Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Bubble and Squeak

King Edwards, Savoy Cabbage. That's your basic.
I usually serve on Boxing Day with any other veggies left over, mashed swede and carrot is good, Brussels are more than acceptable, to accompany cold turkey.
oh yes, bubbble with cold meat YUM!!!

I've got a craving for bubble and squeak, gonna have some in a big brunch.

Would it work with sweet potato instead?

what is it? Just fried up left-overs? It sounds revolting! I don't think we have it in the North.

That sort of thing was common when I was a kid to use up leftovers. Not had it for years though. You could even have it in a buttered barm if you wanted - that would be a nice carb hit.

The latter. And there are many different hemlocks, of course.

My slight quibble is with the interesting idea that a meal or any particular foodstuff (or anything at all, really), is "a bit healthier though because it has green stuff in it.

Having some green stuff in it is not a sufficient condition for "being a bit healthier". I think there are some shops that sell green paint. I can't claim ever to have eaten any, to be fair, therefore I don't know if it is good for the health.

(Disclosure: I do like potatoey cabbagey things, o yes)

The latter. And there are many different hemlocks, of course.

My slight quibble is with the interesting idea that a meal or any particular foodstuff (or anything at all, really), is "a bit healthier though because it has green stuff in it.

Having some green stuff in it is not a sufficient condition for "being a bit healthier". I think there are some shops that sell green paint. I can't claim ever to have eaten any, to be fair, therefore I don't know if it is good for the health.

(Disclosure: I do like potatoey cabbagey things, o yes)

Pretty sure green paint isn't too good for you. :hmm:

I more or less live on bubble and squeak - except that it's boiled and not fried.
I find soy sauce and tahini helps greatly.
I'm sure you occasionally eat things with more protein and vitamins and all that.

Anyway, you can have fun extolling the joys of Bubble and Squeak to your future neighbours in France.
:)

In terms of vitamins - you'd be hard put to beat sprouts, broccoli and kale.
Sprouts are rumoured to be contraindicated if you're on blood thinners because of the vitamin K.
They should be at the top of everyone's list.

My current practice :-

Day one -(I use a pressure cooker, but rarely get up much pressure in it.)

1kg of Charlotte spuds
500g sprouts
500g chantenay carrots
When cooked I chuck in a couple of cans of diet lentil soup.

Day 2 - reheat - often adding a pack of tenderstem broccoli and/or Cavallo Nero kale.

Day 3 - reheat - adding another can of soup and a finely-chopped head of broccoli.

served with tamari, tahini and chutney, sometimes pine nuts.

Kale is a killer ingredient for B&S. Haven't tried Cavello Nero though - could also be a winner :thumbs:.

I think it would be fantastic in bubble (the thing I have cooked it in is smoked haddock risotto, it's not a dish I would have thought of had I not had a substitution of smoked haddock arrive, but it was fucking lovely and I can imagine it going equally well in a bubble.

When I was trying to be more omnivorous, I would break an egg over my cooked veggies and rely on their heat to cook it.

Darn. I can't rationalise egg eating .. perhaps I'll take on rescue chickens when I retire.

Last edited:
When I was trying to be more omnivorous, I would break an egg over my cooked veggies and rely on their heat to cook it.

Darn. I can't rationalise egg eating .. perhaps I'll take on rescue chickens when I retire.

I completely understand a rejection of the poor welfare of some chickens for the purposes of egg production, but I have always wanted to have a garden and a couple of chickens - I like birds, I like eggs, and a hen will usually lay an egg every other day without any encouragement, and if it's not fertilised then it's just going to go to waste. So keeping hens in a life of luxury and eating the eggs is something I am ok with tbh. It depends really on your view on keeping animals as pets I guess, if you are fine with it then having pet hens is no different than having any other pet.

Last edited:
In terms of vitamins - you'd be hard put to beat sprouts, broccoli and kale.
Sprouts are rumoured to be contraindicated if you're on blood thinners because of the vitamin K.
They should be at the top of everyone's list.

My current practice :-

Day one -(I use a pressure cooker, but rarely get up much pressure in it.)

1kg of Charlotte spuds
500g sprouts
500g chantenay carrots
When cooked I chuck in a couple of cans of diet lentil soup.

Day 2 - reheat - often adding a pack of tenderstem broccoli and/or Cavallo Nero kale.

Day 3 - reheat - adding another can of soup and a finely-chopped head of broccoli.

served with tamari, tahini and chutney, sometimes pine nuts.
It was you who coined the term "vegetable slop" wasn't it? :D

I confess that it tends to degenerate into "grey goo" if I keep my "pottage" going all week.
After 3 days I usually add rice - sometimes of the "Mexican" variety.
I'll try to remember to take photos next time I start a new batch.

I confess that it tends to degenerate into "grey goo" if I keep my "pottage" going all week.
After 3 days I usually add rice - sometimes of the "Mexican" variety.
I'll try to remember to take photos next time I start a new batch.
"Pottage" makes it sound quite nice :)

Back
Top Bottom