Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Cheaper ( not free) options than Spotify premium?

Slo-mo

Banned
Banned
Free Spotify is great of course but you can't choose actual tracks on a mobile and you have limited skips

Premium Spotify solves those problems and removes the adverts but it costs a tenner a month, OK not the end of the world but I don't use it that much because I have a decent collection of CDs and tapes.

Do either Spotify or any of the others do some sort of mid tier maybe with a limited number of tracks per month, or something. I don't actually mind the odd advert, given I grew up with commercial radio.

Happy to spend a fiver or so a month.

Tempting. Typically these offers come along at the time you can least afford them , and I wouldn't use a credit card for something like that. If it's still in in a month or two, that might be the way to go.

Well it looks like I qualify for 3 months Spotify premium for 99p a month. I wonder what the catch is?

Has anyone else got that offer in their inbox?

If you have amazon prime there’s a lot of content you can stream for free from the amazon music app. A lot of newer releases you have to wait a bit longer for them on the free platform or pay extra for music unlimited.

Google play allows you to upload 50,000 of your own music tracks to their servers for free which you can stream from the play music app, if that helps.

Well it looks like I qualify for 3 months Spotify premium for 99p a month. I wonder what the catch is?

Has anyone else got that offer in their inbox?
I took this out about 2 weeks ago. No catch. Just need to cancel before it ends or you'll pay the full price. I like it from using the trial. But I'm not paying a tenner a month.

I signed up again for Spotify for the 99p a month for 3 months, just set up a new account and used my bank card instead of paypal in order to get the offer.

It wouldn't let me get the offer using my existing account as i think it's for new customers only. As mentioned above just cancel before the 3 months is up or you'll have to pay a tenner after that.

I pay for Spotify premium. For me, I think it' worth it cos I use it most days to listen to music when I'm out and about or at work.

I've got a firestick for the TV and when I play music on YouTube, I dont get ad on there. But I understand YouTube is coming off the service at the end of this month. It's a bit of a bummer tbh esp because with the firestick, i can use my phone to put music on the TV without leaving my bed.

It would be worth it if i was using it a lot. But to listen maybe half an hour a day on the bus it's not worth it for me.

I often wonder about sharing a family subscription on services like this - with mates etc.

Spotify Family is £14.99 for up to 6 users - £3 each - bugger to administer though innit I imagine unless you actually are a family

Not meaning to derail but I’m interested to know what people think about the ethics of Spotify in particular when it comes to paying artists. I have Spotify premium but I’m dubious of how much artists actually get per listen. I’m trying to buy more merch at gigs now to make up for having it cos I feel guilty. Should I?

I pay for Spotify premium. For me, I think it' worth it cos I use it most days to listen to music when I'm out and about or at work.

I've got a firestick for the TV and when I play music on YouTube, I dont get ad on there. But I understand YouTube is coming off the service at the end of this month. It's a bit of a bummer tbh esp because with the firestick, i can use my phone to put music on the TV without leaving my bed.
Install Spotify on your Firestick...you can then control it from your phone, just like YouTube :thumbs:

I often wonder about sharing a family subscription on services like this - with mates etc.

Spotify Family is £14.99 for up to 6 users - £3 each - bugger to administer though innit I imagine unless you actually are a family
No. I think it’ll work like Netflix does with different profiles. Can watch on several devices at the same time if you pay.

Not meaning to derail but I’m interested to know what people think about the ethics of Spotify in particular when it comes to paying artists. I have Spotify premium but I’m dubious of how much artists actually get per listen. I’m trying to buy more merch at gigs now to make up for having it cos I feel guilty. Should I?
Derail away because I've often wondered similar. To be completely honest most of what I listen to is over ten years old, often more like twenty, and from pretty big artists who made mega bucks at the time.....

It would be worth it if i was using it a lot. But to listen maybe half an hour a day on the bus it's not worth it for me.

I think that justifies paying in my opinion. Back in the day £15 a CD, I'd buy several a month. Listening to 30 mins a day, 5 days a week, is sufficient time to listen to one album enough times to warrant paying for it, and still works out significantly cheaper than if you were buying the physical discs.

Not a lot, but they offset it with ridiculous ticket prices to see them live.

I think that justifies paying in my opinion. Back in the day £15 a CD, I'd buy several a month. Listening to 30 mins a day, 5 days a week, is sufficient time to listen to one album enough times to warrant paying for it, and still works out significantly cheaper than if you were buying the physical discs.

Yeah I agree with cybershot. Half an our a day 5 times a week is 2.5 hours so 10 hours over the month. That's a quid an hour, based on a tenner a month. Sounds like very good value to me. I suppose it does depend on what's affordable to people though.

No. I think it’ll work like Netflix does with different profiles. Can watch on several devices at the same time if you pay.

I meant getting the money off your mates and who pays the direct debit being a pain rather than the actual usage of the apps etc
But yeah, you're right, it'll be dead simple to set up

I meant getting the money off your mates and who pays the direct debit being a pain rather than the actual usage of the apps etc
But yeah, you're right, it'll be dead simple to set up

Get your mates who want in to give you the cash up front? It's only 30 quid a year each if six of you are sharing the family Spotify.

Get your mates who want in to give you the cash up front? It's only 30 quid a year each if six of you are sharing the family Spotify.
Yeah me and my sister are going to do something similar with Netflix but I don't think she's that into music.

Anyway I got a handful of good discs including "modern life is rubbish" for a quid a pop at a Christmas fayre yesterday so maybe I'd better going down that road...

I have a few close friends in bands. From fairly big bands that play main stages at festivals and are on Radio 1 a fair bit, to your small obscure bands.

All say they get pretty good payments from streaming services.
The guys in the really obscure bands seem especially happy.

I have a few close friends in bands. From fairly big bands that play main stages at festivals and are on Radio 1 a fair bit, to your small obscure bands.

All say they get pretty good payments from streaming services.
The guys in the really obscure bands seem especially happy.

Can you get me tickets to The Streets gig in Birmingham, it sold out mega quick. :(

;)

Back
Top Bottom