Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Champion Hill: Proposed Ground Redevelopment

They sell the extra parking spaces here Park with Horizon Parking
This part winds me up: "Parking spaces located on Sainsbury's Dulwich in London. The spaces are suitable for vehicles up to the size of a Large - (4x4)."

Forget ULEZ, which mainly penalises a minority of poorer people with a 20 year old Fiesta/Corsa, and do something to get all these oversized SUVs off London roads. I'm bloody sick of them, they're a menace, taking up too much space and blocking sightlines for pedestrians and other road users. No one needs a sodding Range Rover in Zone 2. If you want to drive one of those go and live on a farm.

Even if you accept the need for mass car parking (and I don't), it's still a really inefficient use of land.

In Streatham there's housing on top of the supermarket.

Parking (I think) is stacked on two levels, slightly reducing the wasted space.

Screenshot 2024-02-07 at 14.17.03.jpgScreenshot 2024-02-07 at 14.17.33.jpg

Yeah that's much more like Berlin in terms of density.
Sorry this is now an urban design thread.

Even if you accept the need for mass car parking (and I don't), it's still a really inefficient use of land.

In Streatham there's housing on top of the supermarket.

Parking (I think) is stacked on two levels, slightly reducing the wasted space.

View attachment 411232View attachment 411233
Yep - suspect the current plans are unviable and will never be built - a better approach would be to include the Sainsbury’s site to do something similar to this.

I think there is an argument for a much denser redevelopment of the site, either in isolation (I doubt it will work financially as currently planned) or incorporating the wider Sainsburys. It's almost on top of the station, and Denmark Hill station is a short ride/walk away. Most new developments are car free, so proximity to transport a must.

The schools/hospital infrastructure point is partially valid, but....... we have a new health centre/Drs surgery at Tessa Jowell, and a small health facility up the road. There's a new school a very short distance away, and aren't southwark, in common with other inner London Boroughs closing schools towards the more central parts given lack of demand (yeah, I know right product, wrong place). Needed amenity can be incorporated into new developments, and with greater scale gives greater possibility.

I think a cluster of towers, like a mini Croydon or Vauxhall would fit, however it'll get right up the noses of the 'we need more houses, but the right sort in the right place' brigade.

How about Sainsbury's at the bottom. Couple of levels of parking above. Three of four levels of housing on top. Then you might as well stick a new stadium above all of that.

Just got this from Companies House about Meadow Residential LLP - dunno if it's relevant.

Attachments

• companies_house_document.pdf
    128.1 KB · Views: 39
It’s Bennison & McDaniel’s signatures on it so looks like MR has served its purpose. Might find a new company has been formed for the purpose of the development which might be a positive in the actual stadium getting started.

If I remember correctly Meadow was formed because the hedge fund money behind this whole scheme got pissed off that Healey were enjoying the football side of things far too much and not getting on with the development.

Does anyone reckon the new ground will ever the see the light of day? Was there an update at the last fans forum?

Should any tenders have been issued I’m sure there are those who could tell us or might be able to find them. I remember when I worked in Construction Recruitment we used a few databases to find leads for projects. I don’t have access to these these days so no help there. Hypothesising it could be argued that with constant crowds well in excess of 2.5k it might prove counter productive to start work and lose income.

Trying to find it here but I seem to recall someone saying that any development would start at the Greendales End in preseason so as to minimise disruption during the regular season. Given that nothing has been announced and no such work has started then it could be that nothing will happen for a good ten months yet?

That was the plan in the run up to COVID. Post COVID it was stated that may not longer be possible as the appropriate window of opportunity start date had vanished.

The new government is about to amend the National Planning Policy Framework. Given that and the damage the Truss mini budget did to housing / mortgage rates, I suspect you'd be wise not to hold your breath.

This was discussed at the supporters forum 2 months ago. I didn't take notes and I'm not attempting any lengthy explanations that may be factually incorrect.

The Truss-Kwarteng budget was a financial clusterfuck that blasted construction costs into orbit, and the scope of the damage caused should not be understated. It basically wasted at least a year, as no one would commit to building anything until the dust had settled, and many have been sitting tight until the change in government that finally happened last week. Lots of developers wanted to take on the housing element of the project, but not the football stadium. (No housing will be built on the current ground until the new one is ready to use.) A suitable partner for the stadium build has now been identified (as of 2 months ago) but I don't recall any likely starting date being suggested, so it's going to be at least another 2 full seasons before we're actually playing on the new ground.

It took Cray Wanderers an eternity to overcome all the obstacles to completing their new home, but now they've finally moved in, so keep the faith.

Maybe a thought but perhaps the club could dedicate a section within the new website for updates, etc on the development. It should be made clear that this will not be updated regularly due to circumstances outside the control of the club but having something there would be better than radio silence which always seems to lead to negative speculation. Could start maybe with details from the club of what was said at the time of that supporters’ forum.

I’m starting to wonder if this is going to go down in the Record Book of Guinnesses as the longest redevelopment in history! I’m trying to remember exactly when Hadley came into Dulwich Hamlet in the first place though this thread is around 9 years old already.

I’m starting to wonder if this is going to go down in the Record Book of Guinnesses as the longest redevelopment in history! I’m trying to remember exactly when Hadley came into Dulwich Hamlet in the first place though this thread is around 9 years old already.
There are others that have been dragged out or far longer than this.

It's just dawned on me that some of it may have to go back before Southwark because of changes to fire regulations, although if the original permission is still valid it'd be very hard for protesters to derail it (and will become harder still under the new govt, I expect).

The way this is dragging is nothing new for Hamlet. It's often overlooked but the development of the classic Champion Hill stadium was a bit of a fiasco, featuring long delays and legal action. That ground proved to be worth the wait. Hopefully that will prove true this time too.

In terms of long waits Southend sticks out in my mind. I think they first floated the Fossetts Farm idea/Ron Martin pipedream/garden path in the late 90s/early 00s

Maybe now we should get on and build that temporary stand that was first mooted nearly a decade or so ago?

What with huge crowds + winter coming + barely any cover happening at the ground.

Apologies if I've missed something but it feels like there hasn't been any update on the stadium situation for a while. Does anyone know what the latest is with this?

Apologies if I've missed something but it feels like there hasn't been any update on the stadium situation for a while. Does anyone know what the latest is with this?
The chairman touched upon it towards the end of his column in Saturday's programme. The club is basically waiting for other parties to make a move and there's little our people can do other than to keep pressing them, which I'm sure they have been all along. Obviously it's immensely frustrating to be left in limbo, with the nagging worry that it might somehow fall through.

Back
Top Bottom