Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Charging issue, Moto Phone

weltweit

Plugging in my charger to my phone always caused my phone to announce "charging" and then "turbo charger connected" or something like that. Anyhow it charged fast which was great.

Plugging my charger in today, there is no announcement and while it is charging, it is way slow, taken hours just to charge perhaps 15% and no announcement of "turbo" charging at all. In fact no announcement that it is charging at all.

Something is wrong.

I have tried the 3 pin plug in other sockets in case that might be an issue, doesn't seem to be.

Tried connecting the connector to the phone the other was round, doesn't make a difference.

I could try plugging the USB cable into a USB port to see if it charges any faster?

Have taken the case off the phone in case it is obstructing the connector getting properly home. Nope.

It has been connected to the charger for hours now and still only 65% :/ Grr

I had a weird issue with my previous Moto when it said it was only charged to 20-something percent - I know it's a cliché but turning it off and on again actually worked :D

It might be the charger unit or the plug it is plugged into.

I just tried plugging the cable (USB end) into my computer and the phone registered "charging" and then "charging slowly"

Might be the cable - but when I plugged one end into my USB on my computer and the other end into the phone it acknowledged the connection and said "charging" - "charging slowly"

And it is slowly, I can't be doing with that, I want my turbo charger back :(

Might be the cable - but when I plugged one end into my USB on my computer and the other end into the phone it acknowledged the connection and said "charging" - "charging slowly"

And it is slowly, I can't be doing with that, I want my turbo charger back :(
Yeah that's what my phone says when I use the knackered old cable. Have you got another one you can try?

I think it is the charger unit.

I just tried the charger unit in a completely different socket with the phone plugged in and nothing.
Tried in another socket nothing.
Plugged the USB end of the cable back into the computer bing "charging slowly"

Yeah that's what my phone says when I use the knackered old cable. Have you got another one you can try?
I don't think I have another cable sadly no ...

Should be able to get one tomorrow though, Argos perhaps ..

Just been googling around, a few others had the same problem.

However I do think my charger unit is broken, not a peep when it is in the loop, but the cable connected to my USB port does charge but slowly.

My friend recommended 'ugreen' cables weltweit and using one actually made the satnav/phone connection in my car work 2 years after I bought it. I'd tried more than one cable so didn't think that was the problem, but it was.

Now I am really pissed off!

The new charger and cable arrived. Supposedly genuine Moto parts.

The cable doesn't fit the phone, the connector looks similar but is smaller than the existing cable's connector.

Trying with the old cable, the new charger doesn't come live.

Plug the old cable into the computer's USB it charges slowly.

The internet tells me my phone has a USB Type-C 2.0

Also Type-C (reversible), USB 2.0 they all make a deal out of calling it a USB Type-C 2.0

And the cable I just bought says it is a USB-C

But it doesn't fit!

Last edited:
I've had a few Motos... usually buying a new charger sorts out the problem! I haven't had one where it's been the phone yet.

Anyhow last night I ordered a new cable which said "works on Moto G9 Power" I figured nothing could go wrong with that purchase, and Iona may well be right perhaps it is the cable, especially as I now have two chargers and neither of them seem to work with the old cable. The old cable which will slow charge on my computers USB port but not rapid charge on either of my chargers!

Cable arrived and I immediately checked if it fitted my phone, it did !yay! first hurdle well and truly taken.

On getting home I plugged into my old charger and hey presto turbo charging is go again!

So, iona I should have listened to you more! It was the cable!

Now I have to find out if Amazon will take back £15.99 of unwanted charger and wrong cable? :) :(

Yes the cable uses the data lines to tell the charger to deliver a higher voltage.
I only discovered what "turbo" charging actually was when I bought a USB power meter...

had a moto 7 that was smashed just a little

but simular thing only like to be charge when the phone was off was slightly annoying :/

That makes sense - I've got two samsung chargers and only one works for fast charging, so I guess the other one was faulty when I got it.
Using the same cable ?
Some cables are just charging ones - have no data lines in them and turbo charging was a thing that probably only got added to phones and chargers around 5 years ago.

Using the same cable ?
Some cables are just charging ones - have no data lines in them and turbo charging was a thing that probably only got added to phones and chargers around 5 years ago.

Different cables - they're both identical charges and cables, and only one does fast charging. The charger that works also works with other USB cables, so it's the charger module on the other that must be knackered. Makes no difference as I don't use the tablet so one charger is enough.

Back
Top Bottom