Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Camberwell news and chitter-chatter

mango5

Endeavour era
To kick things off, the Silver Buckle appears to have been taken over by "The king of the fairies" :hmm: He seems to know a few Urbs... so what's the story? And does anyone know what's going on with the Grove/Grand Union conversion? And is the Somerfield going to be a Co-op?

used to stomp in camberwell a lot around 96-99, then stopped going there altogether, then a couple of months ago went out for a drink and some food, and happy to see some really good new resteraunts. The Vietnamese resteraunt is under new ownership and the food has got a lot better. Fallafel does some kicking food - if you order all the veggie mezes alongside homemade falaffel you can eat like a Lebanese lord for next to nothing. Not sure about the Tadim refit.
Theres another new TUrksih spot that looks good too...

Also that Chinese resteraunt is real deal authentic Chinese food (according to my Chinese friend) - can barely get in on a Friday night. Cheap too.

So yeah, nice new resteraunts in Camberwell.

Patty Island patties are fantastic.

That new Turkish one (Mangal??) is 'sposed to be good. I've not been there yet. The Silk Road chinese is very authentic, yes. Better to go Mon-Weds if you want to get in. Tadim revamp does not look like a success.

I noticed today that the Tapas(?) place in the Church Street Hotel is advertising for kitchen staff. Is it finally (about 2 years after the refit) going to open? That Portuguese place on Denmark Hill has closed :(

So whats the deal with Silver Buckle - is it still a dodgey boozer with bouncers on the door, or as it been turned into something else. And who is "The king of the fairies"?

Also, how did the Redstar 2.0 work out? I met the Spanish guy who took it over, and between me and you and the internet, I didnt hold out much hope...

Silver Buckle has finally expired, now this 'Oberon' place is coming. Dunno what it is tho.

Redstar was pretty good in places, but patchy. Now it's a Nigerian hangout "Planet Nollywood" and seems to be doing pretty well.

Silk Road (Chinese restaurant) is aces. Not sure what is meant by "authentic" - basically it is food from the Uighur region of China rather than the normal Cantonese fare we are used to here. We went on a Sat night before Jay Rayner reviewed it in the Observer and it was pretty empty. Good to hear it's doing well now.

Am interested in visiting the Vietnamese place as I love Viet food. Little Bay (cafe on Denmark Hill) does very good bahn mi (Vietnamese sandwiches).

The Nags head is closed.. Lovely fronted pub.. Character & charm inside will now be forgotton.

The landlord Bill synan got evicted after 17 years...

If your intrested here is a news article..

http://www.thepublican.com/story.asp?sectioncode=7&storycode=65671&c=1

There was a story about this on the BBC London news - with footage of him in tears, interviews with regulars etc. It was tied to a piece about the mass loss of pubs in general in London in recent years. Was quite sad. :(

Silk Road (Chinese restaurant) is aces. Not sure what is meant by "authentic" - basically it is food from the Uighur region of China rather than the normal Cantonese fare we are used to here. We went on a Sat night before Jay Rayner reviewed it in the Observer and it was pretty empty. Good to hear it's doing well now.

Am interested in visiting the Vietnamese place as I love Viet food. Little Bay (cafe on Denmark Hill) does very good bahn mi (Vietnamese sandwiches).
Your right about "authentic" equating to a different region. I'm going to shoot my sub-editor! I was just quoting my mate on this...

The Vietnamese spot is still pretty shabby inside, and hasn't changed much to the eye since it appeared on Dirtiest Restaurants about 13 years ago (after which it shut down for a spell), but the food is definitely better and less oily than 3 months ago under the old regime. THe family that have taken it over seem very very sweet.

Silver Buckle has finally expired, now this 'Oberon' place is coming. Dunno what it is tho.

Redstar was pretty good in places, but patchy. Now it's a Nigerian hangout "Planet Nollywood" and seems to be doing pretty well.
Interesting news! "Planet Nollywood" <<< :D

As to the Silver Buckle I think it has a pretty dodgey history going back a long way (not unlike the whole of Camberwell!)

South London Radical History Group 'Past Tense', based out 56a Info SHop have amongst all their lovely pamphlets a great title called "RARE DOINGS AT CAMBERWELL". Its online here http://www.alphabetthreat.co.uk/pasttense/camberwell.html but only costs about £1.50 so better to go and pick up a copy from 56a or Housmans have some on occassion too.

