Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Cardiff (Splott) photos from 1981

brogdale

Coming to terms with late onset Anarchism
Apols if there's already an 'old photos of Cardiff' thread, but I couldn't find one after a cursory look.

Lockdown has seen me digging through my old photo collection to 'digitise' them and I came across these from 1981 when Mrs B was in her 2nd year at Cardiff....39 years!:eek:

Mainly of the Splott area and general views of/from the centre.

1. Splott Road, Splott.

1594650428427.png

2. Carlisle Street.

1594650493700.png

3. Imperial Cafe, Splott road, Splott.

1594650560265.png

4. The, then newly built, old 'STAR' leisure centre (Splott/Tremofa/Adamsdown/Roath), opened by Charles Windsor & the Queen of our hearts

1594650779837.png

The Cottage, Sanquahar Street, Splott.

1594650973140.png

6. The old East Moors Steelworks at Tremorfa (just recently closed)

1594651188289.png

7. Tremorfa view towards East Moors Steelworks with the Moorlands pub

1594651260612.png

8. Towards Queen Street station, near the prison.

1594651348491.png

9. National Museum/City Hall

1594651413675.png

10. General view from the top of "the Tower"; the Social sciences building, with East Moors towards the left and Penarth the right:

1594651521673.png

Enjoy!

Apols if there's already an 'old photos of Cardiff' thread, but I couldn't find one after a cursory look.

Lockdown has seen me digging through my old photo collection to 'digitise' them and I came across these from 1981 when Mrs B was in her 2nd year at Cardiff....39 years!:eek:

1. Splott Road, Splott.

View attachment 222084

2. Carlisle Street.

View attachment 222085

View attachment 222086

4. The, then newly built, old 'STAR' leisure centre (Splott/Tremofa/Adamsdown/Roath), opened by Charles Windsor & the Queen of our hearts

View attachment 222087

View attachment 222088

View attachment 222089

View attachment 222090

View attachment 222091

View attachment 222092

10. General view from the top of "the Tower"; the Social sciences building, with East Moors towards the left and Penarth the right:

View attachment 222093

Enjoy!
Great pics!

The Imperial cafe and the Cottage are still open. The Moorland has been turned into flats and I think the STAR centre is now something to do with the NHS.

The steelworks are still there, though some units have closed (Castle Wire, the nail factory, the old bar mill, conti-stretch - I'm not sure if the 16in mill has has closed, but I'd be shocked if they were still rolling). The mini mill/TSW has been revamped into a new melt shop and the rod mill on the old GKN site now runs bar as well. All owned by Celsa these days, with about 1/3 of the staff

STAR Centre is' Better'-run sports centre plus library plus some council/third sector training rooms now, no?
Not sure. I seldom go over that way these days. I remember something about it closing along with Splott pool and a new "hub" supposed to be opening, but I don't pay much attention to things that happen that side of the river

The Imperial cafe and the Cottage are still open. The Moorland has been turned into flats and I think the STAR centre is now something to do with the NHS.

The steelworks are still there, though some units have closed (Castle Wire, the nail factory, the old bar mill, conti-stretch - I'm not sure if the 16in mill has has closed, but I'd be shocked if they were still rolling). The mini mill/TSW has been revamped into a new melt shop and the rod mill on the old GKN site now runs bar as well. All owned by Celsa these days, with about 1/3 of the staff
Good to hear that the Imperial & the Cottage are still with us!

The Imperial was a proper lifesaver (after nights spent in the Royal Oak) with it's proper Welsh fry-ups (the cup of tea and bread & butter) coming, of course, without ordering. And the Cottage was always really a friendly place, full of characters. Genuinely happy days.

I lived in Blanche st behind the royal Oak for 17 years, my cat Gripper would go to the open area at the rear for tidbits every night (I often bumped into him coming in when I went for pint)
Splott was a great place full of diversity and life

Pleased to say I drove past just last week and the Royal Oak still looked well cared for, I hope it survives as it has a great history including that of the attached boxing club/gym.
Clifton street at the other end of Broadway has however turned into a dreadfull place now occupied by the dregs of humanity from around the globe...very sad

I just remebered..SA straight from the barrel!!!!!, god how did we survive that stuff?

