Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

BT Digital Voice change-over

Puddy_Tat

naturally fluffy
Having paused the change over to 'digital voice' (landline over the internet), because of issues including you don't get a phone signal if the mains power goes off, BT have started it again (from what i can gather, without addressing any of the issues)

Mum-tat has had initial letter saying it's coming at some unspecified point soon, and is quite concerned about it all.

She currently has broadband, but it's over the existing copper telephone line.

The main difficulty I can see is getting the main socket, mains power and computer anywhere near each other. Like most older houses, the main phone socket is in the downstairs hallway, and there isn't a mains power socket near it. At the moment, this has a landline handset plugged in to it - it's not used that often, but does have the advantage that it works if the mains power goes off (so maybe there isn't really a need for a handset there after the change.)

She had an additional telephone socket put in on the upstairs landing some years ago (I can't remember if this was done by BT or someone independent), at the moment, this has a (telephone) wire run to the room that's 'home office' - this is split via an ADSL filter to a cordless phone (base unit) and a BT home hub, which in turn is connected to her PC.

There is a second cordless phone (not connected to a phone socket, presume it picks up signal from the base unit upstairs - this is a level of tech I've not got in to) in the living room downstairs.

Changing to a different provider is not an option (and would probably be even more hassle than dealing with this) and nor is giving up having a landline phone. Internet connection is pretty much an essential, it's mum-tat's main link with the outside world, and she does most of her shopping online now.

My understanding is that there isn't an opt-out from this.

I didn't have any issues with the change over when it happened here - I was already on fibre broadband so I just had to make a few changes to what was plugged in to where and it was all quite painless.

The difficulty is getting mains power, hub and computer close to each other.

Am I right in thinking BT will only change over the main socket in the hall to become the 'main socket' and the current modem / hub thing will have to be located there? I can see a way of getting mains power there, which will involve an extension lead which is going to be faintly untidy but will work in the short term.

Mum-tat's PC has wi-fi capability, so would have to talk to the hub via wi-fi, which is better than nothing, but not going to be as good as having it plugged in to the hub.

Longer term, I think it would be possible to get an independent engineer (I realise that work on telecoms wiring inside the house doesn't have to be done by BT any more) to do something so that the socket upstairs becomes the 'main socket' then just run an ethernet (instead of telephone) wire from that to where the modem is now, plug main phone and computer in to the hub, and everything will be fine.

My inclination is -

1 - contact BT and ask what they are actually going to do - will they only convert the downstairs socket or will they do the upstairs one?

2 - assuming they say they won't make the upstairs socket the 'main socket' then need to find an independent engineer who will do the necessary, and see whether there's anything they can do before BT do their thing or whether we are going to need a temporary solution once the switch-over happens.

Can anyone shed any more light on this? Or spot any flaws in my understanding / idea?

Computer doesn't need to be next to the base unit. It has an ethernet port on it so you can run ethernet cable to the computer.

You could get a small ups to keep the fibre system operational in the event of a power cut if mum-tatt gets lots of power cuts.

Your mum has a copper pair or wires coming into her home. The pair carries voice, and broadband DSL is overlaid onto the same pair.

Openreach are doing away with traditional (analogue (and digital but let's not go there)) voice. Services will be offered over IP (Voice over IP (VoIP).

You'll either get real fibre into the home (not the "fibre" you were told was fibre ages ago, that was a lie) or if they can't do that in time, they'll convert the service to SoGEA. The analogue voice service will cease, the broadband will still work over the same copper pair (or real fibre if available).

Your mum's phone service (and number) can be "ported" onto VoIP, but that's no good if she has analog phones and old copper internal wiring. Only an IP phone plugged into the router will work (or an old analogue phone if the router has a "POTS" port).

You could try asking BT if they offer voice reinjection. If you're handy you could follow this guide and DIY it

Or search for "BT voice reinjection", there's going to be a load of stuff about it on the BT forum but beware, it's full of morons.

Computer doesn't need to be next to the base unit. It has an ethernet port on it so you can run ethernet cable to the computer.

Thanks.

Yes, that might be a possible, although that's going to mean combination of slightly awkward extension lead to get mains power to the hub / base unit, and then awkward ethernet cable from there to a room upstairs - don't want to create any risk of trip hazard, so would have to be tacked / taped to picture rails and so on, but yes, that's certainly one short term option (that would mean the PC doesn't have to do wi-fi)

You could get a small ups to keep the fibre system operational in the event of a power cut if mum-tatt gets lots of power cuts.
OFCOM have stated that Openreach are to provide power resilience free-of-charge to vulnerable people, this is a small UPS they call a BBU (Back-Up Battery). Puddy_Tat you should ask your mum's provider (BT) about this.

