Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Bubble and squeak

Fuzzy

Hearts Cov
having just had bubble and squeak made from the left overs of yesterday's Sunday dinner it made me wonder who else still eats it. if you do, how do you do it, what proportion of potatoes to other veg, things that have no place in bubble, fried, any extras? tell me all about your bubble muddlings.

Food of the gods.

Weekly dish when my kids were at home. Best way to get veg down them. Still have it at least once a month.

1980's Scouse Style. Mashed up Sunday leftovers fried in the pan with some lard. Served with beans and a snotty fried egg on top.
1990's UNi Food. As above but with any chilli sauce you could find in someone else's cupboard.
2000's Extravagant Style. Mix in a tin of corn beef and cover with grated cheese. Dash of balsamic before finishing off under the grill.
2020's Empty nest Style. Mash into patty on Monday mornings and freeze in slabs seperated by grease proof paper for serving fried with a FEB.
Current middle class arrival preference. Fried in a pan with some olive oil, chorizo or sardines, finely sliced shallots, bit of basil, cracked black pepper, pinch of sea salt, dusting of parmigiana and a a glass of Grande Cru.

I still tell my Dad I have it with beans and snotty eggs though.

Food of the gods.

Weekly dish when my kids were at home. Best way to get veg down them. Still have it at least once a month.

1980's Scouse Style. Mashed up Sunday leftovers fried in the pan with some lard. Served with beans and a snotty fried egg on top.
1990's UNi Food. As above but with any chilli sauce you could find in someone else's cupboard.
2000's Extravagant Style. Mix in a tin of corn beef and cover with grated cheese. Dash of balsamic before finishing off under the grill.
2020's Empty nest Style. Mash into patty on Monday mornings and freeze in slabs seperated by grease proof paper for serving fried with a FEB.
Current middle class arrival preference. Fried in a pan with some olive oil, chorizo or sardines, finely sliced shallots, bit of basil, cracked black pepper, pinch of sea salt, dusting of parmigiana and a a glass of Grande Cru.

I still tell my Dad I have it with beans and snotty eggs though.
i like your style.

do you call it bubble and squeak? my wife who'se from north Yorkshire calls it fry up whilst me being a southerner it's defo bubble.

These are mashed up left over veg, formed into patties and fried in butter as a veg - if adding to a FEB then fry in fat off smoked bacon.

So, spuds are the base veg, with added carrots / swede / brassica, seasoned with salt & black pepper - plus I would add some pre-fried onion.

Yeah, as night follows day, Monday bubble follows Sunday roast. Had it tonight.

Leftover veg mashed and fried, with an egg atop. Loads of ketchup. Wrt to quantities/ratios, aim for 50% roast potatoes, swede is a necessity, and something green, preferably of the brassica family (kale, cabbage, sprouts, etc..) It's a forgiving dish and half the allure is that no two bubbles are the same.

I think it makes me fart lots too.

Not a massive fan of bubble and squeak tbh.
It's ok and I would eat it if it was put in front me (like most things tbh! I've been through periods of hunger and will rarely say no to food when offered) but I can't really work up any enthusiasm for it and wouldn't specifically ask for it.
In terms of leftovers from a roast dinner, I usually prefer to do something different with them (curry!), bubble wouldn't be my number 1 choice.

Love a bubble & squeak, but haven't had it for a while due to any leftover roast potatoes not hanging around long enough :mad:
One of the allotment holders in our village seems to grow nothing but potatoes and cabbage - we refer to him as Mr Bubble & Squeak :D

Don't do roasts, so 'leftovers' are a dim memory but I still make it for myself now and then; brown sauce and fried egg on top. I will try cheese though - thank you thread.
My kids hated it; the youngest was being prescribed antibiotics and assured the doctor that she did have allergies, despite mother saying otherwise, she was allergic to bubble and squeak.

Make it whenever I get leftover veg. Egg on top. Perfect.

There's no perfect recipe, it's just whatever you have left. Sometimes loads of potatoes, sometimes a bit of swede, peas, whatever. All good.

I'm not a roast dinner lover and Portuguese bacon is a different beast from Danish bacon but when I have the opportunity to buy decent bacon or sausages I make it. Mashed potato with savoy cabbage and spring onion with a bit of brown sauce . Got to have the burnt crispy bits .

Reminds me of when after I left school I was working on the buildings and at this Italian greasy spoon which was always rammed with building workers you'd hear the bloke shouting the orders out to the kitchen "double the the bubble"

I love bubble and squeak and have it pretty much never, cooked potatoes don't hang around this house long enough. My ideal version is without swede (don't like it) and with fried onions. A little bit of good ketchup on the side, perhaps. Or a side of beans / fried tempeh.

I've never had it - it's filed away in my mind in the 'weird Southern food' category, with saveloys and eels.

I love bubble and squeak. Sometimes I cook extra veg so that I have plenty to make it. If it is on a cafe breakfast menu I will have it.

I thought I'd never had it and always wondered exactly what it was but my wife does this with leftovers when I've cooked a Sunday roast so I have been eating it without knowing (and she doesn't know what it's called either)

Back
Top Bottom