Mentions of the Silver Buckle:
Very poor areas (‘Casual, chronic want’) were found behind the Cock in Cock Yard (behind the modern Silver Buckle pub), round yards between the southern bus garage and Denmark Hill, and also in the Sultan Street area (known as Camberwell Mill or Freemans Mill), off Wyndham Road. Several streets here - Crown St, Wyndham road, Pitman Road, and Bethwin Street were said in the 1880s to be “of very bad character... The only policemen venturing there were very foolish policemen.”

Tigers Yard and Joiners Arms Yard, behind the Cock Inn (ie behind the modern Silver Buckle & the Joiners Arms) were among the poorest places in Camberwell in the mid to late 19th century. The people who lived here existed in chronic poverty. Large numbers of families living in a few houses, often unemployed and overcrowded. (These yards were still described as one of the area’s blackspots when demolished in 1930s. There had been much agitation by local Labour councilors to demolish the old overcrowded houses and rehouse the inhabitants, despite much opposition from the Tory controlled Borough Council.)

...sometimes ghosts like this are hard to shift, no matter how dandyish a name you try and impose...

It's been bought by Antic, owners of the DogStar and the East Dulwich Tavern.

Up the hill, the George Canning's reopened after a facelift - the same old drab selection of beers and a couple of quid more on Sunday lunches, which were the old incarnation's only saving grace.

We went along to the opening night of the Grand Union. It was rammed! Well they were giving out free drinks so I guess word spread... I'd like to see what it's like when it's not rammed full of Claphamy people, I've got a feeling it'd be more pleasant. :hmm:

Went to Silk Road the other week on a Friday with a reservation. Great stuff. Definitely going there again.

Where's the Grand Union? The one on Acre Lane is fucking dire.

We went along to the opening night of the Grand Union. It was rammed! Well they were giving out free drinks so I guess word spread... I'd like to see what it's like when it's not rammed full of Claphamy people, I've got a feeling it'd be more pleasant. :hmm:
Are you sure they aren't Camberwelly people? :D

*scarpers*

The Vietnamese spot is still pretty shabby inside, and hasn't changed much to the eye since it appeared on Dirtiest Restaurants about 13 years ago (after which it shut down for a spell), but the food is definitely better and less oily than 3 months ago under the old regime. THe family that have taken it over seem very very sweet.

I remember that :eek: I'd talked about going there 100s of times but never had. God was I relieved. I am sure the new people had a lot to live down :(

I'm not sure about the look of the new Tadim's either :(

I went to Grand Union on Tuesday night and attempted to get served but we walked out after waiting 15+ minutes - its good that its very busy but bad that they take so long to serve.

The problem is all the people ordering cocktails which means that the barman/woman has to spend ages putting a drink together meaning that those of us who just want 'normal' drinks ie beer, wine have to wait. I thought the decor was a bit odd too - not quite sure if its boudoir or pub. Also they only seem to serve burgers which is slightly strange if they are trying to be a high end cocktail bar. Definitely an improvement on the Grove though

Oberon has website http://the-oberon.com/ which has no content

- By the sound of things (based on the other pubs they run) it will be hip and trendy bar/ pub - I hope that it suceeds but fear that it wont be long before it realises that the Camberwell market is not so flash with people looking for cheap drink rather than trendy surroundings

If you want a normal drink go to a normal priced pub. If you want a wanky cocktail with an overpriced burger you go to Grand Union.

Oberon has website http://the-oberon.com/ which has no content

- By the sound of things (based on the other pubs they run) it will be hip and trendy bar/ pub - I hope that it suceeds but fear that it wont be long before it realises that the Camberwell market is not so flash with people looking for cheap drink rather than trendy surroundings

A little rummaging on facebook tells me that DJ Tab of U75 is involved in this. Maybe ask him?

Erm, I found the content free site and facebook links (that's where I got the 'King of the fairies'), and was hoping one of the U75ers might know something and maybe post here. I can see that TAB and others are friends with this person, but I wouldn't assumed they're linked with the Oberon.

It's pretty crap promotion, that site is nothing but a logo and personal farcebook link. A style bar next to Noodel City will be funny.

eta I've just seen that TAB is a group admin... don't remember that when I last looked. The link went to the Fairy King's personal page.

Back
Top Bottom