Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

'Cheesegrater 2' skyscraper approved - 56 storeys in the City of London

editor

hiraethified
_102466305_capture.jpg

A new skyscraper dubbed Cheesegrater 2 will be built in the City of London despite opposition from nearby St Paul's Cathedral.

The 56-storey tower was approved by City of London Corporation planners and would be the third tallest building in the Square Mile financial district.

St Paul's Cathedral guardians raised fears new buildings were "chipping away" at London's heritage views.

The planning committee's chairman said he was "excited" by the design.

The building will stand in Leadenhall Street at 263.4m when completed by 2026, according to the Local Democracy Reporting Service.

Three buildings will be demolished on the street in order to make way for the new tower - which will have office space for more than 6,000 workers, the committee heard.

'Cheesegrater 2' City skyscraper approved

Fugus Uglius Maximus.

Not another one, it won't be long before London loses it's own unique image and become another identikit US style city full of skyscrapers and ugly modern corporate architecture. I can only hope that the next Mayor will put in place a ban on any new skyscrapers from being built in the city.

Perhaps every Sept 11 they could model what would happen in these buildings if they were struck by an airliner, with everyone above say floor 35 being told to imagine their services were no longer required and those beneath being reminded of the inevitable consequences of breathing in building dust.

all around these skyscrapers are 80/90s offices that no one wants the old insurance side off the city is awash with empty buildings that have fallen out of favour and being banked for possible future development. So utterly wasteful

Not another one, it won't be long before London loses it's own unique image and become another identikit US style city full of skyscrapers and ugly modern corporate architecture. I can only hope that the next Mayor will put in place a ban on any new skyscrapers from being built in the city.

I thought much of London's own unique had long since disappeared to be honest.

I quite like it.

As far as I understand, they have to be this kind of slanted cheesegrater style because of the sight line rules guaranteeing views of St Pauls. Surely this must satisfy that requirement at a minimum.

It's not a bad one, as these things go. Interesting rippled effect to the facade. Distinctive shape.

One thing I find encouraging about these new towers is the incredible amount of space given over to bicycle facilities. An entire floor of the basement of this building (which is quite a bit wider than the tower part - there's a 5 story podium) is double-stacked cycle parking, changing rooms and showers.

upload_2018-7-20_11-39-17.png

One thing I find encouraging about these new towers is the incredible amount of space given over to bicycle facilities. An entire floor of the basement of this building (which is quite a bit wider than the tower part - there's a 5 story podium) is double-stacked cycle parking, changing rooms and showers.

View attachment 141704

The cynic in me says that more cheap space below ground filled with shower and bikes means that floor space above ground can be more expensive as it doesn’t contain showers and bikes.

Alex

The cynic in me says that more cheap space below ground filled with shower and bikes means that floor space above ground can be more expensive as it doesn’t contain showers and bikes.

Alex
Nah, it's enforced by planning. Underground space is not cheap; digging holes is expensive, complicated and time-consuming.

With some careful planning and a few more construction projects they could aim to spell out LONDON on the skyline from some viewing angles.
I think it more likely that this is the last part of a complex three-dimensional sigil that will, when complete, open a gateway for the Elder Gods to finally come and provide a proper Brexit solution.

Nah, it's enforced by planning. Underground space is not cheap; digging holes is expensive, complicated and time-consuming.

Surely also, it's just practical and preferable. Park/pickup the bike and shower/change in the same place. I'm sure most people don't want to be trudging through the building in their lycra to get to designated personal changing/showering area.

Perhaps they should put the bike park on one of the top floors, instead of a cafe or something. That would defiantly make so much more sense.

Pretty sure they need foundations.
Yes, but those are just piles driven (very far) down into the clay. To actually excavate habitable space, hold back the ground pressure, keep the water out etc. is very expensive (but not as expensive as the reduction in rents that would be caused by putting above-ground areas out of profitable use by turning them into cycle parking). If planning didn't mandate a whole floor's worth of cycle parking, the habitable basement of the building would be one floor shallower.

Yes, but those are just piles driven (very far) down into the clay. To actually excavate habitable space, hold back the ground pressure, keep the water out etc. is very expensive (but not as expensive as the reduction in rents that would be caused by putting above-ground areas out of profitable use by turning them into cycle parking). If planning didn't mandate a whole floor's worth of cycle parking, the habitable basement of the building would be one floor shallower.

What will be enforced by planning will be enough bike spaces for x % of employees, the decision to put them in the basement will be commercial.

Alex

Back
Top Bottom