Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Can this stand thing damage my laptop?

miss direct

misfungled
I bought this from a charity shop: FlexDesk 630 | Document holder | BakkerElkhuizen | BakkerElkhuizen
1679237075394.png
I thought it was a laptop stand, but it seems it's a "document holder". It also has a sticker on it saying it contains a strong magnet and to avoid using magnetic data cards. I can't find any information anywhere as to whether I can put my laptop on this and use it as a laptop stand. Can anyone help? I'll take it back if it's going to damage my laptop.

Last edited:
Can't find any clear information about magnets harming or not harming laptops - google seems to say both yes and no. Would apppreciate some facts :) Maybe I can remove the magnetic part.

Can't find any clear information about magnets harming or not harming laptops - google seems to say both yes and no. Would apppreciate some facts :) Maybe I can remove the magnetic part.

Strong magnets will potentially do very very very bad things to old non-SSD (traditional old-school spinning disk type) hard drives, so if your laptop has one of those keep it well away.

Other than that no magnet that you’re going to be able to buy will do any damage to the electronics in a laptop.

i think it's fairly well known that magnets and computer discs is not a good combination - i don't know how much of this is urban myth though

i once had quite a big fridge magnet sort of thing which ended up on my filing cabinet at work.

i did move it to my computer (after the magnet bit had fallen off, so i stuck it with blue-tack)

i will not repeat what the department IT bloke said when he saw it or what he called me when he realised...

A classic indeed, but floppies were much more vulnerable... Computers contain various magnets; HDDs themselves use them as part of the mechanism (separate from the electromagnet used in read/write), fans will have them, some types of speaker, optical drives, etc.

This article is quite a good summary (scroll down to the bit about hard drives).

Floppy disks would be corrupted if you stared at them hard enough.

I remember in the days where stuff was coming out on cd and floppy having some game that came on something like 24 disks.

After a year or so install it would be floppy disk Russian roulette.

In the well-known documentary, Breaking Bad, criminals wipe evidence off a laptop that’s inside a building they are outside of by using a magnet so strong it tips their lorry over. It was quite a revelation.
88472B5B-6C52-4416-B253-42B4FF00F708.gif

So I still don't know the answer to my question, but the good news is, I worked out how to remove the magnet. Stuck it a metre or so away. Is that enough distance to not do any potential harm?

Back
Top Bottom