Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Causes of death recorded in London 1632 - incl wolf, suddenly and rising of the lights

Only 3 people died by bleeding, which is surprising. Unless it was the medical kind, rather than just straight up blood loss.

Also, one person died of piles and another of sciatica?? Were they ever fatal??

Last edited:
I notice the person who is trying to explain 'some of the more odd or confusing items' does touch 'Cancer, and Wolf'

Which leads me to wonder if there was some form of lupotherapy for cancer patients or that person simply doesn't want to touch that one.

Planet 13: clearly Martians coming here and killing our ancestors. I'm so glad all their canals dried up.

.....and what was Kings Evil?!

I was likewise perplexed, but....

The King's Evil was the name given to scrofula, the swelling of the bones and lymphatic glands in the neck. Now recognised to be tuberculosis. From the time of Edward the Confessor, King of England 1003-1066, it was a superstitious belief that the disease could be cured by royal touch.

I was surprised to see cancer identified, but it seems we have known about it for centuries.

It would also be "interesting" to know how many people were found "Dead in the sStreet" in recent years.

I notice the person who is trying to explain 'some of the more odd or confusing items' does touch 'Cancer, and Wolf'

Which leads me to wonder if there was some form of lupotherapy for cancer patients or that person simply doesn't want to touch that one.

"The Wolf" was what they called cancer of the legs.

'Tis a Disease which attacks not only the Breast, but several other Parts, on which it is not less outrageous: It sometimes assumes different names; when it comes on the Legs, 'tis called the Wolf, because if left to itself, 'twill not quit them 'till it has devoured them; when it fixes on the Face, 'tis called a Noli me tangere, because that touching irritates it, and makes it a greater Ravage: Authors also observe, that there are besides Tumours and cancerous Ulcers in several parts of the Body, which I shall not mention to Day.

Only 3 people died by bleeding, which is surprising. Unless it was the medical kind, rather than just straight up blood loss.

Also, one person died of piles and another of sciatica?? Were they ever fatal??
Depends how bad they bleed. :eek:

Rising of the lights - literally coughing your lungs up. :eek:

Back
Top Bottom