Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Can my landlord sue me if I leave without giving any notice?

cypher79

Banned
Banned
I currently live in a house rented through a letting agent, and I've been offered a new job in another city, so I'll be moving there and staying with a friend for the first few weeks until I get another place sorted.

Now the job starts in less than a week, and in my contract with the current letting agent states I have to give 4 weeks notice before leaving. Next months rent is due around the same time I want to leave, so my plan was to cancel the standing order, and just hand the keys in the day before the next rent is due. There was no deposit here btw.

And I've not been impressed by this landlord/letting agent, as they did not do any of the work that they promised to do before I moved in, so that's why I'm apathetic towards them in this situation.

So should I be worried about getting sued or something for not giving any notice?

Yes, the guarantor could be sued.

Normally the landlord would simply withhold the deposit. But without one, it's a gamble as to whether they can be bothered. Depends on the rent amount and the level of experience the landlord has, but I wouldn't be surprised if they put in a claim - it's cheap and easy.

Yeah that will :(

That's what I thought :(

Yes, the guarantor could be sued.

Normally the landlord would simply withhold the deposit. But without one, it's a gamble as to whether they can be bothered. Depends on the rent amount and the level of experience the landlord has, but I wouldn't be surprised if they put in a claim - it's cheap and easy.

Well I know this house was empty for 2-3 months before I moved in, and also the rent is only £450 a month anyway, so those reasons lead me to believe that they probably won't pursue it? And if they do threaten to take me to court or whatever, I can use the fact that they did not do the work that they promised as a counter?

£450 rent to rent a house? Blimey!

Just pay it or else it's a problem for your mum or do as Supine suggests

I was guarantor for my daughter a few years ago and they left before the initial term was up. It was a headache that I was pulled into.

Tell them your leaving BECAUSE they haven't done x, y and z as you requested. Put the blame on them and maybe they won't chase you. But talk it out rather than scarpering.

This. Are the problems something you could report to environmental health?

I think however justified you think you are, if you do anything other than stick to the terms of your tenancy agreement you'll be pulling your mum into it. By all means attempt to negotiate something with the landlord, but I predict it'll get nowhere.

Another vote here for don't fuck your mum over. Have a chat with the landlord / agency, try and cut a deal of some sort.

Reactions: tim
Yes it's a month to month contract.

I'm moving to a city about 50 miles away, so not sure.

Also I forgot to mention that my mother signed guarantor on this property, does that change things?
Like everyone says, don't involve your mother. Pay your way.

She's no longer there to clear up after you.

generally agree with much of the above - you may also find the contract says you have to give notice so it ends on whatever day of the month your rent is due, in which case it's a minimum of a month's notice (which is a bit of a sod if you end up having to give 8 weeks notice)

shelter's page on ending a month to month tenancy here (this assumes you / the place you're renting is in england - housing law is variable around the uk)

Tell them your leaving BECAUSE they haven't done x, y and z as you requested. Put the blame on them and maybe they won't chase you. But talk it out rather than scarpering.
Yes, that's a good wheeze. And is there any general maintenance work you have done that should be taken into account? And will you promise to leave the house in excellent condition, thus saving them money? You might be able to get them to knock off a couple of hundred if you just keep talking and talking....

But do a deal and don't leave it on your mum....

aren't they already in the wrong for not having a deposit in a deposit scheme?
surely it would be beneficial for them not to have this highlighted?

aren't they already in the wrong for not having a deposit in a deposit scheme?
surely it would be beneficial for them not to have this highlighted?
the way i read it, they did not take a deposit. in which case i don't see a case for putting a non existent deposit in a deposit scheme...

Back
Top Bottom