OFCOM have stated that Openreach are to provide power resilience free-of-charge to vulnerable people, this is a small UPS they call a BBU (Back-Up Battery). Puddy_Tat you should ask your mum's provider (BT) about this.

Thanks - that's probably not all that big a deal, she does have a mobile, which she carries with her and keeps by the bed, but yes, may be worth asking about that.

PM if you like, I deal with VoIP a lot. Also I seem to recall @ruffneck23 does installs for Openreach so he might have better practical advice.

Thanks - I'll have a think about it once I've read what you linked to.

I'm with Zen - it was actually easy to change over to VoIP (or it would have been if they hadn't just done it so I got a message on the phone that it wasn't connected and I had to work out why). I've got a UPS for the computer which I've connected the phone into. As WouldBe said you can get battery backup and as keybored said vulnerable people should get power resiliance.

My mum has a "care alarm" thingy at her house that won't work on the new voip system so that's delayed it for her until they figure out what to do about it. I've yet to be contacted by BT about getting a voip phone for my house despite having an anologue landline (with broadband). As i use my mobile for 99% of calls i'm not that worried about it though.

PM if you like, I deal with VoIP a lot. Also I seem to recall ruffneck23 does installs for Openreach so he might have better practical advice.
Ah unfortunately i havent been doing that since 2021, and it was for BT, open reach do outside the houses, we did the insides and just the very basics, sorry!

My mum has a "care alarm" thingy at her house that won't work on the new voip system so that's delayed it for her until they figure out what to do about it. I've yet to be contacted by BT about getting a voip phone for my house despite having an anologue landline (with broadband). As i use my mobile for 99% of calls i'm not that worried about it though.
I asked Zen to remove the landline from the service completely, the monthly bill is now around £8 cheaper.

The fact is, everything that used to run on some analogue system which can be replaced by some more cost efficient internet-based alternative is now under threat. Not only phones, but also TV (analogue UHF already gone), cable/satellite will be next already being displaced by IP delivered TV 'puck' devices, radio (LW/MW and FM will all eventually go), local/national newspapers, magazines, and of course physical shops, bank branches, train ticket stations, and actual human voices in call centers.

We just live in a world where if you don't have and can't use a smartphone, you're now a second class citizen. On one hand this is the inevitable price of progress, and there's never not been a time in recent history where technological advances have not been in a state of flux, but then there are things like a landline phone (and analogue radio) which have just been a constant for over a century. The idea that you could still until now plug in an old analogue phone to a socket and not need any electric, is to many especially old people, one of those givens in life.

Then again basic mobile phones have been around for quite a while and I don't have a lot of time for anyone who without a good reason, was perfectly able to learn to use one who hasn't. But that still doesn't excuse BT for overlooking stuff like alarms for elderly/venerable people, rural areas that can't get signal, or not putting contingency measures in place for people who simply cannot just 'switch' to this new system. They have the money, but they've just chosen to ignore the problem for the most part.

I asked Zen to remove the landline from the service completely, the monthly bill is now around £8 cheaper.
You're using mobile for calls instead of landline and even with call and data download charges it's £8 cheaper?

Eta: no you can't mean that - but what Zen services are you now paying for with no landline?

Just for interest for me really, though, there's no mobile reception where I am so I don't have a choice. I do also like not having mobile reception - it means that visitors (not that I get any now :) ) aren't off talking on their mobile all the time.

Care line providers are gradually replacing the old analogue alarms with new digital alarms. These work independently from everything else and have built in rechargeable batteries which will work for about 48 hours if power goes down. They are dependent on good mobile signals which are not perfect.
A more fundamental problem from Puddy_Tat and others viewpoint is cordless phones do not work without electricity.

Eta: no you can't mean that - but what Zen services are you now paying for with no landline?

Just the Internet with no voice (SoGEA)

You'll either get real fibre into the home (not the "fibre" you were told was fibre ages ago, that was a lie) or if they can't do that in time, they'll convert the service to SoGEA. The analogue voice service will cease, the broadband will still work over the same copper pair (or real fibre if available).
I'm still paying an element of line rental - I must be because Openreach own the copper wires that come into my home and Zen has to rent those wires from them. But the analogue voice service is removed, leaving just VDSL. We never used it so didn't even need to keep the number.

Having given it a bit more thought, think the least crap option (assuming that BT will only convert the downstairs hallway socket) would be to run an ethernet cable from there to the hub upstairs as a shortish term thing, and then see about getting the upstairs socket converted to a 'main socket' as a longer term thing. That way, the hub will be near a mains power supply and near the computer.

