniqi looked a good player and Ayuk seemed to have a bit of drive about him.

Was surprised by how small the crowd was. Wouldn't we normally take more away fans to game like this one? Maybe it was influenced by the fact that it was the second trip there inside a week. Hats off to the small group of three or four who sung throughout the game.

This is maybe me being unfair but I have to admit I was a little shocked/disappointed by just how far we seem to have fallen, in terms of general footballing standards, since my days as a regular (which basically came to an end when Covid started). Obviously we've dropped down a division but to me it felt like a big drop in quality even since our days in the top half of the Isthmian when we had Carew, Kargbo, Clunis, Allassani etc. There just didn't seem to be much direction, leadership or quality about the team.

As I said, maybe I'm being unfair as it was just one game and it wasn't even a league game, but that was just the general impression I came away with.

Last edited:
^ Don't think that's unfair at all, the last 4(?) seasons in the Isthmian we were in playoffs/fighting for the title, this season we're already fighting to not fall into the drop zone. Clear gulf between those two teams.

In other news, first round has just been drawn for the FA trophy.

Lewes at home. Would love a cup run so hopefully home advantage will help, but Lewes look like they're doing alright this season.

This is maybe me being unfair but I have to admit I was a little shocked/disappointed by just how far we seem to have fallen, in terms of general footballing standards, since my days as a regular (which basically came to an end when Covid started). Obviously we've dropped down a division but to me it felt like a big drop in quality even since our days in the top half of the Isthmian when we had Carew, Kargbo, Clunis, Allassani etc. There just didn't seem to be much direction, leadership or quality about the team.

As I said, maybe I'm being unfair as it was just one game and it wasn't even a league game, but that was just the general impression I came away with.

The quality of football has been largely shocking since we went up to the NLS, with the occasional false dawn. Mills has been the only real bright spot, in terms of leadership and quality.

I am going on Saturday for the first time this season after moving away from London last year. I don't recognise any names in the teamsheet above, apart from Mills, Krasniqi and Chambers and Wanadio from previous spells at the club.

Four wins, three against sides playing with ten men for a large part of the game, the other against a side two levels below us. A squad that I believe (others may have the full facts) has utilised the most players at this stage of the season than any one in my memory. And that’s without the opportunity to call on a reserve or youth team. What was it Einstein allegedly said about doing the same thing over and over again?

Back
Top Bottom