Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Can allergies develop suddenly? Woken with swollen face. (Skincare question)

lizzieloo

Numpty extraordinaire
R.I.P.
I don't really know how allergies work as I have been lucky so far by not really having any, but can you suddenly become allergic to something you've used regularly in the past?

Cleansed with witch hazel as usual then I applied The Ordinary Salicylic Acid 2% Solution and some retinoil on my neck I use the Salicylic acid a couple of times a week, the retinoil on my neck and witch hazel daily.

Woke this morning with swollen itchy eyes, it could well be completely unrelated to my skincare as I've been fine till now, but I'm a bit dubious about carrying on with these products if I have developed an allergy overnight, that would be a bummer as they work for me.

:confused:

AFAIK both salicylic acid and retinol are quite harsh ingredients.

I understand that but the retinol is 1% (salicylic acid 2%) and I've used all three regularly for a couple of years at least. My skin has always been pretty bombproof

I don't know if it's a new bottle? Sometimes ingredients are changed without warning, so maybe it's that?

You've not washed your bed sheets in a new brand of laundry soap or anything? No signs of insect bites?

You've not washed your bed sheets in a new brand of laundry soap or anything? No signs of insect bites?

No, nothing is new, I've been thinking about that this morning. I did have an orange at about 9 which I don't normally do, that's all I could think of.

Any eveningy people know how allergies work?
I'd never been allergic to anything, until about 5 years ago, when I ate a wine gum and went into anaphylactic shock. I had to have epi pens at hand for years. Then, as quickly as the attacks started, they stopped, so the answer is yes, you can become severely allergic to something you were previously OK with.

I had a very bad reaction to grapefruit a few years ago. Throat and tongue swelled. Lips were swollen and tingling. Never had an issue with grapefruit before that...but in the past I have had allergies (hives and rashes) to pollen, oranges, tomatoes and strawberries.

Since my immunosuppressants have been increased I'm able to eat some of these fruits but I still steer clear of grapefruit.
Someone gave me a body wash for xmas a few years ago. I didnt realise it had grapefruit in it and had a reaction. I check ingredients for grapefruit now on anything I use or eat.

Last edited:
Why are you using 2% salicylic acid on your face? (Or did you mean scalp?) Is it for sebaceous eczema?

Yes, in fact that is pretty much how many allergies work - repeated exposure to an allergen generates an abnormal response.

I now have eczema and am seriously allergic to peanuts, both of these have come about in the last few years. I used to love peanuts, it was likely my fairly high consumption of the things that was at least in part a factor as to what eventually brought about the allergy.

I should add though that if your eyes don't clear up in a couple of days or get worse, go see your pharmacist as it could be conjunctivitis/infection - don't take any risks with your sight!

Yeah. My mum woke up one day last year and discovered that she was allergic to everything on her skin. She had been having treatment for skin cancer but she'd been free of it for ages. It's wise to remember that your skin is one very large organ, like Jeremy Clarkson.

Why are you using 2% salicylic acid on your face? (Or did you mean scalp?) Is it for sebaceous eczema?
I had really bad acne for years and my skin is still super oily, I've only had a few period spots since using it.

My face got really itchy up until I went to sleep, much better this morning.

I'm going to do some patch testing during next week. Leaving my face alone until then.

Good luck lizzieloo and hope it clears up and was just an one-off reaction.

Like others have said, we can develop allergies later in life - just one of those things. Over-use of something can trigger it - tuna is a no-go food for me because of this.

I had really bad acne for years and my skin is still super oily, I've only had a few period spots since using it.

Poor baby! Is it any better now? Never use it again yes, cos allergic reactions tend to get worse with repeated exposure (sensitisation) xx

I had peeling itchy eye skin and a itchy face about this time last year. I'd been using salicylic (not retinol as breastfeeding). I'd been too harsh and done my skin barrier in. But then it turns out I had spotty rosacea so I went to the GP and got it under control.

I'd recommend laying off all 'actives'. Use cerave or cetaphil moisturiser and see how you are in a month or so. Disclaimer that I have no idea except personal experience.

lizzieloo when you wrote woke with swollen face my immediate thought was perhaps you have mumps, because apparently it is going around at the moment, again and swollen faces are typical.

lizzieloo when you wrote woke with swollen face my immediate thought was perhaps you have mumps, because apparently it is going around at the moment, again and swollen faces are typical.
I,ve had mumps, it was everso itchy, it was either a reaction from something or anxiety hives (I've had them before). I think it was reaction.

Back
Top Bottom