Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Brussels, Belgium - discussion, travel tips and chat

I've only been there once...I went with my bezzer to meet someone we'd met in Turkey.
He palmed us off on a friend of his who took us to some weird freshers week thing (I think? :hmm: ) at the university where they had a bath full of blood with a sheeps head sat at the end of it.....drinking games...people sitting in it blah blah blah :confused:

We went to some sort of all night racing event, too....wtf? :confused:

The best bit was the train there from Amsterdam, when we unwittingly sat either side of a hidden sliding door in the corridor that separated us once the train left the station (you prob had to be there....zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz) fucking LOLs!!! :D

Brussels is most probably a lovely place though, tbf. :cool: :) :confused:

I liked Brussels. Sort of quaint, quite friendly. Excellent beer, of course. Magritte.

Mannequin Pis was a bit of a dissapointment though: a midget statue.

My best friend lived here:
property-graphics-_1091847a.jpg

I lived here
tervurenmarktsmall.jpg

I wouldn't describe it as rough.

I enjoyed it. Spent three weeks there. Great bar, dj's, beer. I presume that can be classed as a cultural visit.

A difficult city to like in my opinion - not much greenery - and plenty of dodgy characters around Midi Station and much else. An acquired taste I am advised.

Hi,
Its city of joy with different color of faces!
You could say the same about the city nearest to Pingu's home, or London at times. Sorry, but racial diversity no longer makes somewhere exotic.

So I've not been for a few years now. The last time I went was 2008. I'm going in four weeks and staying near the European Parliament.

Anyone have any suggestions for good, and reasonable priced (cheap) pubs or restaurants? Generally, I have a walk down the small lanes near Grand Place and take advantage of the offers random waiters offer you on their doorstep.

Im pretty comfortable using the trams and subway, so locations aren't too much of an issue.

Thanks!

"Cheap" and "Brussels" aren't two ideas I'd expect to find in the same sentence, but *shrug* you've stayed there (instead of just changed there) more recently than me.

Rick's on Avenue Louise was the Eurocrat/well heeled ex-pat hang out when I lived there. Comme Chez Soi just off Ave. Stalingrad is also good.

I wouldn't bother with any of the tourist tat round the GP.

So I've not been for a few years now. The last time I went was 2008. I'm going in four weeks and staying near the European Parliament.

Anyone have any suggestions for good, and reasonable priced (cheap) pubs or restaurants? Generally, I have a walk down the small lanes near Grand Place and take advantage of the offers random waiters offer you on their doorstep.

Im pretty comfortable using the trams and subway, so locations aren't too much of an issue.

Thanks!

fnarr fnnnar... nowhere near gar du nord at all then?

tbh i have only been there on business and for me Brussels is a city that cant make its mind up .. so gave up trying. Its an expensive place to visit IME and ghent is a much much much nicer place (just a few minutes by train).

my own opinion of briussels is its overpriced and there are far better places to spend your time if you have a choice. I am there 2 or 3 times a month as I am doing some work for NATO and I stay near the grand palace. to date i have not found anywhere decent and cheap to eat/drink so if you do I will grateful if yo can pass the tips on.

eta ... dave is right btw. at night g d midi is not a good place to look like a tourist.

oooh i just realised i have told a porky.

therre was somewhere that was nice and cheap to boot.

it was a kebab shop on rue des palais which tbh exceeded my expectations somewhat

given where this was located .. low. but tbh it actually was a really nice kebab

it was the time they put me in a hotel right next to the red light district and the choice of food wsa kebab.. kebab or kebab

I walked about the centre a lot at night and didn't see any bother or shadier characters than you get back home. No pubs or restaurants stood out particularly and Brussels is a pretty small place. If you're there for a few days, you need to try some nearby cities/towns (Bruges, Antwerp, Ghent) so as not to get bored.

In a couple of weeks I am going to Brussels on the Eurostar for a day trip. This is mainly a fancy tobacco run. I get there about 11 in the morning and the train home is about 7.30, so what should I do while I am there?

I will need to find somewhere to purchase my tobacco, preferably Old Holburn, and at a competitive rate, maybe a supermarket of something?

! will need to have a nice lunch, somehwere with good people watching potential?

Is there anywhere good to go shopping? with quirky / crafty type stuff?

Is there a nice park to take a wander through?

Any museums near the station that are worth a look?

Brussels is small so there's a lot thats easily accessible.
Park + Museums = Parc Cinquintinaire, a large green space with one of those typical European triumphal arches in, either side of which are 2 museums, 1 war, 1 old cars. The war museum is awesome. This isn't that near the station but only 10mins on the Metro away.
Grand Place, is the main old heart of the city, very ornate architecture surrounded by cafes, bars and chocolate shops, and tourist tat, a few stops from Eurostar station (Gare du Midi). Take a south exit from this square and walk to 'Bourse' (the old staock market building), there's some quirky tourist shops around there. Rue Neuve for shopping, pedestrian precinct.
Any Del Haize supermarket should sell you baccy.

At last a response to Brussels - I held back as I think it has the character of Maesteg on a wet day ...

Hard to like really ....though it is an acquired taste one gathers. Watch yourself around Midi and area.

I worked there for 2 years. It was an endurance test. Nice enough for a weekend visit but to live in it tends to grind you down. Customer service is zero and so renting a flat and trying to get all the modern services up and running, phone, tv, internet is an absolute nightmare. Traffic is horrendous and they don't care about rules of the road and the weather is largely 'grey'. At the weekends it can be soulless as most EU and contract workers (like I was) go home. The best thing about it was solid work for 2 years and the people I met were a laugh, that made it bearable but I was so glad getting on that final Eurostar home.

I think there are loads of shops selling cigarettes, chocolate etc. in the Gare Midi but I can't vouch for their prices being the most competitive. There is a decent main art gallery so if that's your thing get the tobacco sorted and head there. The last time my other half was there (about 18 months ago) you could still smoke in bars which I think was his highlight!

Back
Top Bottom