Checkatrade has brought up an independent engineer or two who say they can move main sockets, so think we can do that if BT won't, which will deal with it.

Any flaws anyone can spot in this cunning plan are welcome.

You could try asking BT if they offer voice reinjection. If you're handy you could follow this guide and DIY it

I've read all that, and while it looks interesting, I'm not sure I want to attempt anything like that, and think it's a solution to a different problem. I've got a fairly basic / cheap phone handset (that I had before digital voice) that works fine plugged in to the back of my BT hub (this part of the world went to digital voice a year or two back). So fairly sure that the phone handset or master cordless phone that mum-tat has already got will do that.

We may lose the ability to have a landline phone in the hall, but the only real reason to keep that phone (at the moment) is it works without mains power unlike the pair of cordless ones, and that advantage will disappear.

(as an aside, I used to know a telecoms engineer who wouldn't have anything more modern than a GPO 300 at home, and would no doubt have been converting his to work on VOIP. He's the same person I've mentioned elsewhere who built something so he could play DVDs of old telly through a restored 405 line black and white TV. I would have asked him, but he's no longer in a position to ask anything.)

My mum has a "care alarm" thingy at her house that won't work on the new voip system so that's delayed it for her until they figure out what to do about it.

mum-tat doesn't have any sort of alarm, so don't have to think about that. she does carry her mobile round with her. I might also suggest getting a power bank so she can recharge that if there's a power cut.

I don't have any practical advice, but I am following this thread with interest - my parents live in a very rural part of Surrey (in a dip iykwim!) and have no mobile signal at their home, frequent power cuts, and their phone moved to over the internet - so if their power goes out, which it does from time to time, their router goes down, and they are completely fucking cut off and can't even call emergency services if need be (and my mum has a heart condition).

Rural Cornwall with similar here. I've got an uninterruptible power supply that gives me about 10 minutes to shut my computer down in a power cut. The phone's connected into it and will give me several hours. Really worthwhile.

Something like this (don't know what that particular one is like though).

The loss of resilience on a national scale of this move can't be dismissed. Exchanges have battery backups for days usage and will power a simple phone on the other end of the line.

Most cell towers especially those in rural areas have no backups at all so while a mobile might help if your local substation goes in a town or a city in a village where the cell tower is likely powered from the same place and your only in reach of one tower it isn't a viable backup.

Thinking of the power cuts in Surrey a few years ago where lines blew down and it took a few weeks to reconnect some villages that's now a significant time with no comms, no way of calling the emergency services.

I accept copper needs to go but a duty to provide redundant power for the mobile networks should have been made.

Just been having a look on bt's website to try and sort out fibre to the home as I'm fed up of crackling on the phone line and broadband dropping out. The full fibre 100 says it's dedicated fibre to the premises but later on it says the smart hub will fit through your letterbox and you simply plug it in which sounds like fibre to the cabinet which I've already got.

Anyone know which it is?

Puddy_Tat the order gave the option of a battery backup (which sounds like it's fibre to the property) but they only do it with a digital phone included at £85 :eek:

as I'm fed up of crackling on the phone line

35013aeb676f2297ebea7df50e11c8da.jpg

:p

Anyone know which it is?

The full fibre 100 says it's dedicated fibre to the premises but later on it says the smart hub will fit through your letterbox and you simply plug it in which sounds like fibre to the cabinet which I've already got.

dunno.

i think they need to do something inside your place to do fibre internets - do you plug everything in to a telephone type socket, or do you have a separate socket for internet now?

Had a (brief) power cut tonight, the phone downstairs said 'no base station' the phone upstairs which has the battery backup said 'searching for base station' but the phone upstairs is the fucking base station so no phone :rolleyes:

Just been having a look on bt's website to try and sort out fibre to the home as I'm fed up of crackling on the phone line and broadband dropping out. The full fibre 100 says it's dedicated fibre to the premises but later on it says the smart hub will fit through your letterbox and you simply plug it in which sounds like fibre to the cabinet which I've already got.

Anyone know which it is?

Puddy_Tat the order gave the option of a battery backup (which sounds like it's fibre to the property) but they only do it with a digital phone included at £85 :eek:
Never had fibre installed at home but at work an engineer visited to install a bt fibre "box" and the isp sent us a router by courier which we had to plug into bt's box so it maybe something like that.

Anyone know which it is?

If it's 100Mbps it can only be full fibre (FTTP) or G.Fast

Back
Top Bottom