Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Cat on a lap

When is it okay to move?

• Total voters

Gromit

International Man of Misery
Take away coming.

My cat is going to be annoyed when it arrives. Lap eviction time.

Back in the olden days, when I worked for a cat who did lap occupation, needing a piss was the most common reason. I'm sure my attempts to hold it enlarged my bladder, and possibly set me up for health difficulties as I get older.

Everyone knows (I hope!) that I adore and am good to any animals I have, currently down to one elderly cat who is so so loved.

I do take the view that I am the human and they are the animal though, and if on my lap or on my chair or otherwise in the way, I will wake them up and move them.
If they are in a spot away from me, I will of course show them the respect of leaving them alone, not waking them or fussing over them or going over to them to stroke or pet them.

My poor auld boy is currently unwell and on gabapentin which means he sleeps even more than an average elderly cat and is a bit wobbly, so I've got an old bath towel folded up on my lap for him to sleep on, which makes it easy for me to move him off my lap and back on again without disturbing him too much or making him get up and physically move himself when I need to get up or come back to sit down again.
Hopefully we'll have his test results tomorrow and a prognosis/treatment plan, I wouldn't of course keep him in this state indefinitely.

In my experience, having a cat on your lap is a transparent excuse used to avoid pulling one’s weight in the household, with regard to chores and other domestic necessities

I am not OU, but I'm going to take a wild stab at the point being that having a cat on your lap is a transparent excuse used to avoid pulling one’s weight in the household, with regard to chores and other domestic necessities.

Obviously, I could be wrong, and it's a coded message to invade Luxembourg.

I am not OU, but I'm going to take a wild stab at the point being that having a cat on your lap is a transparent excuse used to avoid pulling one’s weight in the household, with regard to chores and other domestic necessities.

Obviously, I could be wrong, and it's a coded message to invade Luxembourg.
It's a disability like any other.
Away with your victim blaming. :snarl:

From the perspective of the human all the answers are valid but only the top from the point of view of the cat
is the correct answer, in my humble opinion ...

sadly, Beauty [the Tripod] hasn't got to the stage of being a lap cat ... give her time -the poor thing has only just got used to becoming disabled and housebound ...

When my leg goes numb. Probably help if she lost a few lbs, but I guess that's the same for all of us.
Wish my auld boy would put on a bit more weight, he was over 5kg in his prime and definitely leg-numbing happened - his last weigh in he was 3.75kg (and that was an increase over his previous visit).

(((((Old cats))))

As my cat has its own doorbell that it operates, i'm edging towards the former.
I don't think my cat's intellect would stretch to that :)
Poor lad is not the sharpest knife in the drawer.
He is incredibly sweet and loved :)

Answering the door wouldn't be on the list for me but my cats fly when it's knocked or rung so I have no excuse.

My bladder is probably the thing. And I will stretch it for a long time.

I sometimes thank a cat who has been on my lap for a long time for stopping me getting more fat. My snack of choice will be in another room and I won't go if I have lap cat.

Back
Top Bottom