Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Brussels, Belgium - discussion, travel tips and chat

Does anyone know what customs checks are like on the Eurostar? I'm thinking about pushing the guidelines on the baccy.

Does anyone know what customs checks are like on the Eurostar? I'm thinking about pushing the guidelines on the baccy.
I have never been checked. Tho am usually there for work so have suit and don't fuck with me expression in place....

And HMRC can stick their 'guidelines' up their arse.

As an EU citizen you can take as much as you fucking well like back with you.

Taking multiple brands suggests you are bringing gifts back for others, or even taking paid orders, both of which are no-nos. But up to 6 months worth of baccy all of the same brand and they can't fucking touch you. As baccy tends to go off after 6 months, more than that and it is suspect.

I already have a queue of people asking me for shit that I have said no to I am afraid. Being completely selfish in this trip I am ;)

You would be much better off going to Bruges/Brugge. Less travelling time I think, although I've never done it by train. A large town rather than a city with a lovely centre that you could lose yourself in for a few hours, or if you prefer a few days. I don't really have any advice for your planned smuggling other than I don't do it after seeing someone being carted off non too gently by British customs officers. They've seen it all so don't take the piss.

:)

In a couple of weeks I am going to Brussels on the Eurostar for a day trip. This is mainly a fancy tobacco run. I get there about 11 in the morning and the train home is about 7.30, so what should I do while I am there?

I will need to find somewhere to purchase my tobacco, preferably Old Holburn, and at a competitive rate, maybe a supermarket of something?

! will need to have a nice lunch, somehwere with good people watching potential?

Is there anywhere good to go shopping? with quirky / crafty type stuff?

Is there a nice park to take a wander through?

Any museums near the station that are worth a look?

Not sure which station you're going to arrive at; but I'd go to the Magritte Museum, then spend the rest of the day in one of the bar/cafes in the narrow streets just off the Grand Place.

You would be much better off going to Bruges/Brugge. Less travelling time I think, although I've never done it by train. A large town rather than a city with a lovely centre that you could lose yourself in for a few hours, or if you prefer a few days. I don't really have any advice for your planned smuggling other than I don't do it after seeing someone being carted off non too gently by British customs officers. They've seen it all so don't take the piss.

:)

Liege is a lot nicer than Bruges / Brugge - 10% of the tourists and no crap chocolate / lace shops etc. Plus trams , plus nice pubs / resturaunts.

I've got part of an afternoon and all evening to kill in Brussels next week. I'm on my own staying near the EC. This thread isn't filling me with joy.

Liege is a lot nicer than Bruges / Brugge - 10% of the tourists and no crap chocolate / lace shops etc. Plus trams , plus nice pubs / resturaunts.

Really I found Bruges to be a lovely place, and it was easy to lose the tourists by just stepping down a side street. I wish I'd known about Liege when I was travelling through Belgium to Germany. Maybe something for the future :)

The train from London arrives in Brussels.

But you can use your eurostar ticket for any, immediate, onward journey to another destination. From Brussels you could then jump on a train to Bruges, it's an hour trip. This means you can't stay in Brussels though, but I'd consider that a bonus.

But you can use your eurostar ticket for any, immediate, onward journey to another destination. From Brussels you could then jump on a train to Bruges, it's an hour trip. This means you can't stay in Brussels though, but I'd consider that a bonus.

Not any more you can't.

About 2 years ago they scrapped the automatic entitlement to use your Eurostar ticket on to any Belgian station. You can still get one that covers onward travel to anywhere in Belgium, but I've yet to come across one that doesn't work out cheaper to just buy a ticket from Brussels to where you need to go.

Which is a shame.

Baccy costs the same everywhere as it's stamped price. I recall the Morte Subite being a decent bar, also one called the Beer Circus (some of the strongest artisan beers available are on their menu). The Grand Place has lots of pavement caffs etc but at this time of year might not be sitting out weather. Also beware of pickpockets and the old yoghurt on the shoulder trick (another pickpocketing ploy). I agree with those who say Brussels is a bit shite. Go to Bruge instead.

I just had a pleasant evening in Brussels. They seem to be enjoying their summer in October, so it's shorts and T shirts weather and alfresco dining at the moment.

I'm staying in the middle of Euroland so took a stroll through Leopold park and had some drinks and dinner around Jourdan square. It seems pretty lively, but that might have something to do with the freakish weather. Food and drink seem a bit on the pricey side though, but I was in Berlin all last week and that was great value for money.

Some pics from a short visit to Brussels

brussels-street-photos-2019-01.jpg

brussels-street-photos-2019-03.jpg

brussels-street-photos-2019-05.jpg

brussels-street-photos-2019-06.jpg

In photos: a quick walk around Brussels – stickers, street art and architecture

Back
Top Bottom