Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Canvey Island V Hamlet, 7 Sept 2024

Bugpowder Dust

Ok I'm in as haven't been for ages and surprisingly it's a new ground for me.

Been to Concord, never found a good way to get there and never found a decent pub. Any tips?

There are very few pub options anywhere on Canvey Island, and none at all close to the ground since the Admiral Jellicoe closed at least a decade ago.

The only public transport option is by train to Benfleet, then (like Concord) a bus from the stops right outside the station. I can't remember the route number for this ground, but it's a reasonably frequent service (every 15 minutes from memory, maybe 20) and you want one with the destination Leigh Beck. The penultimate stop is directly opposite the ground, which will be clearly visible to the right.

beside myself with excitement, wanted to go to the April fixture, but terrible transport put me off. Taking the pushbikes to Benfleet, Lobster Smack for some Dickensian research and lunch, the home of Dr Feelgood, a homage to Wilco Johnson and Lee Brilleaux, strictly Milk & Alcohol tomorrow, oh, is there football too????

beside myself with excitement, wanted to go to the April fixture, but terrible transport put me off. Taking the pushbikes to Benfleet, Lobster Smack for some Dickensian research and lunch, the home of Dr Feelgood, a homage to Wilco Johnson and Lee Brilleaux, strictly Milk & Alcohol tomorrow, oh, is there football too????
Have a great time, but don't expect any football.

Another rejigged line-up. Ramsay fit to start is the good news, but looks like AJ is out injured now. Looks like one of Chambers & JBW will have to play right centre back.

We made hard work of a game we looked to have total control of for first 70 mins. Tough on their sandy pitch which looks poor already at the start of September . Wanado intercepted a goalie throw out and hit a typical powerful cross shot into far corner . During the first half we had lots of shots at goal and Canvey looked worst side i had seen at this level for a while . Then right on half time we left there forward free at a free kick. Headed against the bar and and scrambled in. Still time for an in swinging corner which looked to be an own goal so 2 1 up at ht . 2nd half looked in control at first but they got round the back in the left and scored. . Pretty even after that with chances both ends. Their captain sent off JBW blasts in a cross shot and i think Porter punched it in ....not VAR...might be wrong. Lots on injuries and big effort all round

We're now up to 9th, only 2 points off the top 5, and 6 points off top place. There were some big defeats for a few teams who might fancy their chances (Dartford, Folkestone, Hastings) and Chatham blew a 2 goal lead at home to Hendon. It's early days yet of course, but of the bookies favourites only Billericay are looking really convincing results wise, while Dover have started well and are banging in the goals.

Hopefully we'll have a few back from injury before Horsham visit in a fortnight. I suspect Hak will want to arrange a friendly of some sort before then. The trip to Bowers & Pitsea in 3 weeks time will be postponed if they win at home to Biggleswade Town in the FA Cup next week, so we may have only one more game this month, then it'll be the FA Trophy on the first Saturday in October.

great away day, Canvey is definitely my third favourite island after Catford and Ballard's Concrete. The Lobster Smack is worth a visit, can kind of imagine it in a brooding Dickensian way, the rest of the island, well...I've been there.

But, a win on the road, and hoping Lorenzo is ok.

Terrible pitch, so early in the season, and the sight of container ships passing above the goal - quality!!!

Max pics!

In photos: Dulwich Hamlet Hamlet take all three points at Canvey Island, Sat 8th Sept 2024

In photos: Dulwich Hamlet Hamlet take all three points at Canvey Island, Sat 8th Sept 2024

Back
Top Bottom