Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Calls for Olympic Park to stay Open for a Week after Olympics

Minnie_the_Minx

someinenhhanding menbag and me ah bollox
Is it going to close after the games then? I thought there was some waffle about 'legacy'. Still knocking it all down and rebuilding the disused warehouses would be a boon for the free party scene.

The main stadium will be reduced in size. The top half of it will be removed, and I think it'll become a 25,000 seater (or was it 45,000 seater) stadium.

The "fins" of the aquatic centre will be removed I think. Just trying to remember off the top of my head what I heard when that Building the Olympic Stadium programme was on

The main stadium will be reduced in size. The top half of it will be removed, and I think it'll become a 25,000 seater (or was it 45,000 seater) stadium.

The "fins" of the aquatic centre will be removed I think. Just trying to remember off the top of my head what I heard when that Building the Olympic Stadium programme was on
sounds more like the destruction of the olympicks programme.

Is it going to close after the games then? I thought there was some waffle about 'legacy'.

Exciting sporting and commercial opportunities in Her Majesty's name await.

After the Games the Olympic Park will be transformed into the Queen Elizabeth Olympic Park, offering a range of activities from sporting and leisure events, to residential, employment and commercial opportunities.

The Park will go into a period of transformation immediately after the Games to remove the Games-time infrastructure and prepare the Park and its remaining Olympic and Paralympic venues for all to enjoy. The transformation is expected to take up to 18 months, with a phased approach that will see sections of the Park opened to the public from summer 2013 onwards.

http://www.culture.gov.uk/what_we_do/2012_olympic_games_and_paralympic_games/3427.aspx/

ah, found this on the Aquatics Centre

Aquatics Centre
The Aquatics Centre will be transformed into a facility for the local community, clubs and schools, as well as elite swimmers, attracting an anticipated 800,000 visitors a year. All the pools have moveable booms and floors to create different depths and pool sizes, so it can be used by swimmers of all abilities and experience. After the Games, the venue’s operator after the Games will be Greenwich Leisure Limited
The two temporary wings will be removed – reducing its capacity to 2,500 – although it will be possible to increase the venue capacity for major competitions.

The venue will also feature a creche, family-friendly changing facilities and a cafe, alongside a new public plaza in front of the building.

Velodrome
Legacy was at the forefront of the design and build of the Velodrome. After the Games, the venue will be handed over to the Lee Valley Regional Park Authority and form the heart of a new VeloPark for use by the local community, clubs and elite athletes.

The VeloPark will also include the reconfigured BMX track, a new mountain bike track and a new road cycle circuit, as well as a cafe, bike hire and cycle workshop facilities.

Olympic Stadium
After the Games
The Stadium is designed to be flexible enough to accommodate a number of different requirements and capacities in legacy. It will retain athletics at its core, and also be a venue for other sporting, cultural and community events.

It will be the venue for the 2015 IAAF World Championships

The London Legacy Development Corporation and Mayor of London Boris Johnson have taken the decision to keep the Stadium under public ownership.

Basketball Arena
After the Games
The Basketball Arena will be taken down after the Games. Parts of it are expected to be reused or relocated elsewhere.

BMX Track
After the Games
After the Games, the temporary seating will be removed and the BMX Track will be reconfigured to make it suitable for riders of all ages and abilities.

The BMX Track and Velodrome will be joined by a new road cycle circuit and mountain bike course to create the Lee Valley VeloPark, combining cycling facilities across all disciplines in one cycling ‘hub’.

The facility will be owned, managed and funded by the Lee Valley Regional Park Authority.

Copper Box
After the Games
The Copper Box will become a multi-use sports centre for community use, athlete training and events, operated by Greenwich Leisure Limited.

Its flexible design and retractable seating mean it will be suitable for activities ranging from international competition to community sports, and for a wide range of indoor sports, including basketball, handball, badminton, boxing, martial arts, netball, table tennis, wheelchair rugby and volleyball.

A health and fitness club with changing facilities and a cafe for use by the local community are also planned.

Temporary areas used for the media and technology equipment during the Games will be converted to provide extra spectator facilities. The athletes’ changing rooms will be adapted to create more family-friendly and accessible changing areas.

Water Polo Arena
After the Games
The lightweight venue will be taken down after the Games, and elements of the venue are expected to be reused or relocated elsewhere.

Who paid for the stadia?

If it was the British public, shouldn't we get a say in what happens to them? :hmm:

Would be good if they let people use the facilities.

Reminds me of my dad saying he played at Tannadice (DUFC stadium). He was doing some building work there and they had a kick around at lunch time.

Oh, surprised about the stadium. I'm sure when I watched the building on that, they'd designed it so after the Olympics it was transformed into a 25,000 seater. Maybe I misheard :hmm:
One of the larger football clubs wouldn't want it if the capacity was reduced that much.

I reckon one of the venues that is going to be pulled down should be made into a Sports Museum
Seems like it is just the basketball arena and water polo indoor venues that are going. if they were to turn anything into an Olympic or sport museum that it might be the megastore.

One of the larger football clubs wouldn't want it if the capacity was reduced that much.

Well that's what I thought.

Anyway, glad I didn't imagine it, but may have just misinterpreted info

The firm, which also designed the Olympic Stadium in Sydney, decided to create the stadium with 25,000 seats that are meant to be permanent and 55,000 that can be easily removed after the Games. The stadium uses a fraction of the steel contained in those from previous years, making it lighter and easier to alter. Fewer concession stands were built into the structure, instead relying on temporary shops outside the stadium. Also, the architects plan to use fabric coverings, rather than permanent materials, to add color and life to the design.

Seems like it is just the basketball arena and water polo indoor venues that are going. if they were to turn anything into an Olympic or sport museum that it might be the megastore.

Yeah, but is that really big enough?

I went inside and took a wander but left as it was too packed and queues were huge :D

Also, the fate of the Press and Broadcasting Centres hasn't been decided yet. Reckon one of them could become a conference centre

Back
Top Bottom