Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Canterbury, Kent - photos, places to go and more

editor

hiraethified
Canterbury was one of those places that I'd never got around to visiting, but I was really blown away by how lovely the city is. And there's history everywhere!

canterbury-photos-01.jpg

canterbury-photos-04.jpg

canterbury-photos-07.jpg

The beautiful architecture of Canterbury, Kent, England – in photos

Ah, shit. Would've met you for a beer if I'd known.

Eta...lovely photos. You really did it justice. :thumbs:

Last edited:
It was a bit of a flying visit so didn't even have time for a beer - I had a bloody amazing pizza at Chapter though.
Yeah, was puzzled for a sec seeing that pic as it's only very recently opened. Thanks for the recommendation:)

Yeah, was puzzled for a sec seeing that pic as it's only very recently opened. Thanks for the recommendation:)
I was the nicest pizza and salad I've had in a long time. Miles better than the ones in Brixton. My only disappointment was that I even if I didn't get even if I didn't bump into 70s prog stalwarts Caravan busking by a medieval pub. That would have the trip even better.

Dunno if you've seen this editor but there's loads of recognisable stuff...

The camera starts its journey pretty much from outside The Bishops Finger then up the high street

Visited it one winter with the snow falling, was gorgeous.

Be nice to go back at some point.
When I was there I thought that it must look beautiful in the snow. Something always seems extra-pleasing about the combination of medieval buildings in the snow/old pubs/coal fires/ale etc etc :)

My other half went to uni there, and I absolutely adore it, as it's mostly full of happy memories. I'd actually reasonably happily move to Canterbury.
It's super twee though.

Eta: And when it snowed bigtime in 2010, I got 'snowed in' there a few times and couldn't get back to work on the monday. Such hardship. We went sledging down St Stephen's Hill instead.

Had to bump this for this brilliant photo showing the construction of the University of Kent in 1968. I love the contradiction of 19thC technology with the white heat of technology associated with Wilson's plate glass expansion.

1641836425842.png

It's a great place to mooch about. Only really got to know it well last summer, by walking every street.

20210516_140033.jpg

20210520_152036.jpg

20210517_112426.jpg
Then spent Christmas Eve there unexpectedly. Had been shopping, but as it grew dark and twinkly it was too lovely to leave. Sat outside Houdinis and the house magician was excellent...just really hands on, close up card tricks and mind reading. Only 5 of us there all evening. One of those totally unplanned brilliant evenings.
20211224_154932.jpg

20211224_181256.jpg

Back
Top Bottom