Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Bubble and Squeak

pigtails

putting the tit in titilate
Just had awesome bubble and squeak for tea.

Made with cabbage with smoked garlic and bacon and buttery mash from last night
:cool:

Leek is also a good addition, what's your fave B&S additions??

leftover mash, brussels, cabbage and/or carrots..........dash of worcester sauce !

mmm mmmmmmmmm mmmmmmmmmmmmmm

Never rated it. If I want leftovers I'll eat them off of the unfinished plate of seconds from last night.

I have never made bubble and squeak. Must try it soon. How do you stop it falling apart?

I have never made bubble and squeak. Must try it soon. How do you stop it falling apart?

It doesn't matter, it's not supposed to be all perfect.....plenty mash in the mix and press it down well in the frying pan.......mmmmmm

Caraway seeds, mustard seeds and slices of chorizo (thickness of a pound coin).

I really do have to getting around to making this for my kids. It's part of their heritage, after all.

*goes back to read helpful cooking hints*

someone coulda told me I had spelt garlic wrong :oops:

bet you were all there laughing about it behind my back!!
cunts
:mad:

Can i just say i've always treated B&S as something you kinda make up as you go along....no recipe or nufink !

This ^^^,however the core must be mashed spud and a beaten egg.Add,peas,corn,cabbage,carrot,leeks or zuccini.Salt and pepper to taste with a dollop of tomato sauce.

No non no non no. IMHO core ingredients are precooked spud (doesn't have to be mashed, you can squish it a bit when you mix it with everything else in the pan) and precooked greens of some sort. They have to be precooked and allowed to go cold, it's not the same if you use them while still warm.

I genuinely get angry when bubble and squeek is not made with brussels...cabbage just does not cut it I am afraid...

Or when pubs say they are making bubble and squeek but instead make mashed potato with cabbage...

Basically for me it's simpe...nice precooked cold potatoes (generally from roasting - Maris Piper or King Edwards), precooked Brussels...mash them together...add salt and pepper then fry it in a pan, slightly flatened until you get some nice brown burnt bits which you then stir through....perfect.

Serviced with cold meats and pickles.

I genuinely get angry when bubble and squeek is not made with brussels...cabbage just does not cut it I am afraid...

Or when pubs say they are making bubble and squeek but instead make mashed potato with cabbage...

Serviced with cold meats and pickles.
It can be made with anything, but I always think of the standard B&S having cabbage in rather than srpouts.

It can be made with anything, but I always think of the standard B&S having cabbage in rather than srpouts.

Just not the same :(

I always think of the standard as having sprouts but I suppose that is what I was brought up on..

I get particularly angry when it is not fried in a pan...surely this is what the bubble and the squeek refers to? (If I am wrong I will be embarassed)

King Edwards, Savoy Cabbage. That's your basic.
I usually serve on Boxing Day with any other veggies left over, mashed swede and carrot is good, Brussels are more than acceptable, to accompany cold turkey. Or in little patties in the frying pan with a little brown sauce.
Oh yum!

what is it? Just fried up left-overs? It sounds revolting! I don't think we have it in the North.
I can't believe this! It's reached Australia but not Manchester. :D

It's delicious and veggie, you should try it.

Back
Top Bottom