I lived in Blanche st behind the royal Oak for 17 years, my cat Gripper would go to the open area at the rear for tidbits every night (I often bumped into him coming in when I went for pint)
Splott was a great place full of diversity and life

Pleased to say I drove past just last week and the Royal Oak still looked well cared for, I hope it survives as it has a great history including that of the attached boxing club/gym.
Clifton street at the other end of Broadway has however turned into a dreadfull place now occupied by the dregs of humanity from around the globe...very sad

I just remebered..SA straight from the barrel!!!!!, god how did we survive that stuff?
How do you mean?
Used to live off Clifton St

Sorry if I offended but I think there are good and bad people of all creeds and colours, no ethnicity is without their low life and they tend like all types to stick together (re-read my comment and tell me I am singling any creed out)
I lived the greater portion of my life in Cardiff playing on the railway lines behind kilcattan street when we still had street parties, I know its diversity I was part of it.
A Lovely place, parts of it have changed greatly
What's your expereinces of the place brogdale?

Sorry if I offended but I think there are good and bad people of all creeds and colours, no ethnicity is without their low life and they tend like all types to stick together (re-read my comment and tell me I am singling any creed out)
I lived the greater portion of my life in Cardiff playing on the railway lines behind kilcattan street when we still had street parties, I know its diversity I was part of it.
:hmm:

Seriously, brogdale, I lived there in the early 70's and again through the eighties and later,
If you remember names like No choice, Icons of filth and the practice rooms in the Maltings we might well know each other

not trolling? :hmm: am curious for further details of your apparently recent experience of this part of town :)

Please go and make your own mind up
I've no intention turning brogdale's thread into a socio-political slagging match

why make a point of saying the below then?
" Clifton street at the other end of Broadway has however turned into a dreadfull place now occupied by the dregs of humanity from around the globe...very sad "

Please go and make your own mind up
I've no intention turning brogdale's thread into a socio-political slagging match
Throwing in an unnecessary and casually bigoted slur into a nostalgia thread looks like some sort of intent to me tbh.

am assuming from your posts Bollox that you're not a current resident?

would it please be possible to refrain from smearing the reputation (in - small audience, but still - public) of entire areas you have no connection with? or to please detail those statements so those currently in residence might get a heads up at least?

cos otherwise it looks like your opinion (on splott) is only to be taken with a massive pinch of salt. i see you're posting elsewhere, and it would be sad to have to mentally insert a splott-shaped cloud hanging over the head of all your subsequent posts...

1. Splott Road, Splott.

View attachment 222084

2. Carlisle Street.

View attachment 222085

View attachment 222086

View attachment 222087

View attachment 222088

View attachment 222089

View attachment 222090

View attachment 222091

View attachment 222092

View attachment 222093

Enjoy!
I've found a few more pics from roughly the same period taken during the January1982 snow event! :eek:

I'm afraid they're not great quality (digital captures of faded old pics) but they certainly give the impression of what the snow was like in the Splott area:

1. Looking down Sapphire street from Clifton:

1596967667908.png

2. Icicles hanging of the infirmary/CRI (?) on Newport road:

1596967732123.png

3. Car buried (possibly Carlisle street Splott):

1596967783293.png

4. Looking out of doorway in Sapphire street at the "tunnel" dug to the road:

1596967839061.png

5. One of us lot playing in the snow near East Moors.

1596967882551.png

Cool pics for a heatwave!

Used to address letters to Mrs B when she lived there as:
"Mrs B"
18 Splott Road,
Splott,
Splottlands
Cardiff

:D
I remember reading that a singer named after a village was thinking of buying a house there and giving the house the same name, so his address would be
Boothby Graffoe
Boothby Graffoe
Boothby Graffoe

Back
Top Bottom